Swoop pilot hiring.

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Transonic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Swoop pilot hiring.

Post by Transonic »

telex wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:47 pm
altiplano wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:43 pm
Donald wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:45 pm Where was the blacklist for:

Jetsgo

Enerjet

Sunwing

Flair

Encore

Any other airline that has "lowered the bar".

I get that WJ pilots are upset by Swoop, but this blacklist nonsense has to stop.

Unless you are willing to start building a pilot compensation fund for anyone who ends up unemployed and not hired at WJ or AC.
There's a difference. There were always airlines and pilots that "lower the bar", undercut the next guy.

But here you have management outright end running their own pilot group (a pilot group that by all accounts has been extremely productive and accommodating to building how many consecutive quarters of profit?) with scabs flying the same airplanes.

Anyone going to this hastily put together entity, not only works for less and hurts our profession, but most significantly also actively undermines the collective bargaining process of the Westjet Pilots.

Scabs. Not guys just trying to get a better job. Scabs hurting another group. They ought to think about their choices and be aware they are being used... of course some won't give a shit.
Since we're using "scab" to define anybody who did the same work as another pilot group for less money can somebody please post what Canadian Airlines B737-200 drivers were being paid when Westjet started flying B737-200's to the same destinations?

How about a DC9 Captain at AC? Similar work and all.
Again, not relevant as they are different companies.

This is why the term scab is being thrown around. From Section 10 of WestJet's 2015 Pilot Agreement.

"All aircraft operated by WestJet, WestJet Encore, its subsidiaries, affiliates and/or any entity in which WestJet has effective and/or operational control must be flown by pilots as listed in the WPDL."

This contact is presently frozen until a CBA is ratified. The story is just beginning.
---------- ADS -----------

yyc757
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yyc757 »

telex wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:21 am
yyc757 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:05 am Canadian, AC and WJ were DIFFERENT COMPANIES. Canadian didn't own WJ.
AC didn't own WJ.

WJ OWNS Swoop.

One more thing Dadiem, if you just wait a few months you'll get a way better job because if no one applies WJ will have to actually use its pilots and will then be hiring. Now if you just want to budge the line (and literally take my left seat after I have just been here almost 8 years) then you are a selfish opportunist who will step on honest people's livelihoods. I have a family to take care of. You have a family too. Do you see me coming in and bumping you out of a job?
Now I got it. Westjet started and their pilots worked for less than those already established in the industry doing the same work thus raising the bar for all.

I assume you support Flair undercutting every other operation because they are a DIFFERENT COMPANY?
No. Clearly you don't. I am not a hypocrite. I did not apply back then. I chose a different airline.

Flair pay is not my business. I may not like it (and I didn't appreciate the early days pay at WJ.... which is why I didn't apply) but that is not my company. Swoop is.

This is an internal matter.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Donald wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:22 pm ... to book a ticket on them, one will go to the WJ website and book the cheapest option available to them: Swoop.

Just like you go to the AC page to "book" Jazz, Sky, or Rouge.
This is incorrect. All Swoop bookings will be on a separate website with a separate check-in area etc.

WestJet is far more concerned about having Swoop hurt their image than it is about upsetting the pilot group. As a result they're using a separate website and booking engine.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

telex wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:47 pm Since we're using "scab" to define anybody who did the same work as another pilot group for less money
No that's not it. As I said, there will always be some that are at the bottom... undercutting the next operator.

There is some nuance lost there.

What makes them a scab is doing the work of the pilot group. They are complicit in the corporation undermining the job and position of someone else trying to achieve a collective agreement.

It's akin to crossing a picket line in a strike to support the corporate position, keep the flights going, diminish the position of the person's job you're taking, and do it for less.

This is union busting... Plain and simple. It's not about you. It's about hurting someone else. Is that what you want to be used to support?

While you may think you're advancing your interests, it's short term thinking.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

RB211 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:55 am
altiplano wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:43 pm ...
Anyone going to this hastily put together entity, not only works for less and hurts our profession, but most significantly also actively undermines the collective bargaining process of the Westjet Pilots.

Ultimately that is the issue you have isn't it? Other pilots should put the interest of the WJ pilots first and foremost when contemplating such an opportunity. It is not an altruistic concern for our "profession" but rather self preservation. The same self preservation that some other pilot has when looking to Swoop.
It isn't self preservation for me, RB211.
I don't work at Westjet and this won't directly affect me.

