CPL Written Nav Questions

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Roarjo
Rank 0
Rank 0

CPL Written Nav Questions

Post by Roarjo »

Hi everyone, i am studying for the CPL written exam. I am using . exam questions, Sharper edge, Canadian commercial pilot answer guide all in tandem.
If have being practicing Nav exam questions with . and my question is in regards to the proximity of the multiple choice answers to each other.
Example, i was asked to calculate the estimated time en route to a certain point. I used my flight computer, put in wind calc, TAS etc etc, and got an answer of "47 minutes" The choices i had to choose from were a)44 mins, b)46 mins, C)48 mins and d)50 mins.
I picked 48 minuets based on my calculations with the flight computer, but the answer was 46 minuets.
Are the answers i have to choose from in the transport Canada exam going to be this close together? or am i just doing the calculation incorrect and i need to have a long look at myself in the mirror :)
If you are interested the question i am am talking about is Question 57 from exam paper 4 on the 2014 . commercial pilot written test book
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: CPL Written Nav Questions

Post by CpnCrunch »

No, as far as I remember the actual TC questions aren't that sneaky. Just make sure you read all the questions carefully.

superbilly24
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by superbilly24 »

I wrote my CPL written exam last week. Compared to Sharper Edge, I found the answers on TC to be not as close together.
Example : TC would've been something like A) 34 min B) 39 min C) 48 min D) 59min.
Lots of VOR / ADF / NDB questions. VOT checks. Custom clearance. And dont be surprised if they make you plan a XC between US and Canada, which I hadn't really studied for. :shock:
Good luck !

Maple_30
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Maple_30 »

superbilly24 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:33 am I wrote my CPL written exam last week. Compared to Sharper Edge, I found the answers on TC to be not as close together.
Example : TC would've been something like A) 34 min B) 39 min C) 48 min D) 59min.
Lots of VOR / ADF / NDB questions. VOT checks. Custom clearance. And dont be surprised if they make you plan a XC between US and Canada, which I hadn't really studied for. :shock:
Good luck !
What about other subjects such as Air Law, General Knowledge and Meteorology?
Did you found the questions tricky ?

Thanks for your feedback!

superbilly24
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by superbilly24 »

For the other subjects, I would say most questions are comparable to what you will find in Sharper Edge. Most questions are straight forward and not tricky at all. Reading the questions twice also helps.
I did all 600 questions in Sharper Edge before the exam and it was definitely worth it. I also used the Royal Canadian Air Force Weather Manual, and From the Ground Up to study.
Few things I would make sure to go over before the exam :
Air Law : life preservers / life rafts, aerodrome markings, PAPI/VASI, oxygen requirements, duty time, recurrent training, medicals, VFR weather minima...
Gen : time of useful consciousness after depressurization, hypoxia, dentist, blood donation, turbochargers, flight instruments, forces acting on aircraft, stability...
Met : air masses, fronts, altimeter setting and MSL pressure, true altitude, relative humidity, properties of the atmosphere, fog, METAR, TAF, GFA, FDs...
All stuff that is covered in Sharper Edge. If you do all the prep questions and understand them, you should be well prepared.

Return to “Flight Training”