FLYGTA Rumors

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

FltLvl190
Rank 0
Rank 0

FLYGTA Rumors

Post by FltLvl190 »

So I have heard two rumors, and would like verification.

1) Did one of there ho's have an engine fire?

2) Are they going under? Been hearing they are planning on selling all their office shit, aircraft, parts inventory etc?
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: FLYGTA Rumors

Post by photofly »

They shut down one engine immediately after takeoff and landed three minutes later, that much is in a CADOR, so no secret. Well done to the crew, from what I hear. As to the rest, no idea.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

CADORs reference please.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Goshawk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Goshawk »

trey kule wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:12 pm CADORs reference please.
CADORS Number: 2018O0215

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/c ... d2018O0215

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Thanks Goshawk

Accident speculation:
kgams
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kgams »

photofly wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:04 pm They shut down one engine immediately after takeoff and landed three minutes later, that much is in a CADOR, so no secret. Well done to the crew, from what I hear. As to the rest, no idea.
photofly, the CADOR doesn't say engine was shutdown, it says there was an engine issue.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

You're right!

Perhaps it wasn't shut down after all.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
172_Captain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172_Captain »

The engine was shut down. It was a blown turbo. I talked to the pilot involved

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Why would you shut down the engine for a blown turbo? It still makes plenty of power, somewhere around 70% I believe.

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

i guess it depends where all the heat is going...

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

goingnowherefast wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:19 pm Why would you shut down the engine for a blown turbo? It still makes plenty of power, somewhere around 70% I believe.
I mean, why did they even need to RTB? With 71.2% power available they should have completed the flight, obviously.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Why would you shut down the engine for a blown turbo? It still makes plenty of power, somewhere around 70% I believe.

It is a very difficult call. It might be something simple like aconnector broken, or it could be burning through the spar.

Better to get back on the ground ASAP and have it looked at.
Flight Safety’s recommendation is to shut down, as if it is going through the spar it apparently takes about 45 sec to burn through to failure.

Accident speculation:
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

goingnowherefast wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:19 pm Why would you shut down the engine for a blown turbo? It still makes plenty of power, somewhere around 70% I believe.
True, but you will also -most likely- be loosing a ton of oil, which creates a lot of smoke. Not easy to determine at that point if it is a blown turbo or if your engine is on fire. If it happens just after take-off, probably with low time pilots as well, I'd probably would have shut it down as well.

From an economic's point of view: shutting down might aslo save the engine.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

FltLvl190 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:02 pm So I have heard two rumors, and would like verification.

1) Did one of there ho's have an engine fire?

2) Are they going under? Been hearing they are planning on selling all their office shit, aircraft, parts inventory etc?
PDW will buy them out.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:45 am
I mean, why did they even need to RTB? With 71.2% power available they should have completed the flight, obviously.
I actually know of at least one company that did exactly that. Including 2 take-offs. It was not a good day :roll:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

The smoke/oil would be going out the exhaust and not visible from the cockpit. Definitely take it back to land at the nearest airport, but it is a Navajo, not the best single engine reputation. If it's still making power and not on fire, leave it running.

Also, it's not going to burn through the spar in 45 seconds, there's a firewall in the way. Plus the whole engine compartment is mounted above the wing. You might toast some stuff in the wing lockers AFTER the firewall is compromised, but that's it.

I will also say this. They were two low time pilots in a Navajo, experiencing an abnormal scenario, with or without visible troubling signs from an engine. Whatever they did clearly worked as everybody is alive and well with the airplane still intact.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

How many arm chair quarterbacks remember the NavAir Navajo on departure out of Comox? A blown gasket spewed oil on the turbo and the crew turned back to land. They did not make it.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

The smoke/oil would be going out the exhaust and not visible from the cockpit. Definitely take it back to land at the nearest airport, but it is a Navajo, not the best single engine reputation. If it's still making power and not on fire, leave it running.

Also, it's not going to burn through the spar in 45 seconds, there's a firewall in the way. Plus the whole engine compartment is mounted above the wing. You might toast some stuff in the wing lockers AFTER the firewall is compromised, but that's it.
You do not know about that of which you speak.
I
1. Not withstanding the need to get back on the ground ASAP, a Navajo flies fine on one engine...if you have a properly trained and competent pilot.

2.if the turbo charger become disconnected it is like a super blowtorch, wiser people than you say 45 seconds. Dont wait around to find out if they are correct, even if you and others need to read about an accident to learn

3. Lastly, there is avery visable grating you can see right into the turbo from the cockpit. Your claim that it is not going to be visible makes me wonder if you have ever flown a ho, as Indont know a ho pilot who was not mesmerized by the glowing turbo at night.

Btw...some of those wing lockers are nacelle tanks...just sayin...

Anytype of engine issue, get it back on the ground. Diagnosising and engine issue while flying is foolish. If even a hint of fire, shut it down, and get the fuel off to that engine..
Free advice..take it for what its worth....or wait until you can get a fresh accident if that is the only way you learn

Accident speculation:
Addicted4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Addicted4life »

I have to agree 100% with Trey Kule on this one. I am graduate of Flight Safety's Navajo pilot course and I am an AME with years working on the "Ho". I have seen the effects in pictures, first hand, and actually talked with the lead Navajo production engineer from Piper about this very subject. If you suspect any turbo or exhaust or fuel or fire issues land ASAP. If you fly a navajo please heed this advise. Hopefully it will end like this event did. Many have not. Please all Navajo pilots have a close look through those access grates on the nacelles on walk around at the Turbo and all visible connections for anything out of the ordinary.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:45 am
Trusting you're not serious? Complete the flight?

Likely sarcasm but on this site one never knows. Sure that's been done, too. :roll:

Return to “General Comments”