Best Cell Plan for Caribbean and Mexico

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Best Cell Plan for Caribbean and Mexico

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

I'm starting a new job that flies almost exclusively to the sun destinations and I was wondering for those at ROU, WJA, SWG and AT what you do for voice calling and especially data when down south. I've read about using an unlocked phone and having different SIM cards for each country, but I don't know if there's an easier option than that without having to buy daily travel packs at $10 per day from Telus, Rogers or the other carriers.

All I would need is for the occasional phone call and checking email/weather if the wifi is spotty.
---------- ADS -----------

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Best Cell Plan for Caribbean and Mexico

Post by BE20 Driver »

I only ever use wifi at the hotels and airports I'm at. Sometimes it isn't available at an airport (Cancun comes to mind.) When I'm in a pinch (only a few times in the last year or so) have I ever turned on my cell in another country. I would only ever use my phone for personal use as the company won't reimburse me anyway.

I know that some of the US carriers have a truly good North American plan that covers Mexico and Canada for a somewhat reasonable price all things considered. Canadian carriers, not so much.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

We used to buy and simply get a phone unlocked (cheap compared to Canada), and use sim cards for each island on pay as you go.
It really is not difficult.
I have no idea about Mexico. Never spent much time there since cell phones became availabe....geezI am old...

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
hst
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hst »

Try this https://www.worldsim.com

Their data rates are much cheaper than the extortion rates we pay at home. Pick up a mobile hotspot (around $80 cdn).

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”