This is about other pilots being complicit in subverting the rights and standing of another pilot. Not just working for less, but fucking them while you do it. Supporting corporate interests over those of your professional colleagues while selling yourself short.

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

I don't think statements that this doesn't affect anyone not at WestJet apply, as it WILL affect EVERYONE. This isn't about "putting the WestJet pilots first" or "self preservation". This amounts to professional preservation. In contract negotiations, other companies' pay scales and working conditions serve as benchmarks and bargaining bars. If you have a company like Swoop operating 737s at a given low cost, that opens up negotiations at a completely different company where they'll contrast Swoops operation to theirs and lowball their offers. This affects everyone from AC, WJ, Transat, Flair, Sunwing, and down to Jazz, Sky, GGN, private operators, etc... As someone mentioned about Jazz, there's no way Jazz will allow their Captains to make more than a 737 Captain at Swoop would they? Not in the longterm. Next negotiation will lowball in comparison. It's an all encompassing effect, so yes, it affects everyone and everyone's livelihoods, current and future, WestJet or not, by eroding the standards to which we value our professional worth.

privateer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by privateer »

This is why the term scab is being thrown around. From Section 10 of WestJet's 2015 Pilot Agreement.

"All aircraft operated by WestJet, WestJet Encore, its subsidiaries, affiliates and/or any entity in which WestJet has effective and/or operational control must be flown by pilots as listed in the WPDL."

This contact is presently frozen until a CBA is ratified. The story is just beginning.
Going back to the illegal action taken by WJ management...

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

infiniteregulus wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:46 am I don't think statements that this doesn't affect anyone not at WestJet apply, as it WILL affect EVERYONE. This isn't about "putting the WestJet pilots first" or "self preservation". This amounts to professional preservation. In contract negotiations, other companies' pay scales and working conditions serve as benchmarks and bargaining bars. If you have a company like Swoop operating 737s at a given low cost, that opens up negotiations at a completely different company where they'll contrast Swoops operation to theirs and lowball their offers. This affects everyone from AC, WJ, Transat, Flair, Sunwing, and down to Jazz, Sky, GGN, private operators, etc... As someone mentioned about Jazz, there's no way Jazz will allow their Captains to make more than a 737 Captain at Swoop would they? Not in the longterm. Next negotiation will lowball in comparison. It's an all encompassing effect, so yes, it affects everyone and everyone's livelihoods, current and future, WestJet or not, by eroding the standards to which we value our professional worth.
Is this your first day in aviation?

Why do you think everyone else was disgusted by Encore?

Disgusted by Flair?

Disgusted by Enerjet?

This is not new. It's just new that WJ pilots are feeling threatened by their management.

Noo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Noo »

Transonic wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:26 am So most likely best to compare to WS @77.5hrs/month.
Step 1 - $96 320
Step 2 - $111 135
Step 3 - $122 267
$96320 CAD or $77514 US Dollar for a 737 Captain. Would it be safe to say Canada has the lowest airline pilot salaries in the first world? Is there anywhere paying 737 Captains $77k USD outside of perhaps Africa?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Noo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:27 am
Transonic wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:26 am So most likely best to compare to WS @77.5hrs/month.
Step 1 - $96 320
Step 2 - $111 135
Step 3 - $122 267
$96320 CAD or $77514 US Dollar for a 737 Captain. Would it be safe to say Canada has the lowest airline pilot salaries in the first world? Is there anywhere paying 737 Captains $77k USD outside of perhaps Africa?
I have an up-to-date chart of the CA/FO pay rates for all of the US carriers operating NB fleets. If I posted it, you would puke. Including retirement contributions made by the employer an Alaska 737/320 12th year CA is paid US$300/hr. The big 3 are 6-7% above that.

Even WJ/AC are 25%+ below the average compensation level of the top 8. Factoring in exchange it is approaching 50%. Carriers like FLAIR/SWOOP etc are paying CA rates lower than the US FO rates on the same equipment not including exchange.

Yes, Canada is clearly an outlier when it comes to pilot pay with signs of a deteriorating trend.

