GGN CRJ Captain

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

tallyho
Rank 3
Rank 3

GGN CRJ Captain

Post by tallyho »

Hello all, anyone care to share what direct RJ captain will make? Lots jet time, no RJ time.
---------- ADS -----------

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: GGN CRJ Captain

Post by Inverted2 »

I would seriously look elsewhere first. If you have lots of jet time there are better options. You would likely make more at Sunwing in the right seat in your first year then left seat there and have a way better schedule.

Let’s Go Brandon
fsantana
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fsantana »

Inverted2 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:01 am I would seriously look elsewhere first. If you have lots of jet time there are better options. You would likely make more at Sunwing in the right seat in your first year then left seat there and have a way better schedule.
What makes you think he/she is not looking some other place?
What if she/he did and is not getting any answer from anybody, but the world keeps on turning?

What if the GGN’s conditions are good for whatever the heck she/he is looking for?

He/she probably already applied to Sunwing but is still waiting for a call?

At the end it all just translate to what the pilot is looking for isn’t?

But to answer the question, a GGN RJ captain does good and can make better with overtime. You can apply if you want and find out yourself.

nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by nightbird »

$72 an hour, minimum guaranteed is 70. Average block is around 85 hours. Overtime is available most of the time if you want it, time and a half kicks in after 90 hours.

tallyho
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tallyho »

Thanks for the info Nightbird. Haven't applied anywhere, I was just curious about the pay.

805ITT
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 805ITT »

Hi,

The posting is intended to recruit Captain's that are flying Dash 8s, ATRs, Dornier328s, SAAB340s or in the corporate world and looking for a set schedule. After 15 months of promoting internally, the average time of the FOs are starting to get a little low to support the projected 2018 attrition levels.

This is an opportunity to go to an Express carrier (if you wish) and hopefully not have to take a pay cut to be an FO at Jazz or Sky. If your end goal is Air Canada, starting in January, AGL is going to be moving 8-10 pilots per month to Air Canada and we need to replace those positions internally and externally.

I understand that AGL has received some bad press recently, but there is always more to the story and unfortunately it is only one sided for now. I will reiterate that we had a finding free Transport Canada PVI in August and are always looking for areas of continuous improvement.

We have a similar opportunity for 1900 Captains as well for 703, 704 drivers meeting the requirements.

If you are interested in the opportunity or have any questions please feel free to PM me.

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

tallyho wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:49 am ... what direct RJ captain will make? ...
At Georgian?

Less than any other captain to have flown that plane before. Fact!

CRJDRVR
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CRJDRVR »

As a GGN DEC, here is the inside scoop

1) GGN has a lot of negative politics on the inside which are not healthy for any outsider coming in with experience but if you never say no to CrewSked and get along well with other team members, it is a very good job where you can make money on OT.

2) MX can vary largely based on who is manning MOC or if there are enough spare tails. A lot of the line technicians are awesome. They do the best with what they have to work with. However there are times things fall apart and this is where your use your 4 bars. MX over the past year is slowly getting better but get used to the sight of speed tape and weird things like a CDL for a missing static whick which is actually a piece of winglet broken off. The planes MEL list has been a priority the past few months the and 4-6 items used to be common, now it's usually nil to 1-2.

3) It's a fast pace, we do 30 minute turns. OTP is very important. We also have customs walks, I have noticed are getting less frequent but be prepared to walk, wear out shoes and crew bags.

4) Your social media is heavily monitored, and is used against you. Also, there are people who bait you into saying negative comments which then get reported to management, so try and be positive, which can be very hard just due to the fast pace and stress. Overall though, the people are awesome and work hard.

5) The pay and benefits are below standard. That said if you like OT you can crack $100K. The ALPA contract could hopefully fix this.

6) Be prepared for months of Reserve and Stand-Ups. There are some CA's stuck in a senority loop where they cannot move up. One is currently doing an entire month of Stand-Ups with no end in sight.

7). The Union has no CA seniority. So when an FO hired before you is ready to upgrade, you will be pushed down. This is unlikely to change.

8) Hotels vary in quality. Some recent changes have been for the better. The layovers are short unless you have a 72 hour reset. Most crews have enough time to eat, have one beer and go to bed when they get to the layover.

9) The flying is good. You will be challenged and it's fun.

