Sporty's Learn to Fly course for Canadian Pilots

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Boeing911
Rank 0
Rank 0

Sporty's Learn to Fly course for Canadian Pilots

Post by Boeing911 »

Does anyone have any opinions on Sporty's course and if it's useful for a learning Canadian pilot? Are there any other materials that should be studied?

Thanks for any info
---------- ADS -----------

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Sporty's Learn to Fly course for Canadian Pilots

Post by Beefitarian »

Ok, I'll type out an opinion. I'm not afraid.

It's probably pretty good. All these kind of things are subjective. Some people will watch them and love them. Someone else will be angry because they spent the money and learned more reading from the ground up.

One thing that will be slightly different will be the law parts. It shouldn't mess you up but could cost you a point on the written when you answer something that is different because you memorized the American number.

whistlerboy02
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by whistlerboy02 »

I used the King Videos for all my Canadian IFR, Commercial and ATPL written exams and I swear by them. Yes some thing are different but I think the understanding and retention you gain will exceed negatives associated with studying the American material

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

Beefitarian wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:17 pm Ok, I'll type out an opinion. I'm not afraid.

It's probably pretty good. All these kind of things are subjective. Some people will watch them and love them. Someone else will be angry because they spent the money and learned more reading from the ground up.

One thing that will be slightly different will be the law parts. It shouldn't mess you up but could cost you a point on the written when you answer something that is different because you memorized the American number.

Exactly. Just be careful especially if you're studying for your PPL, as it's more difficult to unlearn something later on. Sporty's, being American, will probably have the FAA regs when it comes to air law, airspace etc.... There are other products out there that are specifically for the Canadian market. It's worth looking around and comparing the different products.

LifeAt90Kts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LifeAt90Kts »

I don't have much knowledge of the sporty's course, other than it isn't entirely relevant to a Canadian pilot.

Harv's Air online private pilot ground school includes a PSTAR course, radio operator course, and what I find most useful, an air exersize course with in cockpit video and step by step breakdown of all the manoeuvres required of a private pilot. As well of course, a very comprehensive private pilot ground school with a forum for each topic where you can ask flight instructors questions about any of the material.

https://www.pilottraining.ca/index.php? ... uct_id=254

TheChargent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TheChargent »

+1 For the Harvs Air. Some really great explanations in there. I wish I bought it so much sooner than I had.

Return to “Flight Training”