Legal Marijuana

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Legal Marijuana

Post by Meatservo »

Cat Driver wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:59 pm
What are the positives for using it that make the risk worth taking?

Just .. :|
I hear it packs a wicked buzz. (to quote Beavis and Butthead)

It is also useful as a palliative for some painful medical conditions, most if not all of which would probably disqualify you from holding a medical anyway, so that part isn't really germane to this discussion.

For those pilots who like to smoke dope, it packs a wicked buzz. That's the positive. That's what is worth risking your career for. Seems kind of immature to me, but I also have other reasons for not smoking it (I hate the smell and it makes me feel sick) so I can afford to be sanctimonious about it, I suppose. Personally I think everyone is making a way bigger deal out of this than they need to. If "zero tolerance" is the way they are going with this, and I don't have a problem with that, then the course is clear for people who don't like to take the risk of ending their career over something I don't really think is worth fighting for, but that's just me. On the one hand, if I were to smoke weed on Friday, I'm pretty sure I'd be a-OK to fly on Monday. But on the other hand, most of the habitual dope-smokers I know seem, well, a little "dopey". There's a facial expression and a way of talking that I am convinced is more than just a stereotype. Just like some people choose to go on empirical evidence that for them, suggests it's harmless, I choose to err on the side of caution and assume that it's doing something to your brain. Exactly what it's doing is subject to endless debate and, since it's been illegal to smoke it up till now, there isn't a lot of research on the subject. Until there is, I find that I'm supportive of a total ban on the substance for people who use their brains to guide high-speed, fragile machines full of people through the atmosphere,over top of even more people. I'm really, really OK with that. As far as the idea that "legal" and "illegal" should be the only thing that determines whether you should be able to fly commercially or not, I might point out that it's not illegal to have no eyes, either, but it's illegal to fly a plane with no eyes. There are all kinds of other things besides "illegal" that can stop you having the career you want.
---------- ADS -----------

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Meatservo wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:10 pm Exactly what it's doing is subject to endless debate and, since it's been illegal to smoke it up till now, there isn't a lot of research on the subject.
Um, I'm pretty sure the research has been done, decades ago. I'm hoping this will lead to deregulation of the hemp industry and maybe even more studies into its commercial uses. Maybe one day you'll be flying along in a marijuana* powered airplane. Don't fly intoxicated by anything. The rules are in place.

*biofuel

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Rowdy wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:13 pm Ah yes, avcanada, where the same group argues with each other solely for the sake of arguing!
Lol. Everyone needs a hobby. Hot topics are always heavily contested and I think discussion is good. We'll have to ask PDW to monitor the winds on legalization day, wouldn't want to fly through a cloud of pot smoke.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Heliian wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:07 pm
Rowdy wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:13 pm Ah yes, avcanada, where the same group argues with each other solely for the sake of arguing!
Lol. Everyone needs a hobby. Hot topics are always heavily contested and I think discussion is good. We'll have to ask PDW to monitor the winds on legalization day, wouldn't want to fly through a cloud of pot smoke.
:prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Cat Driver wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:59 pm Just .. :|
:D :D

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:29 pm I'm just curious when CNPC Commands the toilet at the back of the aircraft, how hard it is to allocate the # of squares of TP per person.

Is there a checklist for that? :mrgreen:

Based on the comments here, might need to be :shock:
I'm sure there are a lot of stupid senseless things you are just curious about.

Find the answers. Until then, bugger off.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

cncpc wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:36 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:29 pm I'm just curious when CNPC Commands the toilet at the back of the aircraft, how hard it is to allocate the # of squares of TP per person.

http://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/marin-dec-10

Your safe space is calling you. Sorry for the loss of a hero. :D

Look others besides yourself have views on this subject. Sorry that offends you. I suggest don't read if it bothers you that much. :roll:

There's a well known saying -- "you're entitled to your own opinions -- not your own facts".

Last edited by rookiepilot on Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Smoking marijuana and flying can be problematic.

When I was flying water bombers I had a F.O. that smoked on a regular basis and he even did it when I was present such as on the golf course on days when our on call time allowed us to play a round of golf.

It had complained to the company but was told to just keep an eye on him and not to cause a problem because it might cause us to lose the contract.

So I was stuck with a political problem.

Finally it really did involve safety because he showed up for work one morning looking a bit strange, we got sent on a fire and I made the mistake of flying with him. I knew he had been smoking weed the previous day because I saw him doing it.

We were dropping on a fire where we had to fly over high tension wires in a valley and just as we were about to cross the wires he pulled the power on both engines.

I quickly shoved the throttles back up and asked him what in f.ck he was doing and he just looked off into the distance like he was on another planet.

I called the bird dog and told him I had a problem and was returning to base.

When we landed I told the bird dog officer and the pilot what had happened and they said to get back in the airplane and get back on the fire.

I refused and was told I would never fly again.

The company and the fire centre got involved and I was told to either fly or I was finished.

So I called a lawyer and we called Ottawa and talked to the Minister of Transport and advised him I was calling the RCMP and demanding the F.O. be taken to a hospital and tested for drugs in his system.

Well to make a long story short I not only was not fired, they quietly sent the F.O. back home and sent me a new F.O.

The moral to my story is rule of law trumps internal politics every time.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Cat Driver wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:22 pm Smoking marijuana and flying can be problematic.

When I was flying water bombers I had a F.O. that smoked on a regular basis and he even did it when I was present such as on the golf course on days when our on call time allowed us to play a round of golf.

It had complained to the company but was told to just keep an eye on him and not to cause a problem because it might cause us to lose the contract.