10) Air Canada and the PML. Myself and all of the other candidates on the PML got an email on March 1st, 2017 stating we will get a video interview. Candidates have been taken out of sequence and a lot of us have yet to see an interview. Your chances are better with West Jet to get on with Air Canada. Yes, internal memo's say 100 -130 of us will go to AC, but if that number is true, there are no video interviews in our inboxes to support that claim. Our attrition to Air Canada has only been a handful in 2017. So maybe our efforts will be valued by Air Canada in 2018?

11) If you want some good 705 Jet PIC, come aboard. At present the company has a lot of internal growth needed to become what it can be, I have faith it eventually will. Praying for CR900's...

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Boreas wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:23 pm
tallyho wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:49 am ... what direct RJ captain will make? ...
At Georgian?

Less than any other captain to have flown that plane before. Fact!
And those captains got paid less than the mainline guys who once flew those aircraft/routes. Its the sad part of aviation. Labour one of the only controllable costs. :toimonster:

tallyho
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tallyho »

To be honest, I don't know of any Dash, ATR or corporate guys that wouldn't be taking a pay cut to go left seat at GGN. Around $73k to captain a commuter jet by my reckoning. A first year WestJet/Air Canada FO will damn near make that. Think I'll pass.

avpride
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by avpride »

tallyho wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:42 am To be honest, I don't know of any Dash, ATR or corporate guys that wouldn't be taking a pay cut to go left seat at GGN. Around $73k to captain a commuter jet by my reckoning. A first year WestJet/Air Canada FO will damn near make that. Think I'll pass.

With normal flying, you will make about 90K if you want to work a bit harder, take some draft etc you will be in low low 100's excluding perdiem.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

$72 an hour to Capt an RJ.

Wow that is crap..

gtanorth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtanorth »

CRJDRVR wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:15 am As a GGN DEC, here is the inside scoop

1) GGN has a lot of negative politics on the inside which are not healthy for any outsider coming in with experience but if you never say no to CrewSked and get along well with other team members, it is a very good job where you can make money on OT.

2) MX can vary largely based on who is manning MOC or if there are enough spare tails. A lot of the line technicians are awesome. They do the best with what they have to work with. However there are times things fall apart and this is where your use your 4 bars. MX over the past year is slowly getting better but get used to the sight of speed tape and weird things like a CDL for a missing static whick which is actually a piece of winglet broken off. The planes MEL list has been a priority the past few months the and 4-6 items used to be common, now it's usually nil to 1-2.

3) It's a fast pace, we do 30 minute turns. OTP is very important. We also have customs walks, I have noticed are getting less frequent but be prepared to walk, wear out shoes and crew bags.

4) Your social media is heavily monitored, and is used against you. Also, there are people who bait you into saying negative comments which then get reported to management, so try and be positive, which can be very hard just due to the fast pace and stress. Overall though, the people are awesome and work hard.

5) The pay and benefits are below standard. That said if you like OT you can crack $100K. The ALPA contract could hopefully fix this.

6) Be prepared for months of Reserve and Stand-Ups. There are some CA's stuck in a senority loop where they cannot move up. One is currently doing an entire month of Stand-Ups with no end in sight.

7). The Union has no CA seniority. So when an FO hired before you is ready to upgrade, you will be pushed down. This is unlikely to change.

8) Hotels vary in quality. Some recent changes have been for the better. The layovers are short unless you have a 72 hour reset. Most crews have enough time to eat, have one beer and go to bed when they get to the layover.

9) The flying is good. You will be challenged and it's fun.

10) Air Canada and the PML. Myself and all of the other candidates on the PML got an email on March 1st, 2017 stating we will get a video interview. Candidates have been taken out of sequence and a lot of us have yet to see an interview. Your chances are better with West Jet to get on with Air Canada. Yes, internal memo's say 100 -130 of us will go to AC, but if that number is true, there are no video interviews in our inboxes to support that claim. Our attrition to Air Canada has only been a handful in 2017. So maybe our efforts will be valued by Air Canada in 2018?

11) If you want some good 705 Jet PIC, come aboard. At present the company has a lot of internal growth needed to become what it can be, I have faith it eventually will. Praying for CR900's...

