Q400 seat height

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Orvlrite
Rank 0
Rank 0

Q400 seat height

Post by Orvlrite »

a bit of a random post but any other Q/dash pilots find the eye level indicator puts your seat too high?

I'm a fairly average height person and I find the recommended seat height to be on the high side, not sure if other people have noticed this or I've just been sitting too low my whole life

(I know a bunch of people will say to just lower the seat to wherever you want it..but I'd like to know if anyone else has thinks the same)
---------- ADS -----------

Wanderingpilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Q400 seat height

Post by Wanderingpilot »

Not sure

Commonwealth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Commonwealth »

I think you should adjust the seat to whatever is best for you.

The nice thing about the dash is the eye leveller allows you to set the seat to the same hight every time.

nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by nightbird »

The only problem with sitting too low is during low vis approaches you might not see the runway in time. I've never flown the Q but on the RJ if you're sitting too low during a Cat II approach you won't see the runway at minimums due to the angle you are looking at the runway (shallower angle looking further down the runway)

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

I used to sit pretty low in the Q, about two seat clicks below where the DERP balls said I should be. I find though that in order to see through the HUD properly, you actually need to be bang on with them or you’ll get the bottom part of the projection cut off.

speedah
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by speedah »

Usually sit so that im slightly low according to the indicator. Any higher and the pedals feel weird

ctmorawetz
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ctmorawetz »

I sit with the seat all of the way up because I like having the visibility over the nose. I'm 5'11" with long legs and a small torso. If it's a CAT II approach I would just lower it to match the eye indicator.

Keep your stick on the ice - Red Green
Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

The eyeball reference indicators on the windshield post are a certification requirement.
All commercial aircraft certified under FAR 25 have eyeball reference indicators.

Adjusting your seat to the corresponding level has little to do with comfort. Aligning seat position to them also accounts for various pilot heights.
You may also have noticed them mentioned in your FCOM. They're about pilot eye to wheel height at minimums regarding instrument scan and outside visual references. Maybe your manual has an illustration reference where the aircraft is profiled at minimums above the runway lights, runway, etc. to illustrate what you should see at minimums for outside approach lights. It's probably a good idea to properly sight your seat position using those indicators and getting used to it. There's no mulligan under the CARs either as they are literally a copy of the FARs.

FAR 25.773 (d)
"Fixed markers or other guides must be installed at each pilot station to enable the pilots to position themselves in their seats for an optimum combination of outside visibility and instrument scan. If lighted markers or guides are used they must comply with the requirements specified in §25.1381."
(FAR 25.1381 has to do with cockpit lighting requirements)

Gino Under :partyman:

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"

Return to “General Comments”