Lightspeed Zulu 2 problems

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

theheckyamean?85
Rank 0
Rank 0

Lightspeed Zulu 2 problems

Post by theheckyamean?85 »

I must be having really bad luck, because so many people seem to like the Lightspeed Zulu 2 headset.

But after not even a year of having this headset, my mic suddenly snapped off the earpiece, and I had to send it out to Oregon to get it replaced. Now, it outputs screeching feedback when I try to call ATC, and ATC can hear the feedback as well. But the next day in the same airplane, there's no feedback at all. I've heard from one flight instructor that some students have had to send it out to get it re-tuned. Just wondering if there's anyone else experiencing the same issues with the Zulu 2 as I have been having.

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Lightspeed Zulu 2 problems

Post by Rowdy »

Going on 6 years with my original zulus. They went back once for a cable repair. Which was my own doing and yet they still didn’t charge me. Sounds like something happened...

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Both my Lightspeeds went in for repair within a year of purchase.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

My Zulu ones had like 3,000hrs on them, sent them on once after I got a cut in the cord housing after slamming it in the door. Later they got ran over, long story, light speed still took all the pieces and gave me a trade in credit for my Zulu 2s, zero issue with them over the last 3ish years using them everywhere from floats to the flight levels.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Never had a problem is over 5 years on Zulu 2’s. I think the key is you need to take care of it and put it back into the case carefully everytime. Zulu’s are built like the old DC’s where you wrap the cord around and toss them into a flight bag, I can see that causing issues.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

the Zulu 3 has a kevlar cable that is damned near indestructible. They will upgrade a 2 to a 3 for a small fee.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I have had 2 issues in 5 years of owning the same headset. First issue was just wear and tear. Second issue was a weird electronic buzzing noise when the headset was 4 years old. Lightspeed fixed both issues and all I had to do was pay shipping to the repair facility. The 2nd time, I politely asked if they could rush it, and they obliged. That was about a year ago now and it's still going strong. Very good customer service.

They're not quite as bullet proof as the old passive David Clark's, but there's also a lot more electronic stuff going on with the active noise cancelling system. My next headset will be a Zulu.3 (or Zulu.4 depending on how long it lasts)

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Electronic squealing was my problem in both, and the mic boom went floppy on 1. The kicker was Lightspeed wanted an extra $75 (per headset) for a software update while they were sitting on the bench. They updated the software about a month after these were purchased. Seriously guys? Lightspeed lost my support completely, I will never purchase another one. Also noted the warranty line at Oshkosh was very long compared to Bose :)

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright

Return to “General Comments”