Can you wobble while landing?

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Can you wobble while landing?

Post by Cat Driver »

Exactly swithflicker, the subject is the take off and landing phases of flight I was trying to emphasize, and we both understand the handling of power and why it is that way.

However many here do not understand it and I see nothing wrong with discussing it.

I won't argue with it. Hopefully by that stage a pilot knows when to make - and when not to make - power adjustments.
Photofly I am not describing power adjustments, I am describing aircraft handling during take off and landing and power use is part of that process because there are many instances where differential power will be used to control yaw.

Back to single engine power handling on take off, if you are flying an airplane such as a Beaver on floats with the big heavy two bladed prop and you quickly rotate the nose down in the pitching movement as you rotate unto the step the gyroscopic procession will produce a yaw that the rudder will not overcome.

So you have two methods with which to control yaw and maintain control of the airplane.

If you are not holding the throttle you have deprived yourself of one of the means of stopping the yaw.

If you use the other means of stopping the yaw what happens to take off performance?

There you go photofly you are an instructor so describe to all your students in a clear and understandable description of the two actions and the difference in the two methods of yaw control in the above scenario.
---------- ADS -----------

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Which supports my point. I put my hand on the throttle for periods of time and manoeuvres during which for some reason I need to make throttle adjustments. Then I take it off again. The throttle is not used as a hand rest. At least not in my airplane.

As far as landing goes, I work very hard at finding the right power setting so I don't have to make lots of throttle adjustments. When I've done so, I take my hand off the throttle. If I screwed up or misjudged the wind then I put my hand back on the throttle to make whatever adjustment is necessary. If for some other reason I anticipate a continuous series of throttle adjustments then I'll leave it there while I make those adjustments. Mostly that's not necessary. Mostly my hand isn't on the throttle. Because I'm not adjusting the throttle. I'm also not adjusting the mixture, or the flaps, or the radios, and my hand doesn't rest on those controls either.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Which supports my point. I put my hand on the throttle for periods of time and manoeuvres during which for some reason I need to make throttle adjustments. Then I take it off again. The throttle is not used as a hand rest. At least not in my airplane.
I also do not use the throttle/'s as a hand rest photofly but I do keep my hand on it, them, during the critical phases of take off and landing for the simple reason that I like to be in complete control of power should I need it especially differential power.

Have you ever experienced aggressive yaw caused by one engine going into reverse and the other one still in beta in a tail wheel twin engine turbo prop airplane?

If you have and you did not have your hand on the throttles you must have had quite a ride.

You did not respond to the question about yaw in the Beaver float plane by the way.

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Cat Driver wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:04 pm
I also do not use the throttle/'s as a hand rest photofly but I do keep my hand on it, them, during the critical phases of take off and landing for the simple reason that I like to be in complete control of power should I need it especially differential power.
How long do you consider the critical phases of takeoff and landing to last?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Personally I consider the critical phase of a take off in a multi engine to be from when power is applied to start the take off run to when the airplane is stable in the climb and climb power is set and the airplane is trimmed to maintain that attitude, generally around four hundred feet.

That is when I do not keep my hand on the power levers.

On landing it is from two hundred feet to when the airplane is clear of the runway.

I am a very simple minded sort of person and taking into consideration I can comfortably fly the machine with one hand on the control column/stick and the other hand on the power levers I see no reason to let the power levers go when flaring for a landing...or on the runway and during the initial start of the climb.

In my simple mind if is sort of like I would rather have a gun I don't need than need a gun I don't have.

Note:::

That is my method of handling power and it has worked very well for me and I have never had one get away from me using that technique.

The bottom line though is if someone else has a better way and it works for them that also is good.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Cat Driver wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:58 pm
Personally I consider the critical phase of a take off in a multi engine to be from when power is applied to start the take off run to when the airplane is stable in the climb and climb power is set and the airplane is trimmed to maintain that attitude, generally around four hundred feet.

That is when I do not keep my hand on the power levers.

On landing it is from two hundred feet to when the airplane is clear of the runway.

I am a very simple minded sort of person and taking into consideration I can comfortably fly the machine with one hand on the control column/stick and the other hand on the power levers I see no reason to let the power levers go when flaring for a landing...or on the runway and during the initial start of the climb.
I don't have any argument with anyone who keeps a hand on the throttle(s) at those times.

switchflicker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by switchflicker »

In my simple mind if is sort of like I would rather have a gun I don't need than need a gun I don't have.

Is that not what Capt. McCrea and I have been saying for years?

"I'd rather have it and not need than to need it and not have it" Capt. Augustus McCrae.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Cat Driver wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:23 pm Back to the original question.

