Realistic expectations: age 42 with past lasik surgery?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

opera
Rank 1
Rank 1

Realistic expectations: age 42 with past lasik surgery?

Post by opera »

Hello, I hope this is the right forum, I am a new user and future lurker/binge reader. Well I said most of it in my subject line. I see reports on a pilot shortage in Canada and after more than 10 years working a desk job in Europe am dying to come back home for a complete career change. I am 42 and had successful lasik surgery seven years ago, corrected severe myopia. Currently near perfect eyesight residual slight astigmatism. So assuming I started flight school next year some time, I'll be close to 47 by the time I could get a CPL I figure, leaving a 20-year career.

Brutal honesty welcome as to how realistic/delusional this is. Thanks so much.
---------- ADS -----------

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Realistic expectations: age 42 with past lasik surgery?

Post by ant_321 »

Make sure you do some serious research before jumping in head first. The conditions and money early on in your career will be terrible. You won't need anywhere near the 5ish years you are quoting for a CPL. my advice for someone your age is to get your training done ASAP. Find a flying club in a place with decent weather and you should be able to get everything done in a about a year. When I was a flight instructor I had a student who was in his mid 40's when he made the jump. Less than 5 years after he started his PPL he was a captain on a dash 8 and quite content with his decision.

opera
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by opera »

@ant_321 that is an encouraging reply, thank you. I am at that intensive research stage and happy to find this forum.

opera
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by opera »

Do companies tend to have a maximum hiring age? I already saw one company for example that does not hire new pilots over age 40.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Age discrimination is real in every career path. Illegal, but it's there.

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

AirFrame wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:35 am Age discrimination is real in every career path. Illegal, but it's there.

It's sure is out there, I noticed they don't want to touch guys older or over 45 or more as they would prefer young guys.

You said you'd be ready by 47 I wish you the best of luck you will need it, unless you know somebody somewhere that is willing to give you that opportunity.

opera
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by opera »

OK thanks for the honesty

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

opera wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:26 am OK thanks for the honesty
Who would you rather hire a new commercial rated young pilot in their 20s with no family yet and is willing to work 7 days a week so to speak or the 45,50,55 year old that due to family priorities can't dedicate 7 days a week so to speak .

Companies at the entry level don't care about life experiences that new pilots can bring as long as you can legally fly you are good to go.

I believe Cat Driver is the only one that I read on this site that would hire that 55 or 60 year old because of their maturity and life experience.

I'd think twice at 47 year of age to do this.

opera
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by opera »

Assumptions :-) Some of us still make it to 42 with zero family commitments, pity me or envy me, it is what it is.

If I go through with it, I'll throw myself in.

ETA If I was hiring I would figure someone making such a huge career change at this stage is hugely motivated.

Last edited by opera on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

opera wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:58 am Assumptions :-) Some of us still make it to 42 with zero family commitments, pity me or envy me, it is what it is.

If I go through with it, I'll throw myself in.
You're right not all 42 year Olds have family commitments and if you're one of them that doesn't have that you're up a foot from guys like us that do and that will work in your favor .

Good luck and hope for the best.

opera
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by opera »

Thanks :-) It's still just in the research stage, we'll see.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

My advice:

Don't do it for perceived money reasons.

Do it because you truly love to fly and would do it for free. I got my PPL / CPL very late and thought I was headed to missions flying in my 40's. Didn't work out and I'm still running my business, and extremely content. Very content to fly for pleasure. From what I know of airline life no thanks. So recommend you understand all the industry aspects and lifestyle very well.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

opera wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:09 am Hello, I hope this is the right forum, I am a new user and future lurker/binge reader. Well I said most of it in my subject line. I see reports on a pilot shortage in Canada and after more than 10 years working a desk job in Europe am dying to come back home for a complete career change. I am 42 and had successful lasik surgery seven years ago, corrected severe myopia. Currently near perfect eyesight residual slight astigmatism. So assuming I started flight school next year some time, I'll be close to 47 by the time I could get a CPL I figure, leaving a 20-year career.

Brutal honesty welcome as to how realistic/delusional this is. Thanks so much.
I know a guy who has done lasik 20 years ago, and has been a 777 captain at Singapore, Korean, and Qatar. So I would not consider lasik to be an impediment.

As far as inserting yourself into the industry is concerned, there are many paths, but it still remains a crap shoot.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
opera
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by opera »

Thanks rookiepilot and confusedalot. Airlines are not my goal. It's those aerial documentaries of the Canadian north that get me. One YT vlogger is flying survey around Quebec 18 months after starting his PPL. He's also mid-twenties though.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

opera wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:02 am Do companies tend to have a maximum hiring age? I already saw one company for example that does not hire new pilots over age 40.
That depends on the company. The fact that you'd be prepared to stay is a big selling point imho.

A friend was hired at 62 (experienced A330 Captain) and they even checked him out on the A340. This was in Asia.

At my present company we have several over 60 F/O and several retired Captains from major airlines. Age isn't an issue - I think given the nature of the flying the company does they are happy to get the experience (all the previously mentioned people are type rated and very experienced). This a European company.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
opera
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by opera »

Thanks, Eric Janson. From what I've read so far on this forum and elsewhere it sounds like small operators are hard hit by the pilot shortage.

maturepilot83
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maturepilot83 »

I'm a career changer too. You're not delusional. People will tell you that you are. My family thinks I'm crazy. My CFI thinks I'm crazy too! lol! He's a great guy and awesome boss and I get where he's coming from, but at the end of the day you need to do what makes you happy. The shortage is very real. Find a good instructor. Your PPL is the most important license you'll work on as you build the foundation for your future licenses/ratings.

Keep smashin' the passion.

opera
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by opera »

Thanks so much maturepilot83.

GQ4
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GQ4 »

The LASIK should not be a big deal as long as there are no side effects (halos, starbursting, etc). You might want to look into getting a Category 1 medical now, there might be some follow up paperwork for an ophthalmologist so it could take a little time, but again, I wouldn't expect any issues. Better to sort that out now for the medical exam fee (<$200) before you starting spending any real money/time.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Eric Janson wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:12 am
opera wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:02 am Do companies tend to have a maximum hiring age? I already saw one company for example that does not hire new pilots over age 40.
That depends on the company. The fact that you'd be prepared to stay is a big selling point imho.

A friend was hired at 62 (experienced A330 Captain) and they even checked him out on the A340. This was in Asia.

At my present company we have several over 60 F/O and several retired Captains from major airlines. Age isn't an issue - I think given the nature of the flying the company does they are happy to get the experience (all the previously mentioned people are type rated and very experienced). This a European company.
I am 58 and I am excluded from the market, only based on age, and the advertised age limits appear to be between 50 and 55. Certainly is not 19000TT, AND, recruiters are looking for 6 month recency, which I do not have.

Not so sure about age NOT being a deal breaker...................

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?

Return to “Flight Training”