Direct entry Capt

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Direct entry Capt

Post by flyinhigh »

Could it be, I noticed that we no longer have the post up.

With our mothership halting all GS till at least Q2, I believe we may have saw the last of our DEC's through the door.
---------- ADS -----------

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Direct entry Capt

Post by CZBBYYZPilot »

Hi,
So we shouldn't expect the DEC posting to open up anytime soon then?

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

I would still apply. Lots of FO's have trouble hitting the matrix and there's an ever present shortage of Captains.

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CZBBYYZPilot »

You mean apply as an FO? I wouldn't want to start without knowing I was going into the left seat (assuming adequate performance in training).

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

If you meet the matrix than your upgrade will be very quick. As short as six months I know of for one person.

Dizzy D
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dizzy D »

I was hired as an FO last year, and I met the matrix when I was hired. I got the email that I was upgrading before I did my initial ride. After it was all said and done, it was about 5 months from initial hire as a FO till I was cut loose as a Captain.

avbird
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by avbird »

There are probably enough first officers now that are meeting the matrix, that the quick upgrade for new hires is probably going to slow down. Plus no flow for 6 months hasn't helped things.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

What ever happened to the 100% flow ?

Gravity always wins
Go Guns
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Go Guns »

Can’t have any flow if there are no 737 groundschools to flow to.

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

Kosiw wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:26 pm What ever happened to the 100% flow ?
Good question. The announcement of WestJet Link revealed to Encore pilots that 100% flow is just another false promise. Sure Pasco pilots may not directly "flow" to WestJet, but they will be offered preferential interviews. And for every Pasco pilot or OTS hired to mainline, there's an Encore pilot slugging it out waiting their turn. "Oh but the Encore guys will go captain first" people say.. cold comfort when you're working 18 days a month to their 12-16. 10% ESP to their 20%. Vacation? They get more too. OH and lets not forget, despite all your years of service at Encore, you'll still be expected to take another pay cut if/when you actually do flow over. Meanwhile OTS hires are making more than Encore captains within a couple years. The only thing going for Encore was the idea that eventually the company would honor their 100% flow through intention. That is no longer the case! Indeed, the quickest way to WestJet now might be through Pasco! :lol:

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

Sounds like WS took a page from AC with the magic carrot dangle trick. Oh how many have fallen for that one. So to get this straight. To get to WS, you should go to Pasco. To get to AC you should go to Encore. To get to Sunwing or Transat, go to an AC express. Sound about right?

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

I don't think AC dangled any carrot. That was Express partners doing that in order to increase recruitment without increasing pay.
Man this sucks about Westjet going this direction. It's especially hurtful since their staff took working their so personally and really bought into the corporate culture that was being promoted by management. They really felt part of a family . Being betrayed is especially cruel. This is going to get nasty.

lyrad6
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lyrad6 »

It remains to be seen that being employed at Pasco provides any meaningful "flow" to WestJet. Certainly having the relationship established will be beneficial, but don't be so quick to make such big assumptions.

It always makes me shake my head when I hear about guys choosing to work somewhere because "this will lead to this which will lead to that..."
Have we not learned from decades of airline behaviour how that works out? Apply somewhere that you'll be happy and not "slugging it out" waiting for the next thing. Work hard and keep learning. Things will work out. 8)

Return to “WestJet Encore”