Air Bravo Again

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Air Bravo Again

Post by Lost Lake »

Wow. The most posted job ad on AvCanada. I'm guessing they make more on their $10000 bonds than they do flying. When will they learn to pay and treat people like human beings. Geesh. But to show you how f#%ked up the industry is, pilots will be climbing over each others backs to be a co-pilot on a single pilot PC-12. Glad my flying career is almost over

P/S. Never worked for them. Just know a little more than the average guy.
---------- ADS -----------

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
Spirit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Air Bravo Again

Post by Spirit »

They also have $10,000 upfront bond??? Is every operator in CYQT doing the same thing?

Sucks

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Spirit wrote:They also have $10,000 upfront bond??? Is every operator in CYQT doing the same thing?
No, not all of them. But for those who do, what alternative do you suggest?

Spirit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Spirit »

Promissory Note with no money exchange?

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Spirit wrote:Promissory Note with no money exchange?
Last I checked, Thunder did it that way.

Spirit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Spirit »

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know about Ornge bonds?

172_Captain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172_Captain »

Spirit wrote:Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know about Ornge bonds?
Promissory note at Thunder prorated over 18 months starting 6 months after employment.

No bonds at Ornge. But it's quite a bit harder to get in there, and you'll be in the right seat for 2+ years before going left. That's just what I've heard anyway from a few Ornge guys.

Spirit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Spirit »

Great, thank you for the info!

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

It's been a long time since I've seen this many job ads for pilots. If you sign ANYTHING you're a fool. Unless it's where YOU WANT TO STAY while all your buddies are getting jet jobs. Or at least Q400 gigs. Give your heads a shake.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
Spirit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Spirit »

New posting today for FO. What's the story, can't hold on to pilots?

172_Captain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172_Captain »

Spirit wrote:New posting today for FO. What's the story, can't hold on to pilots?
No one is holding on to pilots these days. It's not operator specific.
Spirit wrote:They also have $10,000 upfront bond??? Is every operator in CYQT doing the same thing?

Sucks
The best thing about it is they are giving the new guys PCC's. Their first flight up is their flight test. Yet they still have people paying 10G's for a 1 hour flight in a PC-12.

Spirit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Spirit »

172_Captain wrote:
Spirit wrote:New posting today for FO. What's the story, can't hold on to pilots?
No one is holding on to pilots these days. It's not operator specific.

Sucks
The best thing about it is they are giving the new guys PCC's. Their first flight up is their flight test. Yet they still have people paying 10G's for a 1 hour flight in a PC-12.
10G's for an hour of PC-12 time! I can think of better ways to spend that much money that fast... :wink:

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I predict there will be no shortage of people applying or willing to pay.

a special kind of stupid.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

Spirit wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:41 pm New posting today for FO. What's the story, can't hold on to pilots?
What is is the pilot schedule like and is it two pilot crew?
Thanks

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

trey kule wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:23 pm I predict there will be no shortage of people applying or willing to pay.
7507 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:31 pm What is is the pilot schedule like and is it two pilot crew?
Nailed it.

shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by shamrock104 »

Be very careful and wary of bonds and read the fine print, if unclear question the company or take it to a lawyer.
I am aware of a guy who just failed his PPC out here in Calgary after just 5 hours training in a machine that he had zero experience on and now he is on the hook for a substantial bond.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

shamrock104 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:01 am Be very careful and wary of bonds and read the fine print, if unclear question the company or take it to a lawyer.
I am aware of a guy who just failed his PPC out here in Calgary after just 5 hours training in a machine that he had zero experience on and now he is on the hook for a substantial bond.
Exactly. If an employer insists on a bond, insist on a bond within an employment contract. What happens if you get laid off? Where is the bond money held? What are the conditions for termination? Where are you based? What is your wage?

Imagine you sign a bond and a couple of months later the company want to move you to another base. If you say no and are laid off are you still out the bond money?

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

Far more operators are burned by bond jumping pilots, then pilots burned by operators. The reason bonds exist is because whiny, homesick, mama's boy pilots can't handle work and leave after a month. There are more of these types every year. Its the same reason that godforbid, northern operators ask that one of these Toronto basement dwellers prove he can handle life in Fond du Lac, Norman Wells, or Pickle Lake before spending time, money or effort on him. The Bond Argument is old and lame. Pay it or don't pay it. Work or don't work. But it is certainly the companies right to require it. Don't blame the company. Blame the losers who came before you.

Axial Flow
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Axial Flow »

phillyfan wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:23 am Far more operators are burned by bond jumping pilots, then pilots burned by operators. The reason bonds exist is because whiny, homesick, mama's boy pilots can't handle work and leave after a month. There are more of these types every year. Its the same reason that godforbid, northern operators ask that one of these Toronto basement dwellers prove he can handle life in Fond du Lac, Norman Wells, or Pickle Lake before spending time, money or effort on him. The Bond Argument is old and lame. Pay it or don't pay it. Work or don't work. But it is certainly the companies right to require it. Don't blame the company. Blame the losers who came before you.
It's posts like these, that make me so fortunate to be part of such a tight nit group and why I tell my kids to be lawyers...

bobm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bobm »

Well; back in about 1987 I was the CP of a newer smaller outfit that was operating a new ME turbine. I had been flying it myself in a two crew environment. We were very busy and decided to hire another Captain. I ended up hiring an individual who was you young but had the qualifications necessary to take on the position. He had been Captain for a while working for a Government sanctioned airline. (NorOntair) I sent him off to FSI for the Initial course in HOU on our aircraft type.
That included flying him to HOU, room, transport and the 5 day course. Cost was about $10,000.00 at that time.
On the Monday morning after his return, he walked into my office with his books and notes from the course and said “thanks, but while I was training I have accepted another job. He left his FSI training books and walked out, never having actually gotten into our aircraft….

So you ask, where do Bonds come from?

Return to “Employment Forum”