Ferry flight with EASA license

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

knackebrod
Rank 1
Rank 1

Ferry flight with EASA license

Post by knackebrod »

Say I bought a Canadian registered aircraft. Am I allowed to ferry this Canadian registered aircraft from Canada to Europe with a EASA pilot license?
In other words, can I fly a C-registered aircraft with a EASA license (ferry flight)? Or do I have to hire a Canadian pilot to do so?
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Ferry flight with EASA license

Post by ahramin »

You cannot fly a Canadian Registered aircraft in Canada without a Canadian Licence or a Foreign Licence and a Canadian Foreign Licence Validation.

Validation of Foreign Licences
401.07 (1) Subject to section 6.71 of the Act, if the holder of a foreign flight crew licence issued by a contracting state other than Canada meets the applicable requirements set out in the personnel licensing standards and does not reside in Canada, the Minister shall, on receipt of an application submitted in the form and manner set out in those standards, issue a foreign licence validation certificate to the holder of the licence.

(2) The Minister shall, in accordance with the personnel licensing standards, specify in a foreign licence validation certificate the privileges that may be exercised by the holder of the certificate.
421.07 Validation of Foreign Licences

(1) Issue of Foreign Licence Validation Certificate

(a) A Foreign Licence Validation Certificate shall be issued to an applicant who provides the following:
(i) a foreign licence valid under the laws of a contracting state and valid for the privileges requested; and
(ii) a letter requesting issue of the Foreign Licence Validation Certificate and specifying the purpose for which the foreign licence is to be validated.
(b) The Foreign Licence Validation Certificate shall normally be issued for a period of one year from the date of issue. A shorter period may be granted upon the applicant’s request.
(c) If the medical validity period of the licence issued by a contracting state other than Canada is longer than the ICAO standard, the validation shall be limited to Canadian airspace.

(2) Purposes For Which Foreign Licence Validation Certificates May Be Issued

(a) for the holder to undergo a flight test;
(b) for private recreational flying;
(c) for ferry of an aircraft registered in Canada to or from a foreign country;
(d) for the holder to give type rating training on an aircraft registered in Canada to the registered owner, or to Canadian flight crew employed by the registered owner;
(e) for the holder to receive training in a Canadian registered aircraft;
(f) for operation of aircraft registered in a foreign state under the operating certificate of a Canadian carrier provided that the privileges are limited to the type of aircraft being operated;
(g) for operation of Canadian aircraft on Canadian commercial air services in urgent circumstances; such as fire suppression operations, emergency agricultural and forestry aerial application, airlift in relief of domestic natural disasters, and search and rescue operations;
(h) for commercial air services operated entirely within a foreign country where pilots holding a licence from that country may have their licence validated for operation of Canadian registered aircraft in that country;
(i) for the operation of aircraft registered in Canada on lease to foreign carriers;
(j) for reasons other than those mentioned above where approval may be given if, in the opinion of the Minister, it is in the public interest and not likely to affect aviation safety.

knackebrod
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by knackebrod »

Thanks Ahramin, that is very helpful.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

If you are buying the plane, you should be able to fly it out of Canada. after you change the registration to your home Country. Your EASA license is ICAO compliant right?

You should probably be asking these guys. https://tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opss ... ns-139.htm

For all you know I could just be a smart mouthed dog.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Changing the registration can take a loooong time and involve a lot of inspections and paperwork. Most people who buy a small plane abroad want to fly it home first, and deal with the bureaucracy once the airplane is “home” safely.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “General Comments”