Juan Air

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ave8or14
Rank 1
Rank 1

Juan Air

Post by ave8or14 »

I'm thinking of going to Juan Air, In Victoria. I was just wondering if anyone has anything to say about the school ? I've herd nothing but good things. Im planning on doing my CPL, Multi IFR there.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

First class operation, lots of opportunity for employment/advancement right through to turbine equipment. YOU WILL LEARN TONS. Go for it. Victoria's a nice place to live, Sydney's a bit of a hole.

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
privateer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by privateer »

Are they still selling PPC's on their Ho?????

Yoyoma
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Yoyoma »

Airtids wrote:Go for it. Victoria's a nice place to live, Sydney's a bit of a hole.
It's not that bad. :wink: There's always the good'ol coffee shop!

Image In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield...W. Buffett
ave8or14
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ave8or14 »

I dont think Sydney is unbearable, but its an alright little town. I've visited there a couple of times and have friends that live there

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

They're a business and will sell you the shirt off their backs if it means they'll be around another year. Of course they're selling time on whatever equipment someone wants to pay for :roll: . Their staff are professionals, skilled, and get paid to do their jobs- always.
Sidney is a very beautiful little town by the sea with some seriously disenchanted youth, nothing better to do than roam the streets and curb-stomp any kid unlucky enough to get caught alone.
The chowder at Mary's is phenomenal, I'll give them that...

"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
aileron
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aileron »

I guess I'll come to the defense of Snidney (food/coffee wise)... I too remember the curb stomping crap that happened like 8 years ago - it really gave a poor light to the place. Here are some of my favs for Sidney:

Stonestreet Cafe for great coffee and lunch
Italian Bakery for cappuccino/pastries
La Collina for the same
Fish on Fifth - great fish & chip shop, really original
Maria's Souvlaki for great donairs
Starke's Deli for great Dutch style meat sandwiches and a health dose of abuse
Dakota's within the VFC building for lunch
Spitfire Grill for great wraps
Dock 503 for high-end dinner

Outlining areas:
The Roost - the Pastrami on Rye is to die for - seriously
Stonehouse Pub - if you're waiting for the ferry this pub will allow you to watch time die for the sake of it dying while enjoying a nice cold one - try Murray's Curry (really nice)
The Prarie Inn - One of the oldest pubs around, Est. 1859 for crap sake!

For things to do in Sidney:
If you're into sailing this place is mecca with over 5 marinas
Theres the BC Aviation Museum, really great collection
Hell if you're into sk8ing they even have a sk8 park
You can start off a great day of biking from the paved bike trail that starts at the ferry and will take you all the way to the Galloping Goose Trail (to Sooke)

Whatever's your bag man, you'll find it. With popularity of Victoria and outlining areas never-ending, the natural push has been northward up the peninsula; Sidney is getting caught up in that development scene too. It still holds a charm of a quaint small town, but I bet those days are numbered.

Anyway, my 1.68 US Cent

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

Glad to hear things have changed. Moved away about 9 years ago so maybe you can appreciate the poor taste that was left in my mouth. Truly a dispicable event.

Yoyoma
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Yoyoma »

aileron wrote:
Stonestreet Cafe for great coffee and lunch
Italian Bakery for cappuccino/pastries
La Collina for the same
Fish on Fifth - great fish & chip shop, really original
Maria's Souvlaki for great donairs
Starke's Deli for great Dutch style meat sandwiches and a health dose of abuse
Dakota's within the VFC building for lunch
Spitfire Grill for great wraps
Dock 503 for high-end dinner
I have to amend a few of those following recent events and bad experiences!! :lol:

Ralph's Coffee for great coffee and sandwiches
Italian Bakery for cappuccino/pastries -> Amen to that
La Collina for the same -> Amen to that but getting pricey!
Hyland's Fish & Chips - great fish & chips place!
Maria's Souvlaki for great Chicken Souvlakies!!
Starke's Deli for great Dutch style meat sandwiches and a health dose of abuse -> Amen to that
Dakota's within the VFC building for lunch -> I'm never eating there ever again...burk!!
Spitfire Grill for great wraps -> Amen to that
Dock 503 for high-end dinner -> I'll have to try that

Yoyoma

Image In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield...W. Buffett
LostinRotation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by LostinRotation »

Sounds like a pretty sweet place.... What started out being described as a " hole " has turned into a place to visit one day.

-=0=LIR=0=-

Sometimes I think it's a shame when I get feelin' better when I'm feelin no pain.

Yoyoma
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Yoyoma »

LostinRotation wrote:Sounds like a pretty sweet place.... What started out being described as a " hole " has turned into a place to visit one day.

-=0=LIR=0=-
I love flying and sailing, both are available here within minutes of each other. Great scenery, quiet highways, great downtown restaurants!

I love it here, to bad there is no Business life happening! + the real estate market is nuts!

LostinRotation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by LostinRotation »

I need to get out of the city and get back to the basics of life...Flying, good people, good music and a beer by the fire. Sounds like you have it made :D

-=0=LIR=0=-

Sometimes I think it's a shame when I get feelin' better when I'm feelin no pain.

Pugster
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Pugster »

I'll add another one...

The red rock crab fishing off the old government wharf in Sydney is pretty good and WAY less crowded than some of the other popular haunts. I consider a late night crabbing followed by a feast to be a mandatory V.I. experience.

I've heard nothing but good things about Juan Air, especially in the last couple of years.

Pugster

Yoyoma
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Yoyoma »

I love the size, it's small and quiet. I've lived in major cities all my life and it gets crowded! Sidney and Victoria offer a nice balance between a growing city and beautiful landscape/sceneries. Downtown Victoria is beautiful. I often just wander the streets, grab a veggy dog and watch some of the downtown entertainers!

Anyone ever try the Japanese Village?

Here are my ultimate 3:

The Keg
Japanese Village
Blue Fox Cafe -> Breakfast...yum yum!! :D

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

Absolutely, the Huevos at the Blue Fox would be my last meal, assuming I would actually get a choice. I'd recommend you try Yokohamas for raw fish, though!!

aileron
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aileron »

Ahh, now we're talking... the Blue Fox, ya man! Those are some of the best breakfast links I've ever had.

haligoner
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by haligoner »

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned the fact that Juan Air was bought by one of the Thomson boys, Kenneth I think, son of Lord Thomson, who happens to be the richest man in Canada. (Kenneth that is, Lord Thomson died). Think Thomson media, ie Globe and Mail, etc. They operate that private 737 based in YYJ and apparently bought J.A. for the OC to do charter work. Bruce sold it but has been kept around on a consulting basis. They've also bought pretty much every bit of valuable real estate on and around the YYJ airport and have some big plans to develop into some international training center. So could be some possibilities there!

hz2p
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by hz2p »

Out in BC, is there also a "Mary Jane" Air?

Ducking & running .... :D

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

It's "Mary Juan" Air, for those East of the rockies! :wink: And yes, as haligoner stated, there have been some BIG changes. The '37 is operated 604, but the Conquest(s?) and Chieftains are 703/704. Bruce is one of the class acts in this industry, and many, like myself, consider it a privelege to have started our careers with him. Trash-talk this operation and all you're doing is displaying your ignorance...

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I second Airtids opinion on Bruce.

He is first class and so is his operation.

Cat.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

Return to “Flight Training”