That's a very fair post for sure. Couple points. I don't think they actually monitor social media I suspect they respond to concerns as they are raised, could be wrong but I would be surprised. Regarding the chances at WJ people need to keep in mind that is a flash in the pan as AC introduces the 737 and their desire to hire experienced drivers. I am not sure if they have or not but they should be explaining that the flow in 2017 was slow as AC needed to get through the jazz list but the plan for 2018 is due to a big change they made in their agreement with Air Canada which is really using Georgian as a training ground. AC likes the low cost of training pilots on the Beech

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

avpride wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:40 am
tallyho wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:42 am To be honest, I don't know of any Dash, ATR or corporate guys that wouldn't be taking a pay cut to go left seat at GGN. Around $73k to captain a commuter jet by my reckoning. A first year WestJet/Air Canada FO will damn near make that. Think I'll pass.

With normal flying, you will make about 90K if you want to work a bit harder, take some draft etc you will be in low low 100's excluding perdiem.
Some of the overtime junkies at Jazz are making over 200k not counting perdiems.

Let’s Go Brandon
CRJDRVR
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CRJDRVR »

The feeling on the line is Air Canada doesn't want "experienced" people. There have been guys at the top of the PML list who could upgrade quickly being bypassed in favor of lower time FO's.

If Air Canada truly has intentions of giving them a shot or us lower on the PML it could be communicated, many of us have our foot out the door to places like Sunwing, Encore, Cargo Jet, or Porter because of the "carrot" being rotten.

We have a lot of jet PIC, but it's the turbo prop or RJ FO who gets the call so the "experienced" quote is striking a raw nerve.

The comments about social media are true, more so for the FA's, yes some have deserved the punishmnet.

This is a good job considering the dismal state of Canadian Aviation on a whole, and as stated, if you like to work, this is the place to be

gtanorth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtanorth »

Inverted2 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:28 am
avpride wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:40 am

Some of the overtime junkies at Jazz are making over 200k not counting perdiems.

If you went full junkie mode at AGL you would be about 150. The big win at AGL is when you become a checker or indoc guy. The one plus at AGL is you do have a chance to make really decent money. Im sure all operators do this but no stagnation at AGL in those positions so lots of movement. Bottom line is if you are money driven you could probably do better but if you dont mind working a bit more even without going junkie mode its pretty good certainly OK. Jazz is always going to be paid more for less - agree

CRJDRVR
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CRJDRVR »

Only problem for some bottom CA's are stand-ups are paid at 2 credits per flight day for three days

It's impossible to break min credit :smt008

Increases for Line Indoc CA are about $8 per hour, which is paid regardless if flown as a lower rank

No increase for Line Check CA, just fame

Best month was close to $15,000 as with life as a Zombie with 130 ish credits before 1.5X

If you embrace the OT, $10500 - $11500 could be possible but $150,000 is smoking something for sure...

Bottom line is the people are great, it's a good learning experience

If you can survive here you will do awesome anywhere!

Despite Air Canada not wanting you...

Dark Helmet
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Dark Helmet »

nightbird wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:17 am $72 an hour, minimum guaranteed is 70. Average block is around 85 hours. Overtime is available most of the time if you want it, time and a half kicks in after 90 hours.
Wow!!!! :shock: :roll: I made more than that flying right seat on the RJ at Jazz. Where the RJ job was 1000% better in ALL aspects.

Shamefull :vom:

gtanorth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtanorth »

CRJDRVR wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:36 am Only problem for some bottom CA's are stand-ups are paid at 2 credits per flight day for three days

It's impossible to break min credit :smt008

Increases for Line Indoc CA are about $8 per hour, which is paid regardless if flown as a lower rank

No increase for Line Check CA, just fame

Best month was close to $15,000 as with life as a Zombie with 130 ish credits before 1.5X

If you embrace the OT, $10500 - $11500 could be possible but $150,000 is smoking something for sure...

Bottom line is the people are great, it's a good learning experience

If you can survive here you will do awesome anywhere!

Despite Air Canada not wanting you...

Good point on seniority playing a big part on how hard you need to work for additional credits. Ask your CP for the top 5 highest paid numbers for last year, would be interesting to see where they were on seniority.

gtanorth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtanorth »

Dark Helmet wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 pm
nightbird wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:17 am $72 an hour, minimum guaranteed is 70. Average block is around 85 hours. Overtime is available most of the time if you want it, time and a half kicks in after 90 hours.
Wow!!!! :shock: :roll: I made more than that flying right seat on the RJ at Jazz. Where the RJ job was 1000% better in ALL aspects.

Shamefull :vom:
That would make you an 11 year FO..... not sure that's a good argument

Return to “Employment Forum”