Canadian Currency Requirements

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Canadian Currency Requirements

Post by CAL »

Hey guys just wondering if a canadian ppl holder has any annual or bi-annual currency requirements similar to the FAA Bi-Annual Review?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

Recency Requirements

401.05(1) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Subpart, no holder of a flight crew permit, licence or rating, other than the holder of a flight engineer licence, shall exercise the privileges of the permit, licence or rating unless

(a) the holder has acted as pilot-in-command or co-pilot of an aircraft within the five years preceding the flight; or

(b) within the 12 months preceding the flight

(i) the holder has completed a flight review, in accordance with the personnel licensing standards, conducted by the holder of a flight instructor rating for the same category of aircraft,

(ii) the flight instructor who conducted the flight review has certified in the holder's personal log that the holder meets the skill requirements for the issuance of the permit or licence set out in the personnel licensing standards, and

(iii) the holder has successfully completed the appropriate examination specified in the personnel licensing standards.

(2) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Subpart, no holder of a flight crew permit or licence, other than the holder of a flight engineer licence, shall exercise the privileges of the permit or licence in an aircraft unless the holder

(a) has successfully completed a recurrent training program in accordance with the personnel licensing standards within the 24 months preceding the flight; and

(b) where a passenger other than a flight test examiner designated by the Minister is carried on board the aircraft, has completed, within the six months preceding the flight,

(i) in the case of an aircraft other than a glider or a balloon, in the same category and class of aircraft as the aircraft, or in a Level B, C or D simulator of the same category and class as the aircraft, at least

(A) five night or day take-offs and five night or day landings, if the flight is conducted wholly by day, or

(B) five night take-offs and five night landings, if the flight is conducted wholly or partly by night,
and

421.05 Recency Requirements

(1) In order to comply with the requirements of 401.05(1)(b)

(a) the flight review shall include all items normally covered during the flight test for the issue of that permit or licence,

(b) the flight instructor completing the flight review shall certify in the holder’s personal log that the skill requirement has been met, and

(c) the holder shall successfully complete the written examination Student Pilot Permit or Private Pilot Licence for Foreign and Military Applicants, Air Regulations (PSTAR)

(d) The certification in (b) above shall read:

"This is to certify that the skill requirement for __________ (permit or licence) has been met" and shall include the date and the name, signature and licence number of the instructor.

(2) In order to comply with the requirements of 401.05(2)(a), any of the following are considered acceptable as recurrent training programs:

(a) completion of a flight review conducted by the holder of a flight instructor rating in the same category, shall include all items normally covered during the flight test for the issue of that permit or licence;

(b) attendance at a safety seminar conducted by Transport Canada Aviation;

(c) successful completion of a recurrent training program designed to update pilot knowledge, which could include subject areas such as human factors, meteorology, flight planning and navigation, and aviation regulations, rules and procedures that has been approved by the Minister as being satisfactory for those purposes;
(amended 2005/12/01; previous version)

(d) completion of the self-paced study program produced annually in the Transport Canada Aviation Safety Newsletter, which is designed to update pilot knowledge in the subjects specified in (c) above. The completed copy shall be the most current published by date and shall be retained by the licence holder;

(e) completion of a training program or Pilot Proficiency Check as required by Parts IV, VI or VII of the Canadian Aviation Regulations;

(f) completion of the skill requirements for issue or renewal of a pilot permit, licence or rating, including night rating, VFR over-the-top rating, instrument rating, multi-engine class rating, flight instructor rating, landplane or seaplane rating; or
(amended 2000/09/01; previous version)

(g) completion of the written examination(s) for a permit, licence or rating.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

BTD, you gotta throw in some fart or pee pee comments into your posts to liven them up, man.

-istp :lol:

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

can someone simplify that tc jargon?

frac
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by frac »

CAL wrote:can someone simplify that tc jargon?
In order to keep PIC privileges you must:

- act as PIC at least once every 5 years
- Complete a reccurent training program once every 24 months
- Comply with other rules and regulations (IFR currency, medical etc..)

