Cleared to runway cross an active

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Cleared to runway cross an active

Post by rotorspeed »

You have been authorized to taxi to the runway and use to get there you must cross two taxiways and one Runway your authorization allows you to?
This is question 112 of FTGU. Answer is . Taxi to but hold short of runway in use.
Pstar 3:13 asks same question but says you need clearance to cross other runway.
AS far as I understand If they clear you to runway across an active they will tell you cleared across active or hold short.this question is confusing
---------- ADS -----------

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Cleared to runway cross an active

Post by montado »

Taxi instruction shall include specific instructions to cross any runways. So they may say *westjet 123 runway 35 left taxi golf, cross 29 Charlie cross 26 Charlie, tower short 35 left”. So they authorize or assign a runway however if your route crosses any active or non active runways they will specifically state to cross them or hold short. Many aircraft have taken off or attempted to takeoff incorrect runways, especially parallel ones. This type of terminology should give you a better mental modle of what’s going on because you will specifically look for runways you cross rather than mistakenly line up at the wrong place. I think it was in the states they used to omit this until Lexington RJ crash, if I remember correctly that was the catalyst in clearly Specifying to cross runways in a taxi clearance.

Vico56
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Vico56 »

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A346Dude »

You need specific clearance to cross or enter any runway. Ground will almost never authorize you to enter the runway you will be departing from with the initial taxi clearance, but they may authorize you to cross all runways on the way there. If you are instructed to hold short of a runway, any taxi instructions between that runway and your runway of departure will be withheld until clearance to cross is granted.

Don't worry about what the active runway is, it doesn't change anything. Whenever you approach any runway, ask yourself if you have been given explicit permission to cross, taxi on, line up on, or takeoff from it. If you have not, DO NOT ENTER IT.

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorspeed »

I totally understand that ground will either clear you or tell you to hold short of crossing a runway, so this question makes no sense but it is a question in the book

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorspeed »

This is question 3:13 pstar
pilot is cleared to taxi to the runway in use without a hold short clearance. To get there, the aircraft must cross two taxiways and one runway. This authorizes the pilot to taxi to.
Answer is need permission to cross other runway. What gives if this question is on test

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A346Dude »

I don't understand the question or answer. Either it's a bad question or just wrong, or you haven't explained it properly.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

*Face palm* when our realize half the questions on your exam feel like more of a test of your litierary skill than your technical knowledge.-anyone who has taken a TC or driver licensing exam.

These go right up there with “on a two lane highway do you drive: to the left, the centre or to the right?” Answer is the centre BTW yes obviously you drive in the centre of your lane. Anyways I got that one wrong and I’m still angry 40 years later. Hahaha

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

montado wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:05 am These go right up there with “on a two lane highway do you drive: to the left, the centre or to the right?” Answer is the centre BTW yes obviously you drive in the centre of your lane. Anyways I got that one wrong and I’m still angry 40 years later. Hahaha
Even TC isn't quite that evil. I find most of their questions pretty straightforward...if you read the question properly and know your stuff, there shouldn't generally be much of a problem.

Return to “Flight Training”