Arctic Radio is gone

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Arctic Radio is gone

Post by pelmet »

Too bad...they actually had radar up there and could see you while enroute. Visited them once down below North Bay . An entire multiple story in a huge underground cavern. Nuclear blast doors and blast tunnel as well.

RCO's are being moved.

http://www.navcanada.ca/EN/products-and ... 20.pdf#top
---------- ADS -----------

x-wind
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Arctic Radio is gone

Post by x-wind »

End of an era. Now we moved to space based systems.

That Space X launch that had people worried last week over LA was for the Iridium constellation which is what we'll be using for our space based ATC system.

https://aireon.com/category/press-releases/

Axial Flow
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Axial Flow »

CYPC (for whatever reason it won't post the name) ...... didn't get anything to replace Cape Parry?

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Cypc is paulituk did you try cycp?

Brantford Beech Boy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brantford Beech Boy »

Cape Perry should not be required if they are putting in a unit in Holman. Other than the odd weather report, we mostly used Cape Perry to get a descent clearance out of the flight levels into YHI.

BBB

"Almost anywhere, almost anytime...worldwide(ish)"
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Brevoort • Cape Parry • Edinburgh Island • Shepherd Bay • Cambridge Bay • Cartwright • Hall Beach • Shingle Point • Cape Dyer • Dewar Lakes • Saglek

I was lucky as I got to almost every location listed here except Cartwright(hopefully someday) and Edinburgh Island(never even heard of it). Most of it was for site clean-up stuff.

Cape Parry was very cool as just across the ocean inlet(flown at 50'--might be a typo) was the smoking hills which is quite amazing to see. Then again, so is Brevoort with its sheer cliff at the runway threshold and Cape Dyer is quite scenic as well. Had to do a go-around at Dewar Lakes due to a huge Caribou on the runway. Saglek had a WWII wreckage still there with a sad story for the survivors of the crash. Too bad Cape Hooper isn't listed as it is a particularly cool airport as well.

Cambridge Bay and Hall Beach....don't particularly miss them but straight-forward for getting in when the weather is low.

Brantford Beech Boy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brantford Beech Boy »

pelmet wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:17 am Brevoort • Cape Parry • Edinburgh Island • Shepherd Bay • Cambridge Bay • Cartwright • Hall Beach • Shingle Point • Cape Dyer • Dewar Lakes • Saglek

I was lucky as I got to almost every location listed here except Cartwright(hopefully someday) and Edinburgh Island(never even heard of it). Most of it was for site clean-up stuff.
Me too. Was at Resolution Island a few times too and Longstaff Bluff. Never made Loks Land or Cape Christian cause they were rotor wing only.

Anyone else remember back in the day when you couldn't get a word in edgewise sometimes on 126.7, so many high flyers doing endless position reports to Arctic Radio...

I remember my first "switch-flickology" error, making a beautiful PA on 26.7 (I had been practicing in the mirror!), and Speedbird coming on and asking "..say again what time we are anticipating Cape Dorset.."... I LOLZ now, but was so embarrassed at the time

BBB

"Almost anywhere, almost anytime...worldwide(ish)"
Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

So nothing anywhere west of YEV?

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"

Return to “General Comments”