So I was stuck with a political problem.

Finally it really did involve safety because he showed up for work one morning looking a bit strange, we got sent on a fire and I made the mistake of flying with him. I knew he had been smoking weed the previous day because I saw him doing it.

We were dropping on a fire where we had to fly over high tension wires in a valley and just as we were about to cross the wires he pulled the power on both engines.

I quickly shoved the throttles back up and asked him what in f.ck he was doing and he just looked off into the distance like he was on another planet.

I called the bird dog and told him I had a problem and was returning to base.

When we landed I told the bird dog officer and the pilot what had happened and they said to get back in the airplane and get back on the fire.

I refused and was told I would never fly again.

The company and the fire centre got involved and I was told to either fly or I was finished.

So I called a lawyer and we called Ottawa and talked to the Minister of Transport and advised him I was calling the RCMP and demanding the F.O. be taken to a hospital and tested for drugs in his system.

Well to make a long story short I not only was not fired, they quietly sent the F.O. back home and sent me a new F.O.

The moral to my story is rule of law trumps internal politics every time.
Maybe he waa checking to see if you were awake?

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:41 pm
cncpc wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:36 pm

http://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/marin-dec-10

Your safe space is calling you. Sorry for the loss of a hero. :D

Look others besides yourself have views on this subject. Sorry that offends you. I suggest don't read if it bothers you that much. :roll:

There's a well known saying -- "you're entitled to your own opinions -- not your own facts".
You forgot "A stitch in time saves nine" or "Eat all your peas, or you'll get no dessert.". But I guess when you're just pulling things out of your ass, things get overlooked.

But those are tried and true favorites when you are trying to make peoples eyes glaze over with bullshit.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

You really think that is a possibility?

Or are you not capable of logical thought?

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Cat Driver wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:35 pm
You really think that is a possibility?

Or are you not capable of logical thought?
Perhaps the product has long standing influence on brain function after all. :mrgreen:

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

BAck to arguing issues, rather than personal animosities, please, guys...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Good advice but what's the use. Seems to me that you have two camps that will NEVER come to looking at basic facts. Looks like the crusades attitude is alive and well.

I don't have a preference either way...as long as the other guy does not show up drunk or stoned for work...

Last edited by confusedalot on Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Seems like a lot of people on here assume by making marijuana legal pilots will all of a sudden start showing up for work stoned. It’s easy to get now, I would guess that no more go to work stoned than do drunk ( ie: it’s very rare). It’s no different than drinking. The vast majority are just not going to do it before work

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

I am a supporter of marijuana for medical purposes. There is enough evidence it helps some with serious conditions.

Furthermore I support safety over individual "rights" -- period.

Accept any position with a high level of public trust and safety component, be prepared give up some freedoms for that privilege, like drug testing, that drug being legal or not. Many examples exist, besides aviation.

My concern is pot being legal for any reason, will water down critical protections essential for public safety. Because that is the way society is moving, from we to "it's all about my rights".

Perhaps it all works out. I hope people in govt and industry are thinking it through. We had a nasty accident here on the 400. Momentary Inattention by a trucker. Multiple people died, burned alive likely. Now let's throw legal pot in there. Cool.

Sadly the growing course of leftist fanatics everywhere don't discuss the logic, they always attack others on any stance that goes against the "My Rights!" Hysteria, regardless of the issue being discussed, and attempt to shut down debate.

Impossible to have a rational conversation.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

he he he he.....

Like I said, two ideological camps, just like the crusades. By that point of view, alcohol should also be banned (for the public interest of course). Hey, it's been tried with disastrous effect.

Better to have an airplane driver who does not kick back and relax for awhile with a scotch with his friends, or, a machine that religiously follows the no drinking or burn in hell rule, that has zero contact with the real world and no social life?

I know which psychological profile I would choose. As long as he is not high on the job of course..

Once again, two diametrically opposed ultra conservative puritanicals and liberal factions are duking it out.

Hey, I don't use marijuana, don't even have any particular desire to try it, but c'mon, a weed that grows in the ground becomes some sort of satan's tool?

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Better to have an airplane driver who does not kick back and relax for awhile with a scotch with his friends, or, a machine that religiously follows the no drinking or burn in hell rule, that has zero contact with the real world and no social life?
Well speaking strictly from my own personal experience having known both worlds, the social drinking world and the world where I do not drink my social life as improved immensely since I quit drinking and I still associate with lots of friends when they are drinking in pubs etc.

Also my contact with the real world is never clouded by being impaired by a drug.

P.S. :::

I do not insinuate that others should not drink for the simple reason I am a believer in free choice.

Just thought I should make the above comment for the record. :)

Last edited by Cat Driver on Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

With alcohol it is well known how long impairment lasts. Can anyone definitively say the same about weed?

----------

If issues involving public safety are preserved, then BTW I don't particularly care one way or the other what people do. I just think it'll be messy in that regard.

Ps ....Yet another reason not to be a landlord. Under the law at least here, a landlord is not allowed to discriminate, nor even have knowledge of, if a tenant is using the rental as a grow op. It's legal, or will be. Property damage? Tough.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Going out on a limb here, but I suspect that if someone is going to damage your rental property, as in perhaps unsanitary conditions with mold creating items, like plants, you would have every right to evict them. If it's a matter of three small pots of marijuana, suspect that would not be possible.

Once again, I don't use the stuff nor do I have any desire to do so, but I am still hung up on exactly how severe the issue actually is. Maybe I am to permissive?

Return to “General Comments”