A320 Type Rating Requirement

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Peachtrees
Rank 0
Rank 0

A320 Type Rating Requirement

Post by Peachtrees »

I'm a Canadian, recent CPL MIFR with about 320 TT (100PIC) in a Cessna 172 and Piper PA44, and passed IATRA.

EASA requirement for A320 includes ATPL theory (written ATPL in Canada). Does any one know that I can use IATRA instead of written ATPL for the EASA type rating?
How about FAA approved Type Rating, does FAA require Frozen ATPL for A320 TR?
Thanks in advance..
---------- ADS -----------

Peachtrees
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: A320 Type Rating Requirement

Post by Peachtrees »

Since I only have 320 hr or so, I'm way far off to write ATPL written. Is there an alternate route for A320 TR ?

DrSpaceman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DrSpaceman »

There’s an easy trick, it’s also the cheapest method.

You build your hours normally, by flying smaller airplanes, and then when you eventually qualify, a company will hire you and pay for your rating!! Isn’t that great?

Peachtrees
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Peachtrees »

gezz..Why didn't I think of that earlier??? easy peasy lemon squeezy. I only need about 90,000CA$ to do a cross country trip around the globe :D

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

uhm..... I'm PRETTY sure he doesn't mean, pay for the flying yourself for the "You build your hours normally, by flying smaller airplanes". What he means is fly smaller gigs, survey, skydiving, charter etc... to build up your hours, then move up the ladder in the industry to regional or something comparable. And eventually you'll get to that shiny Airbus.

As for the Type Rating in general, you have the IATRA passed, so as long as you get the Airbus TR done within the next 2 years, you're good to go. Or if you get another type rating done prior, your IATRA remains valid. This is on your Canadian License.

As for the EASA TR, you can't just use your 'Canadian IATRA' to qualify for that. EASA is EASA, TC is TC. EASA is not equals to TC. You would have to convert your license first to an EASA license before anything.... and that's a long _________ road.

I think for the FAA there are no requirements for a TR other than the basic CPL/MIFR. But then again, unless you have your FAA certificates, you can't just to an 'FAA type rating'. You'll have to convert your license first.

But out of curiosity, why the obsession over the A320 TR?

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

Peachtrees wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:53 am Since I only have 320 hr or so, I'm way far off to write ATPL written. Is there an alternate route for A320 TR ?
It's called a 737 and it's called swoop. Good luck!

swoop
The anal sweat that usually results from a long, strenuous workout. It smells like poop, but lacks the color and consistency.
After finishing the 10k, my undershorts were laden with swoop.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Peachtrees wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:36 am I'm a Canadian, recent CPL MIFR with about 320 TT (100PIC) in a Cessna 172 and Piper PA44, and passed IATRA.

EASA requirement for A320 includes ATPL theory (written ATPL in Canada). Does any one know that I can use IATRA instead of written ATPL for the EASA type rating?
How about FAA approved Type Rating, does FAA require Frozen ATPL for A320 TR?
Thanks in advance..

A Canadian written exam is not accepted for EASA, in the same way that an EASA or FAA written exam is not accepted by Transport Canada. The Europeans have a reputation for making aviation complicated and expensive and so you have to sit a total of 14 theory exams (budget about 1000 pounds sterling in fees for the written exams alone). Unless you already hold an Airline Transport Pilot Certificate from a member state, more than 1500 hours on multi-pilot aircraft, have a type rating and more than 500 hours on type, you will be required to complete a formal ground school before being allowed to sit the 14 EASA ATP theory exams. In other words, your ATPL theory that you cite does not meet the EASA requirements.

You can get an FAA Type Rating onto your FAA Private or Commercial Pilot Certificate. All type ratings are done to Airline Transport Pilot Standards, regardless if you are putting the type rating on a Private or Commercial Pilot Certificate. The same type rating will transfer over when you get your FAA Commercial or Airline Transport Pilot Certificate respectively. Neither the FAA nor Transport Canada use the "Frozen ATP" concept.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan

Return to “Flight Training”