Talk of strike/walkout?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

snowcone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Talk of strike/walkout?

Post by snowcone »

I work for a 705 operator in Alberta, none of the main branded airlines.

Word on the flight deck is that things are going so bad between the pilots and the company at west jet that there is talk of a strike or walk out? Not even sure if that is legal really.

Also rumours floating around that there will be no upgrades for at least 1 year.

Is there any truth to these rumours?
---------- ADS -----------

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Talk of strike/walkout?

Post by Boreas »

Good! They should.

George Taylor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by George Taylor »

A little early for a strike. But trust me NO illegal action will take place. What a sad state of affairs. This place was awesome not that long ago. All this from one little orange man.

3down&loct
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 3down&loct »

Unless CIRB orders cooling off period because "lack of bargaining in good faith" I do not believe they can strike nor work to rule.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

3down&loct wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:29 pm Unless CIRB orders cooling off period because "lack of bargaining in good faith" I do not believe they can strike nor work to rule.
Why wouldn't they be able to work to rule? Isn't that literally what everyone should be doing anyways :?:

If you have a contrat, stick with it. If the company can't operate by work to rule, change the rules/contract.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

snowcone wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:30 pm I work for a 705 operator in Alberta, none of the main branded airlines.

Word on the flight deck is that things are going so bad between the pilots and the company at west jet that there is talk of a strike or walk out? Not even sure if that is legal really.

Also rumours floating around that there will be no upgrades for at least 1 year.

Is there any truth to these rumours?
To answer your question...no. No truth to those rumors. Way too early for that. As for upgrades etc...we'll seems like nothing is happening until late 2018 for the 787 arrival.

Rupert.Pupkin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Rupert.Pupkin »

I want to hear NewCommercialPilots point of view on this. If he doesn't have his tail between his legs anymore.

Snagmaster E
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Snagmaster E »

Rupert.Pupkin wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:30 pm I want to hear NewCommercialPilots point of view on this. If he doesn't have his tail between his legs anymore.
C516C030-DC83-4893-A30E-BA163851AD4C.png
C516C030-DC83-4893-A30E-BA163851AD4C.png (14.01 KiB) Viewed 4962 times

Money, wish I had it...
Rupert.Pupkin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Rupert.Pupkin »

Snagmaster E wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:51 pm
Rupert.Pupkin wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:30 pm I want to hear NewCommercialPilots point of view on this. If he doesn't have his tail between his legs anymore.
No troll here! Just trying to be funny. I guess I’m not.

NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NewCommercialPilot »

Lol no tail between my legs here!

I've been very busy working on my WingNut Airspeed Indicator system. After the testing in California two weeks ago I'm confident of the model so now I'm working on the display aspect. The LED strips were okay, but the next step is to get the HUD working.

So far, I have programmed an Android app and this afternoon I will get my first chance to side load it into the Moverio BT-300 Augmented Reality glasses that will serve as the HUD platform. I'll report back on that in the next few days.

Once that phase is complete (app implementation) I will have to work on the problem of mating the BT-300 with a helmet. No small feat, as it has to be safe for skydiving/wingsuiting and still be functional. Hopefully I can have a working prototype in time for the 2018 Wide Open Wingsuit Series which starts in April.

Regarding the thread at hand, I haven't heard of any strike or industrial action, but you can guarantee I'll be crossing the picket line and proudly earning the scab moniker.

GS isn't to blame for not having a workable agreement giving access to the Swoop flight deck. That's on everyone who voted ALPA in.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

NewCommercialPilot wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:16 am
GS isn't to blame for not having a workable agreement giving access to the Swoop flight deck. That's on everyone who voted ALPA in.
Actually everyone does have access to the flight deck at Swoop, INCLUDING YOU!!!! put your wallet where you mouth is and sign up on the 2 year LOA.

Don't worry I know you won't answer this question as you only come to troll....

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

NewCommercialPilot wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:16 am Lol no tail between my legs here!

I've been very busy working on my WingNut Airspeed Indicator system. After the testing in California two weeks ago I'm confident of the model so now I'm working on the display aspect. The LED strips were okay, but the next step is to get the HUD working.

So far, I have programmed an Android app and this afternoon I will get my first chance to side load it into the Moverio BT-300 Augmented Reality glasses that will serve as the HUD platform. I'll report back on that in the next few days.

Once that phase is complete (app implementation) I will have to work on the problem of mating the BT-300 with a helmet. No small feat, as it has to be safe for skydiving/wingsuiting and still be functional. Hopefully I can have a working prototype in time for the 2018 Wide Open Wingsuit Series which starts in April.
I got chirped in the watch thread for saying what car I drive. This is on a whole other level....

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

NewCommercialPilot wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:16 am Regarding the thread at hand, I haven't heard of any strike or industrial action, but you can guarantee I'll be crossing the picket line and proudly earning the scab moniker.
NCP,

I'm just curious, let's say for some reason you're accused of something or you have some medical issue that needs to be sorted out. Do you think that the company will reciprocate your goodwill and cut you a break? Who do you think will come to your defense after you've cut up your ALPA card?

I really don't care less what you think of unions but right now, the majority of your colleagues wish to be represented by ALPA. Perhaps you should have some respect for your colleagues wishes. No one is asking you to walk around with an ALPA pin or volunteer on a committee, but the least you can do is avoid beaking off on a public forum.

boeingguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by boeingguy »

NCP,

You should take the LOA and work in the non union paradise you so desire at Swoop.

This is your big chance of being a Swoopster Day Oner legend.

BG

Snagmaster E
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Snagmaster E »

Rupert.Pupkin wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:35 pm
Snagmaster E wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:51 pm
No troll here! Just trying to be funny. I guess I’m not.
Nah, wasn’t referring to you, I meant NCP.

Money, wish I had it...
Rupert.Pupkin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Rupert.Pupkin »

NewCommercialPilot wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:16 am Lol no tail between my legs here!

Regarding the thread at hand, I haven't heard of any strike or industrial action, but you can guarantee I'll be crossing the picket line and proudly earning the scab moniker.

You’re FO book off rate must be out of this world. It’s actually pathetic you won’t stand with your brothers.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Rupert.Pupkin wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:31 am You’re FO book off rate must be out of this world. It’s actually pathetic you won’t stand with your brothers.
See that's the irony. NCP is actually quite a pleasure to fly with, but give him an internet connection, and well, you see what happens...

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

You mean it's actually the real guy? I always thought it was someone to be pretending someone else in order to assassinate their character. If a senior Captain at WestJet actually behaves like this it would be pretty shocking.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

chicken or the egg comment here. I didn't want a union, but I, like a lot of us felt we had no choice. So here we are.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.

Return to “WestJet”