What kind of watch do you wear?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: What kind of watch do you wear?

Post by FICU »

Casio Wave Cepter, analog with a digital window ... not expensive, not over the top or gaudy, sets itself automatically to the atomic clock and is solar powered.
https://www.casio.com/products/watches/ ... vam640d-1a
---------- ADS -----------

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Jeeezus -- does anyone wear a watch anymore -- I got 2 rolex in my drawer that I have not wore in about 15 years -- I have gone back to a pocket watch -- mobile phone

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

Wow! I'm blown away by the money you guys are spending on watches! I guess I'd better look for the cheap, oops, I mean thrifty pilot forum....

If it were me, I'd take the dough, by a cheap watch (since who uses one anyway, as has been said) and go find a Pitts somewhere to do some aerobatics in

But then again, I've driven a lot of fords

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

Heliian wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:55 pm
Jet Jockey wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:25 pm My Breitling of course! :-)

2 for $5
LOL... You wished!

Bought it in 1991 as a gift to myself when I left Paris, France where I was based on a 3 year contract flying FK28 for a Canadian company who had a contract with a major French regional airline partly owned by Air France..

Why a Breitling? Because its historical relationship with aviation and because I loved its design and the fact it was made of Ti.

Originally I had a leather bracelet which was changed to the present day configuration when it needed to be replaced. Also the UTC (small watch) was added many years after the original purchase.

It is a light watch and not so big compared to the original Breitlings which cost a hell of a lot more than this one.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

I'm quite fond of my Hamilton Khaki Aviation Flight Timer. Mine has a grey face instead of the white face in this link.

https://www.ashford.com/us/watches/hami ... 6032&so=34

Unfortunately Hamilton doesn't make any digital/analog watches any more so finding this one was a little tough. I'm not sure, maybe growing up in the 80's warped me, but I quite enjoy having the digital display so I'm able to really easily change time zones and GMT, while at the same time having the classic look of an analog. The light makes it easy to read at night.

When I have too much money for my wife to suggest I'm wasting it on frivolous things (read: never), I'd love to get the Breitling Aerospace.

Those who know me will also understand why I'm also partial to lesser known high end brand called Ball Watch. http://www.ballwatch.com/global/en/home.html

Or, you could always splurge for the $228,000 Clé de Cartier watch http://www.cartier.com/en-us/collection ... watch.html :lol:

skydivepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skydivepilot »

Here is a post about watches from 2016. I replied saying I use a Trintec for flying. Its not an expensive watch (sale price was $150) but is easy to read at a glance and they offer great customer service.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=107837

I see my Trintec Zulu-01 GMT is no longer being made. They do have some nice new ones to choose from:

https://trintec.com/collections/watches

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

FICU wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:03 pm Casio Wave Cepter, analog with a digital window ... not expensive, not over the top or gaudy, sets itself automatically to the atomic clock and is solar powered.
https://www.casio.com/products/watches/ ... vam640d-1a
I've got a similar one, but with hour numbers. Seems to be $130 on amazon. Keeps better time than the $1000 watches, with no need to change the battery or wind it, and doesn't make you look like a tit.

Brantford Beech Boy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brantford Beech Boy »

When I graduated from college and got my first flying job, my mom bought me a fancy citizen watch with an E6B bezel. Lasted 2 months in the North.
I'm on third Timex in 25 years (Gave the second to my kid after only 5 years)

I don't drive a fancy car either....

BBB

"Almost anywhere, almost anytime...worldwide(ish)"
FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

CpnCrunch wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:03 pm Casio Wave Cepter...
I've got a similar one... and doesn't make you look like a tit.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

RocksAndProps
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RocksAndProps »

I wear the Seiko E6B one. I used the E6B once for planning, but it's cool for figuring stuff out like driving time... The real benefit is having local and UTC time.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

People still wear watches?

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

Have a look at Seiko Flightmaster at Creation Watches:
http://www.creationwatches.com/products ... -216/
C
Add about $20 for DHL brokerage on top of GST

They offer other brands at decent prices.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

O&W mirage

It's a valjoux 7750 based watch.

Side note, in my experience a diving bezel comes in much more use for flying than a tiny little e6b.

I'm a automatic watch guy, to me a quartz watch is on the same lines as wearing Velcro shoes.

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

It tells me what time it is. I bought it because it was on sale.
100_0163 (1).jpg
100_0163 (1).jpg (14.98 KiB) Viewed 3144 times
...laura

big_sky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by big_sky »

All the feedback is much appreciated!

I agree having a smartphone and lots of clocks in the cockpit means I don't really need anything fancy to tell the time but I appreciate decent watches with classic style.

Anyone own any IWC timepieces?

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MOAB »

I have had an interest in mechanical watches for a very long time. In my mind people spend money on other things that makes no sense to me but to each there own as long as it doesn't hurt anyone!

I had the IWC MK XVIII, great simple look and very legible!

Traded it for a Tudor as I wanted something I could take anywhere including the beach or fishing and not worry about water. Miss it though!

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Ever since I've started wearing a watch again my phone stays in my pocket where it belongs. I feel naked without one now and I like the quick ability to check the time without fumbling for a phone. I get it, you don't "need" a watch but I'll keep wearing one because I want to not because I have to. It's also a nice conversion starter.

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

Breitling Exospace B55. It's ballin'

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Anyone else ever tire after pulling their phone from their pocket for the hundredth time only to have a mind fck when it’s hopped three time zones? No thanks.

I’ve got a $30 dual time watch. Keeps better time than a $100,000 mechanical watch and I don’t care if it gets damaged or lost. I’ve got a nice non-pilot watch nobody here would be interested in as a weekender.
RocksAndProps wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:32 pm I wear the Seiko E6B one. I used the E6B once for planning, but it's cool for figuring stuff out like driving time...

Just look at your speedometer. City driving is useless, but at highway speeds the MPH scale roughly equals minutes next to km/h scale for total distance. Move the decimal point for longer trips.

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

TIMEX EXPEDITION.....

Return to “General Comments”