Plane registered to Roy Halladay crashes in Gulf off Florida

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Plane registered to Roy Halladay crashes in Gulf off Florida

Post by GyvAir »

Broken Slinky wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:06 am 2:28
Looks closer to 50 inches than 50 feet. Not exactly a runway smooth surface under them, either.
---------- ADS -----------

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

Seems he had a cocktail of alcohol and drugs in his system according to the autopsy. The quantities are unknown (except the 10mg of alcohol). I'm sure it is a contributing factor.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

tps8903 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:05 pm Seems he had a cocktail of alcohol and drugs in his system according to the autopsy. The quantities are unknown (except the 10mg of alcohol). I'm sure it is a contributing factor.
Source?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

ahramin wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:34 pm
tps8903 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:05 pm Seems he had a cocktail of alcohol and drugs in his system according to the autopsy. The quantities are unknown (except the 10mg of alcohol). I'm sure it is a contributing factor.
Source?
https://globalnews.ca/news/3976546/roy- ... ane-crash/

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

0.01 is very low...that's one glass of wine 2 hours ago, and is way below the driving limit.

The Ambien is probably more likely to have been a factor. 50ng/mL increases the risk of a motor vehicle accident, and he had 72ng/Ml.

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

CpnCrunch wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:05 pm 0.01 is very low...that's one glass of wine 2 hours ago, and is way below the driving limit.
Yes. You are correct. But two hours since last drink is no where near the required 8 hour flying limit.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Steady, there. Nobody here knows whether he had one glass two hours ago or four glasses eight hours ago. “One glass two hours ago” was just an example of something that might have resulted in 0.01, not drawn from any knowledge of what he might have drunk or when.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

Regardless of amounts he had measurable amounts of impairing substances in his body. Because it is also poly-drug use it is very difficult to say exactly how impaired he was. The combination of drugs and alcohol at a minimum will be at least as impairing as the sum of their parts, but more often will have exponential effect on his faculties. Ambian (CNS depressant), alcohol (CNS depressant), Morphine (Metabolite of a Narcotic Analgesic) will compound the impairment.

I found that people who take these cocktails often take an amphetamine to mask the signs of impairment. Who knows if this is the case here.

Unfortunately alcohol is the only substance here that has a quantifiable correlation between BAC and impairment. So we may never know how impaired he was.

All of this makes me very sad. He was a hero of mine growing up in Toronto.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Spoiler alert drugs/booze didn't kill the baseball player, his attitude and history of bad decisions killed him, he's been quoted many times as saying he likes flying like a "fighter pilot" low and fast, which is also exactly how icon markets their aircraft, and exactly what he was going when he crashed.

I'm sure icon will use the trace amount of drugs to point the finger away from them and how they market their product to be used, and no doubtfully how they conduct their inhouse training.

But yeah, didn't have jack diddly to do with drugs, had to do with how me liked to fly and how he was taught to fly.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

drugs/booze didn't kill the baseball player, his attitude and history of bad decisions killed him, he's been quoted many times as saying he likes flying like a "fighter pilot" low and fast, which is also exactly how icon markets their aircraft, and exactly what he was going when he crashed.
This.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

tps8903 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:35 am Regardless of amounts he had measurable amounts of impairing substances in his body.
The biggest impairing substance in his body was his brain(ie thought process).

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

SuperchargedRS wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:31 am Spoiler alert drugs/booze didn't kill the baseball player, his attitude and history of bad decisions killed him, he's been quoted many times as saying he likes flying like a "fighter pilot" low and fast, which is also exactly how icon markets their aircraft, and exactly what he was going when he crashed.

I'm sure icon will use the trace amount of drugs to point the finger away from them and how they market their product to be used, and no doubtfully how they conduct their inhouse training.

But yeah, didn't have jack diddly to do with drugs, had to do with how me liked to fly and how he was taught to fly.
It could have been a combination of both. Maybe if he hadn't been so strung out, he might have recovered before hitting the water. Although you could say his reckless attitude caused both the dangerous flying and his drug use.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Hopefully, the primary takeaway message for newer pilots here is don't aggressively maneuver your aircraft close to the surface, you can loose reference, even in nice flying conditions, and won't have the reference, nor time to recover. The avoidance of drugs and alcohol should be self evident!

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”