10 year take home pay

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: 10 year take home pay

Post by DaveP »

Hi B
10 have left from WJ since Aug/Sept.
All pretty junior guys n a couple gals (mostly 25/26000 emp numbers) with the exception of two that had a few years service in. Sorry for the thread drift!
Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

privateer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by privateer »

When does swoop plan to start service?

NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NewCommercialPilot »

I don't know what my average take home pay is as I rarely work my posted schedule, but as a 15 year employee and 13 year captain on the NG Flica says I worked (FACT) 739 hours and fifty nine minutes of hard time in 2017, and though I have a hard time deciphering my pay stub, it does state that I had (FACT) 147,531.00 in income tax deducted in 2017. I'm guessing, but my T4 should be around (GUESS) $370? Who knows, maybe I'm under paid. If so, bring it on!!

Last edited by NewCommercialPilot on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

DropTanks wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:44 am Here's the catch...there IS no retirement program at all at WJ. Nada. Zip. Zilch. The ESP is simply a pay scheme in the form of WJ stock. If you're willing and able to contribute up to 20% of your bi-weekly earnings to buy WJ stock then the company will match it. Like getting another 20% pay. Entirely optional although you'd be pretty stupid to leave that money on the table. You can't turn around and sell for one year.

As for retirement at WJ...we'll it's up to each of us to invest in our own. Simple as that.

Some folks find it all too difficult financially to do full ESP and also figure out a retirement plan so they want a real pension. Personally I love the ESP system.
If you keep ~15% ESP and invest it, you end up with a somewhat equivalent pension to AC's DB plan.

So basically, add 25% of your ESP cash to your take-home and then you will get a fair comparison between AC and WJ.

jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

What Bede said.

What new commercial pilot said.

I'll take my ESP program over a pension any day of the week.

I liquidate the WS shares at a profit then I roll the cash into a managed fund - like a pension. The beauty is that when I croak - the fund isn't chopped in half.

It ain't all roses over here but it isn't all that bad either.

Cheers and happy new year!

JJJ

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

I'll stick with ESP over pension any day.

I transfer out of wj stock every quarter and put it in my managed portfolio. I don't even look at the price anymore. Maybe that's a bad position to take, but I've personally decided my personal products out-perform our unpredictable stock that likes to go down on good news day. :? :rolleyes:

It is a hit to take-home pay but only for the first year of employment, but after that you do have access to a pool of money on a money basis. If there is a month that I want to make a purchase I have no regrets withdrawing some of my non-registered to make the purchase. At my age and desired retirement age, keeping 20% in there is more than enough.

NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

I'm a guy who likes facts. Maybe there's others out there who like facts, and not just propaganda. One of the facts that I really like is the fact that my taxable gross income for the 14 day period that ended 5 January 2018 was $25,153.34. As a line pilot. For 14 days of work. Of course this was money earned under that sub-par WJPA negotiated pilot agreement so who knows what will be achieveable once that ALPA crowd negotiates that first CBA. Solidarity brothers and sisters!

Of course just in case ALPA doesn't get me that jammy seniority driven schedule with uber-high salary in their first CBA, I'm working on a second revenue stream. The following blog is about the work I was doing in the last six months while enduring that sub-par schedule (730 hours hard time) and sub-par salary ($370K).

https://blog.adafruit.com/2018/01/10/wh ... l-of-tech/

Mustard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mustard »

Newcommercialpilot you don’t know your take home pay? It’s easy. Look at what they deposit in your account. And 370k on 740hrs? That’s a better rate than I thought wj paid.

Dangerous Goods
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dangerous Goods »

BAHAHAHAHA!!! Oh John, you're awesome!

Caption that photo:

"MOM! I don't want to put up this tent!! I want to play laser tag with my friends!!"

I'm glad to see that wingsuit flying brings you so much joy!! Look at that smile!! lol

Sorry dude, I'm sure you have tons of cool wing suit videos but that picture is priceless!

Return to “WestJet”