iPad Mini 4 and ForeFlight

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Spinwmts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: iPad Mini 4 and ForeFlight

Post by Spinwmts »

Hi All, I'm new newcomer to AVCanda and just wondering if there are any receivers that provide live wx and/or traffic on Foreflight? In the States I know there is Stratus, but wondering what's available and preferred here in Canada. Looking forward to logging some hours in this great country in 2018!

Thanks!

Stephen.
---------- ADS -----------

flyguy73
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyguy73 »

Spinwmts wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:24 am Hi All, I'm new newcomer to AVCanda and just wondering if there are any receivers that provide live wx and/or traffic on Foreflight? In the States I know there is Stratus, but wondering what's available and preferred here in Canada. Looking forward to logging some hours in this great country in 2018!
Just got back from a long X-C in the US. For this, I purchased a DIY Stratux system (www.stratux.me). $200 price was right and it includes GPS and AHRS. It's great having live weather and traffic info at your fingertips. I'm looking forward to having ADSB in Canada and would gladly pay the several thousand dollar price of admission for this capability.

milotron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by milotron »

That must be nice. I am in Victoria and can pick up only transient traffic overhead commercial heavies fitted with ADSB, no weather broadcasts. I also would happily upgrade the old KT76 to get those data streams.

Spinwmts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spinwmts »

Just got back from a long X-C in the US.
Sweet, Where'd you fly out from?

Yeah, It would be really nice to get live WX and traffic in the air up here through foreflight.

Spinwmts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spinwmts »

Returning back to the original conversation: I originally flew w an iPad using foreflight and have often found that in a C150 it would be a bit too big for that little cramped cockpit, add a kneeboard and it was almost impossible. I'm hoping that the Mini 4 (That I just got two weeks ago :) ) will be a bit better to handle (With a kneeboard).

flyguy73
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyguy73 »

Spinwmts wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:41 am Returning back to the original conversation: I originally flew w an iPad using foreflight and have often found that in a C150 it would be a bit too big for that little cramped cockpit, add a kneeboard and it was almost impossible. I'm hoping that the Mini 4 (That I just got two weeks ago :) ) will be a bit better to handle (With a kneeboard).
I was using Stratux with an ipad mini 4, mounted on a yoke mount on a flight from SW Ontario to Myrtle Beach. Worked great. Had the stratux mounted in the glareshield and received both 1090ES and UAT traffic and weather. This is in a PA-28, but Cessna would be very similar. I feel the full sized ipad would be too big to have mounted in the cockpit, but some people do this.

I also have a Zaon MRX, coupled to a GPSMap 396. I saw more potentially conflicting traffic on the ADSB than on the Zaon. In Canada, we usually use the Zaon & 396, but it only picks up maybe 50% of the traffic in the area.

whits
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by whits »

I have the 128gb mini without cellular and use a Dual external GPS receiver. If you are flying 5+ hours every day and struggle to remember to charge what 900 flying gadgets you are supposed to take with you, I don't recommend this combination. It was great when I was flying privately, but now it seems like the gps receiver is always dying. I also found it would lose the bluetooth connection quite often too, so I would have to wait for it and restart foreflight. By the end of the season I ended up scrapping the receiver and using my ipad with foreflight as a more manageable way to view charts, cfs, and jot times on the scratch pad. That being said, I have heard a number of people having much better luck with the bad elf.

Return to “General Comments”