If you have not acted as PIC for 5 years, you can regain PIC privileges if you completed a succesfull flight review within the last 12 months and completed the PSTAR

You can comply withe the reccurent training program requirement by many means (Safety Seminar, Flight Review, Self Study, Written for a license or rating, Flight test for a Rating or license etc...).

Regards, Frac

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

You also must complete 5 T/Os and Landings within the previous 6 months. Day or Night as appropriate to carry passengers.

ISTP, you hurt my feelings. :( :cry:

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

thanks guys much appreciated....

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Also, PLEASE keep current chart(s), i.e VNC, VTA, WAC ... as required, currents VFR supplement(s) i.e. CFS, as well as keeping up on current CARs change(s).

It's been all too often I get the "weekend warrior" who's been "flying before i've been born" cutting me off in the circuit and transmitting on the wrong frequency :evil: :smt075

For example: Folks are still calling Collingwood on 22.8 when it's been changed for almost a year now to 22.85 to avoid confusion with other aiports with the same runways. End Rant

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Canadian Currency Requirements

Post by pelmet »

What if your recurrent training is in a foreign country such as some sort of check in the US like a BFR, etc or European check?

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Canadian Currency Requirements

Post by BGH »

If you meet the recurrence requirements it shouldn’t matter if they were done on the moon,just provide the paperwork to back it up.

Daryl

dpm
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re:

Post by dpm »

Grey_Wolf wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:25 am Also, PLEASE keep current chart(s), i.e VNC, VTA, WAC ... as required, currents VFR supplement(s) i.e. CFS, as well as keeping up on current CARs change(s).
... there's less excuse than ever for that now. With FltPlan Go or paid alternatives (or your current IFR GPS database, if so equipped), you should always have current info with you; the paper is just there as a backup.

@CYRO
455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re:

Post by 455tt »

Grey_Wolf wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:25 am Also, PLEASE keep current chart(s), i.e VNC, VTA, WAC ... as required, currents VFR supplement(s) i.e. CFS, as well as keeping up on current CARs change(s).
"As required"? What exact CARs mandates that local VFR charts and publications be carried on board the aircraft in respect of a day VFR flight? Yes this is mandated for IFR, VFR OTT and Night VFR flights but not for day VFR flights (see CARs 602.60 (1)(b)).

For example, if you were doing day VFR circuits for the 10th time that month at your local aerodrome are you stating that by law you have to carry current VFR charts and CFS on board the aircraft? If so what is your regulatory authority?

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Re:

Post by lhalliday »

455tt wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:59 am
"As required"? What exact CARs mandates that local VFR charts and publications be carried on board the aircraft in respect of a day VFR flight? Yes this is mandated for IFR, VFR OTT and Night VFR flights but not for day VFR flights (see CARs 602.60 (1)(b)).

For example, if you were doing day VFR circuits for the 10th time that month at your local aerodrome are you stating that by law you have to carry current VFR charts and CFS on board the aircraft? If so what is your regulatory authority?
CAR 602.71, "The pilot-in-command of an aircraft shall, before commencing a flight, be familiar with the available information that is appropriate to the intended flight."

I'm not aware of any requirement to carry charts for a VFR flight, or that they be current. My personal policy is current digital charts/CFS/etc. in ForeFlight, current paper VNC/VTA, and buy a new CFS in the spring and the fall, or whenever there is a significant update at local airports.

...laura

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re:

Post by fleet16b »

It's been all too often I get the "weekend warrior" who's been "flying before i've been born" cutting me off in the circuit and transmitting on the wrong frequency :evil: :smt075

For example: Folks are still calling Collingwood on 22.8 when it's been changed for almost a year now to 22.85 to avoid confusion with other aiports with the same runways. End Rant
Whether they call on the right frequency or not is of little consequence . Collingwood is Unicom/NORDO Airport so you should not be relying on radio transmissions to make you aware of where the aircraft are within the circuit

...isn't he the best pilot you've ever seen?....Yeah he is ....except when I'm shaving.........

Return to “Flight Training”