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

Donald wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:11 am
infiniteregulus wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:46 am I don't think statements that this doesn't affect anyone not at WestJet apply, as it WILL affect EVERYONE. This isn't about "putting the WestJet pilots first" or "self preservation". This amounts to professional preservation. In contract negotiations, other companies' pay scales and working conditions serve as benchmarks and bargaining bars. If you have a company like Swoop operating 737s at a given low cost, that opens up negotiations at a completely different company where they'll contrast Swoops operation to theirs and lowball their offers. This affects everyone from AC, WJ, Transat, Flair, Sunwing, and down to Jazz, Sky, GGN, private operators, etc... As someone mentioned about Jazz, there's no way Jazz will allow their Captains to make more than a 737 Captain at Swoop would they? Not in the longterm. Next negotiation will lowball in comparison. It's an all encompassing effect, so yes, it affects everyone and everyone's livelihoods, current and future, WestJet or not, by eroding the standards to which we value our professional worth.
Is this your first day in aviation?

Why do you think everyone else was disgusted by Encore?

Disgusted by Flair?

Disgusted by Enerjet?

This is not new. It's just new that WJ pilots are feeling threatened by their management.
Obviously it's not my first day, but it seems to be for a lot of people thinking this doesn't affect them too...

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Noo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:27 am
Step 1 - $96 320
Step 2 - $111 135
Step 3 - $122 267
737 Capts in Africa make significantly more than $77k USD. Perhaps double that.

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:52 pm Am I the only one who sees the backward logic some people have here? A Swoop captain, flying a 737, makes less than an A scale captain at Jazz on an RJ/Q4/Classic. (Status pay means type is irrelevant.)

The Swoop guy seems to have this “but I fly a 737!” Mentality, which to me, seems backwards. You fly a bigger plane, do more work, are responsible for more people, and have much worse working conditions, for LESS money.

How is this a win exactly? Does shiny jet syndrome really still exist?
It does when your hauling pop and chips and are based in Pickle Lake.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Hey! I liked my two summers in YPL. If i had to relive my career, I'd go back there in a heartbeat.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

I’m sure anyone meeting most of the swoop requirements as a captain can go left seat at Encore which by the time you factor in the ESP and profit share is probably the same as year one swoop cpt.

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

privateer wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:50 am

Going back to the illegal action taken by WJ management...
THIS!!! ☝🏻

Now I know why our MEC Chair was so upbeat when I discussed my concerns around this Swoop business.

I think what we have here folks is the old "bait n switch". The company makes us worry about something that we really shouldn't be worrying about. We pass those concerns/worry to our negots committees who then fight hard to make damn sure we don't lose the flying we shouldn't lose to begin with Then we may feel victorious if we sign a deal which locks in Swoop flying on one side and gives only marginal increases on the other. It's subconscious human behaviour. I wonder if negotiators have employed human nature/behavioral experts?
Fascinating!

Ex DC10 Driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ex DC10 Driver »

What if every pilot they hire goes to the bottom of the WPDL?...we already hire out of sequence in that we hire WestJet pilots and place them on the list below Encore pilots. Encore is a separate company with a separate OC and so will Swoop be.

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

Westjet doesn't control the seniority list. We do. Basically the Swoop flying would have to be available to anybody on list in order of seniority and if any spots are left then they could put new hires in there. This is all just semantics right now though. What it all really means is that flying done under the parent company of WJ is subject to negotiation by WJ ALPA pilots. That's the whole point of certification. Real legal ramifications. No airline in Canada (to my knowledge) has tried such an end-run around a legally certified labour group before. Even KFC-Flair don't even come close. This is flying pax on WJ owned aircraft, dispatched, maintained and managed by WJ at the top. This was all a ploy to get us thinking about something else we need to "lock down".

Transonic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Transonic »

Ex DC10 Driver wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:52 pm What if every pilot they hire goes to the bottom of the WPDL?...we already hire out of sequence in that we hire WestJet pilots and place them on the list below Encore pilots. Encore is a separate company with a separate OC and so will Swoop be.
Section 3.1.2

"For pilots hired after May 12, 2014, the individual's position on the WPDL will be the date of hire (DOH) on which he started or starts as a pilot for WestJet or WestJet Encore."

Only WestJet and WestJet Encore pilots can hold a position on the WPDL.

neophyte
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neophyte »

I would like to thank the now defunct WJPA for this agreement verbage :D

Return to “WestJet”