Cessna 408 - FedEx orders 100

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

xchox
Rank 5
Rank 5

Cessna 408 - FedEx orders 100

Post by xchox »

Wonder how this will affect the DHC-6 and to a lesser extent the Evektor EV-55...

http://txtav.com/en/newsroom/2017/11/te ... sc_camp=0A
---------- ADS -----------

Meatservo wrote:I just slap 'em in there. I don't even make sure they are lined up properly.
BeaverDreamer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Cessna 408 - FedEx orders 100

Post by BeaverDreamer »

Looks like a C208 vs. -3T type scenario, totally different airplane compared to the twotter. Looks like Cessna really nailed this one though, and with that order secured it already seems destined for success. Can't see too much overlap in the market with the -6 though, I'm sure there are some situations where it would be viable but I can't see the 408 working off-strip in the north or on floats!

Mostly Harmless
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mostly Harmless »

I hope it does better in icing conditions that the C-208.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Brilliant to design it around the LD3 container, but as far as the passenger commuter variant, I'm not so sure how well it's going to work without any space for luggage. Compared to a 1900D it's about 2/3rds slower and an extra seats width to pull through the air all with 2200SHP. While having fixed gear and no pressurization keeps things light and simple, it's dimensions are huge, seems like a pig for anything other than flying freight. If the 1900 is a twin PC-12, this thing is definitely a twin C208.

The Barrel Man
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by The Barrel Man »

Someone needs to invent some sort of reverse T tail so it could actually be de-iced up north with limited facilities.

Thunder Bay radio, HEG is in the airborne section, call final for 27
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I want to see a picture of an actual plane first. So far it's all virtual smoke and mirrors.

No pressurisation means it's stuck in the weather and bumps, exactly where passengers don't want to be. Probably pretty noisy too (no flight levels, means not as cold, means less insulation). I predict it will be a hit with cargo, but a flop for passenger carrying. I suppose FedEx doesn't care though, looks like a great airplane for them.

It's not much of a competitor to the Twin Otter, it's quite a big bigger. Sort of like the CS Series and the 737 :D

Dizzy D
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dizzy D »

They need to make a 408 Pressurized version. I feel like there will be a need for a commuter plane on the market in the next few years. All these metro’s and 1900’s aren’t going to last forever, and there is nothing to replace them right now.

The Barrel Man
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by The Barrel Man »

I suspect passengers are not the main reason for this aircraft. If it was it would be retractable, pressurized and have more horsepower. It seems great for places like Northwestern Ontario, drop off freight and run a couple of side trips with passengers or just combi loads. Work it hard with multiple legs per day with hopefully simple systems that will keep the dispatch realiablity up. Agreed that there is a big hole in the market for a next generation 19 seat aircraft. Wonder who will throw down for that.

Thunder Bay radio, HEG is in the airborne section, call final for 27
linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

Wonder they will eventually have a version on floats. If it's as much of a runaway success as the Caravan, it could give the Twotter a real run for the money.

TailwheelPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TailwheelPilot »

The Barrel Man wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:34 pmIt seems great for places like Northwestern Ontario, drop off freight and run a couple of side trips with passengers or just combi loads.
On Cessna's site the cargo version has a big door and no windows. The passenger version has big windows and a narrow air stair door. It doesn't look like combi-loads or bouncing back and forth between cargo and passenger configuration is a concern in the design.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

The specialized market for the -400 is too small... same with the 1900 and Metro market—which is why neither are made anymore.

There’s going to be a lot of people who will choose this over the -400. Jumper dumpers, tour companies, inter island airlines, etc. Even on floats if takeoff distances aren’t a big concern.

Plus Textron has the capital and industrial capacity to make this happen. Viking is seems more like a two guys in a shed kind of operation.. unable to fill a large FedEx order even if they got one.

Brantford Beech Boy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brantford Beech Boy »

is it just me,
or does this thing look like a Kingair 200 got drunk on a layover and ended up knocking up a Dornier 228....

:rolleyes:
BBB

"Almost anywhere, almost anytime...worldwide(ish)"

Return to “General Comments”