When wobble pumping a 985 you can quit wobbling to attend to another problem for a short period of time because the fuel pressure does not immediately go to zero when you stop wobbling, so you can pause without the engine quitting completely.
Thanks for the info. I suppose it depends on the power setting as to how long you can stop wobbling.

I have also seen a wobble pump on a 1340 equipped aircraft. Anybody know if it is the same?

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

I suppose it depends on the power setting as to how long you can stop wobbling.
Sure, each wobble ocillation moves a given amount of fuel. For example while idling off the active to the ramp a few wobbles here and there was good enough to make it over to the parking spot.

Risking a goaround would not have been wise IMO. Deadsticking it in steeply (letting it quit) was the perfect solution, no hand needed on the trigger either (since at that point you don't "have" one nor "need" one).

Can you imagine screwing that one up (that landing) and having to wobble like a fool retracting flap etc ... under full power ... with a load ?

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

pdw wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:18 am
I suppose it depends on the power setting as to how long you can stop wobbling.
Sure, each wobble ocillation moves a given amount of fuel. For example while idling off the active to the ramp a few wobbles here and there was good enough to make it over to the parking spot.
So...you actually did this in an aircraft where the engine-driven pump was not working? You make it sound like it was normal operation at some point.

Thanks.

peterdillon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by peterdillon »

The main pumps on lots of Beavers are the originals and 60 years old so yes they do quit. Lots now have the STC for the electric pump as a third backup. The wobble pump is kind of low on the centre console which makes it difficult to look out over the engine to land while the other had is down by your foot. Wouldn't dream of not having my hand on the throttle for take off and landing on floats or skis. The most memorable was coming into a small glassy water lake as it was getting dark. Made a turn at low altitude on final approach (bad move) and wasn't aware I was still drifting till I touched the water. The left wing was just about to hit the water at the same time I opened the tap. Ended up being a non event but I can assure you there was no time to reach for anything. In float or ski operations with Beavers and 185's etc unless its rough water or some other special conditions I always short final approach with take off flap and prop in fine pitch and hand on the throttle. There are conditions in bush ops that sometimes require instant action.
Nothing wrong with running your car with the cruise control engaged on ice either I guess. If you feel it start to skid just reach over and shut it off.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

peterdillon wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:01 pm The main pumps on lots of Beavers are the originals and 60 years old so yes they do quit. Lots now have the STC for the electric pump as a third backup. The wobble pump is kind of low on the centre console which makes it difficult to look out over the engine to land while the other had is down by your foot. Wouldn't dream of not having my hand on the throttle for take off and landing on floats or skis. The most memorable was coming into a small glassy water lake as it was getting dark. Made a turn at low altitude on final approach (bad move) and wasn't aware I was still drifting till I touched the water. The left wing was just about to hit the water at the same time I opened the tap. Ended up being a non event but I can assure you there was no time to reach for anything. In float or ski operations with Beavers and 185's etc unless its rough water or some other special conditions I always short final approach with take off flap and prop in fine pitch and hand on the throttle. There are conditions in bush ops that sometimes require instant action.
Nothing wrong with running your car with the cruise control engaged on ice either I guess. If you feel it start to skid just reach over and shut it off.
Are you sure that -2 that you've flown with an STC for an electric fuel pump also relatained the old wobble pump?

News to me as ALL of the STC'ed modified -2's I've flown without a wobble fuel pump didn't have one as part of the STC!!!

As to promote dialogue as far as this thread is concerned...

I thought all "the old timers" stories about "wobbling my way home" were hearsay... until it happened to me.

I was ready to "dead stick it" but fortunately had an able bodied and very understanding right seat passenger. The event in itself was non eventful.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Maybe I have forgotten, but is the wobble pump on a beaver not right under the throttle quadrant? It seems to me years ago, one of our pilots wobbled one in, and when he got lined up and happ, just deadsticked it on.

But this
I don't expect you to give a shit, but I'm in favour of hands off the throttle on approach. Learn to pick a power setting that will take you where you want to go, and stick to it. Thereafter If you need extra or less power, make a throttle adjustment and then take your hand off the thing. It's an engine control, not a finger rest. If you do need full power for a go-around it's mixture and prop first, then throttle, so you're holding the wrong control in any case.

As a youngin I was taught that you had one hand on the throttle right through the approach,

Other than needing to pick or scratch various body parts, why would you not have your hand on the power lever, you know, just in case. You do not have to be continually adjusting them.

