Pulling the Chute

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

mantogasrsrwy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Pulling the Chute

Post by mantogasrsrwy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... TdRB5Lp2Gw

Comments?

Maybe he needed to hold the inputs?
---------- ADS -----------

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Pulling the Chute

Post by B208 »

Deficient training.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

In all fairness, the Cirrus' were never fully flight tested for spin recoveries and are known to be tricky to recover and in some cases, are irrecoverable.

Cirrus was able to convince the FAA to forego the spin recovery certification with design elements improving spin resistance and he addition of a chute should a spin be encountered. If I am not mistaken, the spin recovery technique for those is to pull the chute...

I wouldn't be so quick in saying the lack of recovery is purely the pilot's fault. No GA airplane should be so tricky to recover that relaxing the stick back-pressure wouln't initiate a recovery (albeit longer than with properly applied controls).

Going for the deck at corner
mantogasrsrwy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mantogasrsrwy »

I read up on it a bit after seeing the video and that's what I came across, parachute instead of spin certification and not easily recovered. That being said, what I read said they were recoverable. Regardless, he wasted a lot of time (at least 25 seconds) stirring the pot before he started to deployed the chute. Seems to me you would either put the right inputs in immediately or deploy the chute immediately. I'd be curious to know if this is the first spin he's ever seen. I think some countries (USA) don't train them.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Not a cirrus, unless they have a rotax up front.

mantogasrsrwy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mantogasrsrwy »

What is it? Cirrus came to mind because of the chute.

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

Could be a Diamond DA40. Not sure if the canopy opens forwards or backwards on them.

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

Man. I am notsure how that deploys but think of the twists in the risers. Would the chute even inflate?

mantogasrsrwy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mantogasrsrwy »

Now I looked at some Diamond and Cirrus cockpits online I'm pretty sure it's not either of those. That v shaped panel with the parachute handle looks a bit crude. Do they make BRS for home builts?

gwagen
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gwagen »

mantogasrsrwy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:31 pm Now I looked at some Diamond and Cirrus cockpits online I'm pretty sure it's not either of those. That v shaped panel with the parachute handle looks a bit crude. Do they make BRS for home builts?
Absolutely

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

Not a Cirrus, chute deployment handle is mounted on ceiling between and above the two pilot seats. And not a Diamond, I've flown them during training and doesn't look remotely close. Judging by the cockpit, I will guess it's a light-sport/homebuilt of some sort.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

Glad that the chute was there to save his life, but it sure looks like he had no clue how to stop the spin and was just trying random control movements. Hard to tell if the aircraft was recoverable since he never did seem to do (and hold) the proper inputs

dpm
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dpm »

I've never been in an imminent life-or-death aviation emergency, but I have been first on the scene trying to pull someone from a burning car (many, many years ago).

I think anyone calmly criticising an accident pilot's reactions hasn't had that kind of life experience yet—it's like you've been transported to a different universe, where time is either incredibly slow or incredibly fast, and your brain is crystal clear on some things and absolutely incapable of thinking about others. I suggest going light on the criticism unless you've been there (and if you have, you probably won't be tempted to criticise anyway).

Not that we can't still study and learn, in a non-judgemental way.

@CYRO
Docbrad
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Docbrad »

Honestly thought that was a simulator at first with the idle chatter in the background, the narrow view outside and a six pack of instruments on a single screen.

I can't believed he waited until the last second to pull the chute! It barely had time to slow him down!

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

I guess that my point, regardless of type, is that not all aircraft are certified for Spin Recoveries. A good way to see this is by having a Spin Chute installed. No sane company would spend the money to integrate such a system and add the weight to make an airplane safer if it didn't need it. Some spin modes may be irrecoverable in such aircraft. The standard recovery taught during your PPL/CPL may not necessarily work.

Going for the deck at corner
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I don't see much happening with the rudder, unless it is pinned from the start. I'd be interested to see the minutes before & what led him into this situation,

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
Prodriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Prodriver »

What kind of shit box was that?

"I need a time machine"

Return to “General Comments”