Westwind

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

sunk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Westwind

Post by sunk »

Any word on the atr crash in fon du lac. Crashed on take off I heard due to freezing rain.
---------- ADS -----------

yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Westwind

Post by yhz41 »

Apparently multiple injuries but no fatalities reported

Dizzy D
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dizzy D »

Chuck Finley
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chuck Finley »

Any word on the atr crash in fon du lac. Crashed on take off I heard due to freezing rain.
Too early to jump to conclusions. Let's wait for the investigation and report. Maybe it'll be classified as a hard landing and not a crash.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

I don't see anything about FZRA in the CYSF METAR. As far back as 0100z, it was -9C.
Glad to hear there were no fatalities.
Let's not jump to any conclusions just yet.

arctic_slim
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by arctic_slim »

sunk wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:02 pm Any word on the atr crash in fon du lac. Crashed on take off I heard due to freezing rain.
Wondering where you heard this from. Nothing is mentioned in the article. Do you have some insider source?

AntiNakedMan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AntiNakedMan »

. Finley wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:24 pm
Too early to jump to conclusions. Let's wait for the investigation and report. Maybe it'll be classified as a hard landing and not a crash.
I doubt they landed hard a kilometer from the airport...

The GFA has been showing FZRA all day across northern Sask

"It's not the size of the hammer, it's how you nail" - Kanga
sunk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sunk »

Yes, inside info with people on the ground in fond do lac

golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by golden hawk »

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

I was obviously only looking at the METAR. But the point that I am making is that there could be any number of causes and let's not make any assumptions about one factor or another just yet.

77W
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 77W »

UACN01 CYWG 140143
WG
UUA /OV CYSF /TM 0139 /FLDURD /TP BE20 /IC MDT RIME SFC-015AGL /RM
PILOT ADZ -FZDZ WITHIN 10NM CYSF AT 2225Z WHILE AWOS RPTG -SN

Ypilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ypilot »

Picture of the crash here: http://www.mbcradio.com/index.php/mbc-n ... ond-du-lac

Tough aircraft.

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

Does the Fond du Lac airport have any deicing capability on the ground?

sunk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sunk »

Question should be does westwind have an adequate de ice unit along with the required lift to get to the height of the tail to de ice and inspect. It's pretty high up there and a regular ladder won't work.

Turbolag
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Turbolag »

Please keep speculation to yourself. No one, not the ground crew, or other “inside sources”, knows the factors that caused this crash. To speculate on one idea that may have lead to an accident simply spreads rumours not based on facts. The TSB will provide a cause(s) in time.

The facts are that the airplane crashed and all souls survived. This is extremely good news given the possibility of post crash fires for such events.

From what I understand, support from both the Fond du Lac and Stony Rapids communities helped minimize casualties with their emergency services. The addition of the CF Hercules and it’s crew undoubtedly helped as well.

Those of us that know people involved in this event are feeling a great sigh of releaf that nothing worse happened.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Turbolag wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:50 am Please keep speculation to yourself. No one, not the ground crew, or other “inside sources”, knows the factors that caused this crash. To speculate on one idea that may have lead to an accident simply spreads rumours not based on facts. The TSB will provide a cause(s) in time.

The facts are that the airplane crashed and all souls survived. This is extremely good news given the possibility of post crash fires for such events.

From what I understand, support from both the Fond du Lac and Stony Rapids communities helped minimize casualties with their emergency services. The addition of the CF Hercules and it’s crew undoubtedly helped as well.

Those of us that know people involved in this event are feeling a great sigh of releaf that nothing worse happened.
If you don’t want to see any speculation or people guessing what happened then you should stay off of aviation forums. Maybe go to the TSB wedsite and in 2 years you’ll see the report

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

The lack of deicing facility for 705 aircracft in the North is Canada's dirty little secret.

Axial Flow
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Axial Flow »

Even with "de-icing" equipment in the far north for some 705 operators, having the pilots responsible for actually getting out and doing it would be a hazard I am surprised Transport allows...by surprised...I mean SMS will be sure to take care of it and keep everyone safe.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

If it was something other than crashing due to contaminated wings the company or the pilots will quickly let everyone know.

For sure they will not wait two years for the TSB B.S. to be released

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

I'm sure in 4 years we'll get to read the prelim report...

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”