Favourite Places to Fly To In Canada?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Eric_Bender
Rank 0
Rank 0

Favourite Places to Fly To In Canada?

Post by Eric_Bender »

Hey everyone!
Haven't been active on this forum in a while, too busy finishing my PPL and doing school. My dad and I purchased a Zenith CH250 (C-GDEX) for me to build up my hours on and complete my training with. Waiting for my flight test, Im getting ready to plan some flying so I can build up some hours before I go for my commercial licence. I turn 18 in may, and don't have any school after January. The goal is to fly as much as possible before my birthday and get my commercial Licence training completed by April so I can fly across the country dropping resumes off wherever I go, and have hope that some one will hire a young and enthusiastic pilot (Who technically has CPL done, just cant submit paperwork to transport or work until I turn 18). I know it is a lot to do, but no harm with setting goals, right?
Anyways getting back on topic, what are your favourite places to fly to in Canada? Wanting to fly to some places which are GA friendly and will be fun to fly into so I can build some hours, gain some experience and maybe meet some cool people along the way.
Thanks for your help! am really excited to be joining the aviation community and continue with my dream of being a commercial pilot.

Cheers
-Eric
---------- ADS -----------

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Favourite Places to Fly To In Canada?

Post by Cat Driver »

My advice is head out in some direction from your home airport and just fly where ever you decide to go the next day.

The people at the airports you land at will give you lots of good info on where to go next.

Have fun, do not push weather and have a good flight following device with you that your family can monitor.

Keep us informed as to how it is going.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

Try a flight up to Yellowknife in the summer. I went there a few years ago in early June. It was a great adventure navigating up there and with the warm temperatures and almost constant daylight, it was really pleasant to explore.
One of my other favourite places was Golden, BC. The steep mountain valleys leading to Golden were incredible to fly through. The Unicom operator at the airport when I was there was a kind woman and her Golden Retriever, sitting out on a deck in the sun.
Rocky Mountain House is also an interesting airport to visit. If you are able to catch the airport operator while he's there, he may give you a tour of his hangar full of aerobatic aircraft from the Pitts Special to the Extra 300 and even a Bede 5 Jet on the work bench. There's a lot of aerobatic activity there, so make sure you read the CFS and stay away from the 'practice box' if they're flying.

Good luck with the training! ..My time building flights were some of my best experiences with aviation. Good to make the most of them!

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

Eric,

If you make it to Red Deer let me know, I should have some extra space in my hangar for you.

Glenn

Eric_Bender
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Eric_Bender »

youhavecontrol wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:06 pm Try a flight up to Yellowknife in the summer. I went there a few years ago in early June. It was a great adventure navigating up there and with the warm temperatures and almost constant daylight, it was really pleasant to explore.
One of my other favourite places was Golden, BC. The steep mountain valleys leading to Golden were incredible to fly through. The Unicom operator at the airport when I was there was a kind woman and her Golden Retriever, sitting out on a deck in the sun.
Rocky Mountain House is also an interesting airport to visit. If you are able to catch the airport operator while he's there, he may give you a tour of his hangar full of aerobatic aircraft from the Pitts Special to the Extra 300 and even a Bede 5 Jet on the work bench. There's a lot of aerobatic activity there, so make sure you read the CFS and stay away from the 'practice box' if they're flying.

Good luck with the training! ..My time building flights were some of my best experiences with aviation. Good to make the most of them!
Thanks for the Reply!
I went up to Rocky for their last airshow in august and it was awesome!! met a ton of cool people and even got a tour of the water bomber base! want to get mountain checkout asap and go do some flying in the rocks. It looks like the coolest kind of flying. Thanks for the reply!!

Eric_Bender
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Eric_Bender »

C-GKNT wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:07 am Eric,

If you make it to Red Deer let me know, I should have some extra space in my hangar for you.

Glenn
That sounds great, Ill send you a PM

CanadianBird
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CanadianBird »

C-GKNT wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:07 am Eric,

Glenn
Glenn,
I'm currently working on my PPL in CYQF, with plans to eventually buy an aircraft (preferably a Mooney). If you have time over the next 12 months or so, I'd love to meet up and pick your brain.
Lots on the market below the border, and a few up here. Just hoping to obtain some first hand information on models, +/- and what you'd be looking for.

Thanks!
Chris

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Churchill and Eureka are great to visit.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yhz41 »

Churchill if you can manage it, closest place for avgas is Thompson (maybe Gillam, never checked) although there's a 185 sitting on the ramp at yyq. Kenora is a neat place as well.

matthew.oommen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by matthew.oommen »

Sneak down to Oshkosh in the summer, it’s a hoot!

waterdog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by waterdog »

Where about is home base, that makes a difference......

matthew.oommen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by matthew.oommen »

matthew.oommen wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:42 pm Sneak down to Oshkosh in the summer, it’s a hoot!
Edit : I know it’s not Canada, but worth it

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

CanadianBird wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:54 am Glenn,
I'm currently working on my PPL in CYQF, with plans to eventually buy an aircraft (preferably a Mooney). If you have time over the next 12 months or so, I'd love to meet up and pick your brain.
Lots on the market below the border, and a few up here. Just hoping to obtain some first hand information on models, +/- and what you'd be looking for.

Thanks!
Chris
Hi Chris... certainly, PM me your e-mail address or phone#.

Glenn

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Whitehorse is gorgeous, specially with the Aurora.

Have fun.

S.

Oldguystrtn2fly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oldguystrtn2fly »

I don’t know Eric but I believe DEX is sitting at CEA3

Mostly Harmless
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mostly Harmless »

I have a personal affinity for the mountains of BC and Alberta. Nelson and Kaslo area are beautiful to fly into. There are a bunch of airstrips on the islands between the mainland and Vancouver Island that look very inviting.

propfeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by propfeather »

Kaslo, Crawford Bay, Pangnirtung, and Revelstoke are my favourites.

Oldguystrtn2fly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oldguystrtn2fly »

propfeather wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:46 am Kaslo, Crawford Bay, Pangnirtung, and Revelstoke are my favourites.
Pretty sure Crawford bay is closed.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

Check ahead for avgas, especially in the smaller and/or northern areas. Had a co-worker get caught once when he called ahead to find out about fuel availability and was told that they sold avgas by the drum. He planned accordingly so he could upload the entire drum (they didn't sell partial drums), but when he got there, he found out that he was supposed to bring his own pump. Seems that was so common that they didn't think to mention it to him, and he had never encountered it before so he didn't think to ask....

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Awesome plan! Do what Cat Driver said. Pack a bedroll and your shaving kit. Pick a direction. Fly to a place that is in that direction. Find out if they will let you camp, or find a hostel in that town. Decide that evening where you will go the next morning. End up in Banff at some point. Meet some girls. Take them for rides. Maybe get some tail. Fly away in the morning. Be prepared to stay an extra day if she's extra pretty. The world is your oyster with that little plane. Don't plan too far ahead. Stay out of thunderstorms. Don't do anything I wouldn't do!

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself

Return to “General Comments”