FLYGTA Rumors

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: FLYGTA Rumors

Post by 2112 »

digits_ wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:09 am I actually know of at least one company that did exactly that. Including 2 take-offs. It was not a good day
I think I know that place too, did the same pilot later crash said plane while attempting a T/O on empty outboards? Guessing it's the same guy that tried to get me to fly with a known oil leak? If someone want's you to fly with a blown turbo or oil pissing out of a 540 onto the turbo then it's time to seek new employment.
---------- ADS -----------

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:25 pm
photofly wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:45 am
goingnowherefast wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:19 pm Why would you shut down the engine for a blown turbo? It still makes plenty of power, somewhere around 70% I believe.
I mean, why did they even need to RTB? With 71.2% power available they should have completed the flight, obviously.
Trusting you're not serious? Complete the flight?

Likely sarcasm but on this site one never knows. Sure that's been done, too. :roll:
Quite certain that was sarcasm. Any Navajo with an engine problem belongs on the ground ASAP.

Trey, have you ever flown a Navajo at gross on a hot day? Also, that grate looks at the exhaust manifold, before the turbo. During the day, it's pretty dark in there and you won't see anything through the grate anyway.

You say don't diagnose the engine problem in the air, yet you are diagnosing a turbo plumbing failure and shutting off an engine. As far as you can likely tell, it just isn't making proper manifold pressure. Now yes, if there is any hint of a fire, follow the checklist and shut it off.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:25 pm
photofly wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:45 am
goingnowherefast wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:19 pm Why would you shut down the engine for a blown turbo? It still makes plenty of power, somewhere around 70% I believe.
I mean, why did they even need to RTB? With 71.2% power available they should have completed the flight, obviously.
Trusting you're not serious? Complete the flight?

Likely sarcasm but on this site one never knows. Sure that's been done, too. :roll:
No, no, I’m quite serious. I ran the equations and calculate they had 71.2234% of rated power available.Plenty to complete the flight.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Trey, have you ever flown a Navajo at gross on a hot day?

Yes.
Though I expect you are actually referring to high density altitude take offs, and not just hot days. And yes to that as well.

As to the assertion I diagnose in the air, I believe that is what is referred to as a logical fallacy.
I think what we need to do here is have a new accident so everyone can respectfully speculate and, of course learn. No sense in learning from the accident history of the type from the past accidents...that’s no fun at all.

Btw. I ran Photo’s numbers again , and I can confirm them correct. So to summarize the wisdom of the crowd , an engine failure on a ho is a non event. No need to return to land, and the problem can be looked at during the next maintenance event. As to fire...,heck,,,fires are for barbeques, exhaust connections never fail, and after 1 hour of riding around in the right seat of a navajo one can learn to accurately determine the severity of the situation..not that it matters. No need to land.

Btw. Kudos to the crew that ignored the wisdom here and got the little rascal back on the ground. Regardless of what the problem was...

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
kgams
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kgams »

The fact anyone would consider continuing a flight with an engine issue rather than return to land on the perfectly good runway directly behind you boggles my mind.

dlongo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dlongo »

Rumor has it: It is like the 4th engine failure in 1 year, they had 2 under their old AOC. Spoke with one of the boys that use to work for them: Guys skimp on maintenance, don't like stocking spare parts or investing in preventing maintenance because they are "local". They had a door fall off back last year during loading, even after technicians warned them months ahead of cracks in the hinges. Pilots couldn't believe it. It is a can of worms if you think about it and it is a matter of time before someone gets killed, on their none profitable routes. Another typical 703 running on borrowed time thinking they are better then others. They can't make it work IFR, and can't afford good gear. Marc Garneau will shut them down first high profile mistake they make.

dlongo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dlongo »

trey kule wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:12 pm CADORs reference please.
http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/C ... 26cmkxt%3d

Return to “General Comments”