Mixture. Pitch Power.. really? There are no planes out there that do not have pitch and mixture controls....the wisdom of the FTU.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

I have seen it happen more then once where a Beaver friction lock does not work properly. That's usually from people pumping the throttle every start with it tightened all the way. That's a separate thread however. Anyways the guy goes bouncing along over the waves while the power slowly comes back. I have also seen airplanes need power quickly on approach close to the water in gusty conditions. Perhaps its a float thing? The only people who fly with two hands on the wheel in a floatplane are swampers holding the plane level while I sleep.

switchflicker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by switchflicker »

Has anyone out there had a seat come unlatched in a buck eighty-five? Of course the pin had to be removed so as to get cargo in in the shortest time possible!! Anyhoo if the seat comes unlatched whilst the floats are crawling onto the step, and you join the back seat folks you'll be glad you pulled the throttle on the way back.

"I'd rather have it and not need than to need it and not have it" Capt. Augustus McCrae.
shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Good googly moogly, we shouldn’t keep our right hand on the throttle on approach and landing now?! I’d love to hear a compelling reason why not, beyond someone’s personal preference. Where else should it be, if not controlling the thrust of the aircraft? That’s akin to saying that once you’re configured and trimmed on approach, you should take your left hand off the control column. Perhaps if all you’re ever doing is taking a light aircraft down a stabilized constant descent angle approach to a huge runway, you might be able to get away with such a bad habit, but like trey pointed out, just because your hand is there doesn’t mean it has to be doing something beyond remaining at the ready. If I’m taking a floatplane to a lake that requires a “chop and drop” approach over terrain features or large trees, you can bet my hand is on the control the whole time. If I’m floating five feet over the tundra trying to drop a ski plane between a pair of three foot high, concrete hard snow drifts, you can bet my hand is on the control the whole time. If I’m dragging an airplane on to a tiny esker or riverbed, or a heavy turboprop into a relatively short strip, you can bet my hand is on the control the whole time, and I’m not going to be too proud to make constant minor adjustments as required to stay exactly on target, and I think I’ll continue to apply that approach even when I’m happily sliding down a glide slope to a nice big unobstructed runway too. I just can’t think of any good reason not to.
I can’t believe this is actually a debate. Don’t we have bigger fish to fry, like the monthly “why is working the ramp a thing” argument? I mean, that’s still not settled, last I checked.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I think there’s a (typical for AvCanada) bit of misunderstanding going on. Unintentionally, or maybe deliberately just simply to have something to argue with.

Of course you’re going to hold the throttles while taking off and landing, or when making a continuous series of small power adjustments such as on an approach in gusty conditions.

But other than a few choice moments of flight (and mostly not even then) flying is not a matter of split second timing on the power controls and lightning reflexes. Not mine - and not when more than a couple of hundred feet above the ground. Perhaps the “I refuse to let go of the throttle just in case” people could say, in case of what?

It’s s your choice If you want to grip the power controls all the way down a 20 mile approach, but I choose not to. I’ll set the throttle and try to leave it be until I’m preparing for the landing.

Is it important? I don’t know. But it was important enough for Cat to make it a “I refuse to employ pilots who,” thing. Clearly important to him.

Although this isn’t and hasn’t been about flight training, I think TK also had a dig about FTUs too, but I didn’t understand it. Perhaps he can explain it more clearly.

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

Switchflicker I have had the seat in a Cessna slide back on me on wheels just as I rotated. I was glad I let go of both the control column and the throttle. Amazing how far away everything looks from back there and how difficult it is to pull yourself back up when you can't reach the dash and the plane's nose is up!

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

phillyfan wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:14 pm Switchflicker I have had the seat in a Cessna slide back on me on wheels just as I rotated. I was glad I let go of both the control column and the throttle. Amazing how far away everything looks from back there and how difficult it is to pull yourself back up when you can't reach the dash and the plane's nose is up!
It is off topic but I ALWAYS check that the seat is properly latched on an aircraft like this at some point prior to takeoff....and once again very thoroughly if the seat was moved again.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Is it important? I don’t know. But it was important enough for Cat to make it a “I refuse to employ pilots who,” thing. Clearly important to him.
O.K. let me be clear on what I meant.

It never ceases to amaze me how many pilots use both hands on the control column to flare and land, especially in multi engine airplanes. And they also use both hands on the control column to rotate and in the initial climb out

So, yes I personally would not hire anyone who operates an airplane that way.

Is that clear enough photofly?

Another thing that I am against is flight instructors who teach shoving the prop levers into fine pitch down wind when doing circuits , never could figure out what their thinking process is.

However I do understand that each individual pilot is free to operate their own airplanes any way they choose.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”