SPOT Gen 3 50% rebate Dec 2017

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

SPOT Gen 3 50% rebate Dec 2017

Post by Beefitarian »

Just got the bass pro shops flyer thought I'd pass on the info. I think it's a spot thing not Bass Pro but...

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/spot-gen ... pot-3#tab1
---------- ADS -----------

hangar3
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: SPOT Gen 3 50% rebate Dec 2017

Post by hangar3 »

Hey!

It doesn't seem to be 50% off? Am I missing something? Would be cool if it was! :?

https://www.amazon.ca/Spot-Satellite-Gp ... spot+gen+3

hangar3
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hangar3 »

https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=130

Nevermind, I found it. You need to buy the $200/Yr subscription to Spot to get the device 50% off.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

True. It is a mail in rebate and you need a subscription for them to a actually track the unit.

Wait a year and save two hundred bucks in subscription fees instead of eighty on the mail in rebate. Then it will be like you got one free?

I was just sharing this in case someone was going to buy one soon. Maybe they would like to do it now to get the rebate.

If you are like me you can save even more money by never buying one. I have saved thousands of dollars since they came out by not having one. I have saved millions of dollars not buying airplanes, Lamborghinis and real estate.

I also saved a lot by only flying once a year 2014 - 2016.

My wife must have spent all that extra money. :(

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

Just went through this when my Gen 1 quit,Spot help desk gave me a couple of options;I chose to buy mine at the local London Drugs & mailed everything in for the rebate & got a new subscriptions only reply from rebate central so I sent a request to Spot corporate & they were kind enough to credit my account with the rebate amount.

Daryl

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Not to knock the spot product, but anyone flying in Northern Canada or the mountains may want to consider the Garmin version of the SPOT as they use the Iridium network which has significantly better global coverage. Specifically, at northern latitudes and within mountain valleys.

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

Guess I’ve been lucky,my Gen 1 worked in all of BC & as far east that I travelled which was PEI.The new Gen 3 has only been used in the car from the bc coast to Winnipeg without issue,never missed a crumb.

Daryl

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Cessna 180 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:05 pm Not to knock the spot product, but anyone flying in Northern Canada or the mountains may want to consider the Garmin version of the SPOT as they use the Iridium network which has significantly better global coverage. Specifically, at northern latitudes and within mountain valleys.
Not only that, but being able to text, and get weather when your isolated, is amazing. not to mention online tracking is nicer (shows speed, alt, direction)

I guess I should write something here.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Maynard wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:35 amNot only that, but being able to text, and get weather when your isolated, is amazing. not to mention online tracking is nicer (shows speed, alt, direction)
One generation of SPOT can text, and the online tracker shows position and direction can be inferred. For the rest, well, you get what you pay for. InReach isn't cheap like SPOT.

hangar3
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hangar3 »

Beefitarian wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:14 am If you are like me you can save even more money by never buying one. I have saved thousands of dollars since they came out by not having one. I have saved millions of dollars not buying airplanes, Lamborghinis and real estate.
I hear you brother, it ain't easy when you're broke! :roll:

Btw, which Garmin product are you guys talking about?

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I am only a fan of SPOT because it's a great addition to helping show where you are. If heaven forbid I crash but I am still alive I want to increase the chance of someone finding me. The sooner the better.

The negatives are they are not free as discussed, they do not come with a free pizza and they are made for hiking not flying.

I still believe it is another thing one should consider having when flying, especially if you are going to be in a remote area during the flight.

Merry Christmas everyone!

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

hangar3 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:48 am
Btw, which Garmin product are you guys talking about?
Garmin inReach https://explore.garmin.com/en-CA/inreach/

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Beefitarian wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:19 amThe negatives are they are ... made for hiking not flying.
Not really a fair assessment. They were made for anyone partaking in an activity beyond the reach of cell coverage... Flying was one of the first uses.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Well, like life, I'm not fair.

Why do they use a hiking boot for a symbol? Why do they alert private Search and Rescue organizations instead of RCC?

Then again Ramona Cox* is an ambassador.
https://www.findmespot.com/brandambassadors/

* If that is Sky Chick's real name.

Return to “General Comments”