A President’s Message and a must read

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CdnPilotsalary
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: A President’s Message and a must read

Post by CdnPilotsalary »

SuperchargedRS wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:00 am Oh boy, you actually think a degree indicates intelligence? I mean it proves you're not like a paint chip eating idiot, but that's about it, if you have the money and the time and put in a half arse effort you can get about any degree you want.

As for the "peer review" yeah those "peers" are 90% just part of the self licking ice cream cone of education, they have never done anything outside of academia, they are talking reviewing ideas that they only know about from books and from their professors who probably never actually worked the said field ether.

I'll take the word of a man who's actually done the work with a "lesser" degree over that of a double PHD academic.

BTW some of the most comfy living people I know went to 2 year or under trade school and started their own business, one guy has like 8-10 welding trucks rolling around job sites, he spot checks their work, bids jobs, but spends most of his time skydiving, tossing money around and living life up, like me he has a few toys, nice house, all paid for free and clear, most of the PHDs I know around here are renters.
In my field (computer science), most professors had industry partnerships, worked as consultants in the industry, and so on. I'm not sure where you're getting this information.

When young kids read this forum, possibly for guidance, are we wanting to leave the impression that post-secondary education is useless? Is that what you would teach your children?
The fact remains, regardless of whether you believe it to be right or wrong, that Air Canada, the Canadian military, and every major U.S. airline believes that pilots should have a university education.
---------- ADS -----------

CdnPilotsalary
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CdnPilotsalary »

Cat Driver wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:00 pm Isn't that amazing.

Lets see what the educated members of this group have to say about how I could possibly been successful without a degree. :prayer:
I never claimed that a degree was a prerequisite to being successful. In fact, I know your reputation in this industry quite well and I'm not sure I'll ever be as successful as you. However, things have changed since you've started, Cat Driver. The truth is that a pilot starting today, with the major airlines as his or her goal, is at a significant disadvantage without a college or university education. Recently, a Delta recruiter was asked if the airline would ever drop their degree requirement. Their response? "Never". You can look at the Air Canada forums right now and read about all the unfortunate pilots who were PFO'd in this latest PML as their degree-holding colleagues with fewer hours got an offer. Will that change? Who knows. But I doubt it, at least for the foreseeable future.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

CdnPilotsalary wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:15 pm
Cat Driver wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:00 pm Isn't that amazing.

Lets see what the educated members of this group have to say about how I could possibly been successful without a degree. :prayer:
I never claimed that a degree was a prerequisite to being successful. In fact, I know your reputation in this industry quite well and I'm not sure I'll ever be as successful as you. However, things have changed since you've started, Cat Driver. The truth is that a pilot starting today, with the major airlines as his or her goal, is at a significant disadvantage without a college or university education. Recently, a Delta recruiter was asked if the airline would ever drop their degree requirement. Their response? "Never". You can look at the Air Canada forums right now and read about all the unfortunate pilots who were PFO'd in this latest PML as their degree-holding colleagues with fewer hours got an offer. Will that change? Who knows. But I doubt it, at least for the foreseeable future.

Many have, and the rest will follow with the pilot pay shortage.

Tail-Chaser wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:43 pm Jesus christ. This thread was going so well before it diverged into a dick measuring contest riddled with grammar and spelling errors.
What grammar and spelling errors on a message board, maybe you're on the wrong board, perhaps a spelling board would be better for you, also perhaps you have tiny hands, I'm a male and have larger hands, so typing on a iPhone isn't always easy, forgive me if I lack your feminine features or care for things which in this setting don't mean a damn.

CdnPilotsalary wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:09 pm
SuperchargedRS wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:00 am Oh boy, you actually think a degree indicates intelligence? I mean it proves you're not like a paint chip eating idiot, but that's about it, if you have the money and the time and put in a half arse effort you can get about any degree you want.

As for the "peer review" yeah those "peers" are 90% just part of the self licking ice cream cone of education, they have never done anything outside of academia, they are talking reviewing ideas that they only know about from books and from their professors who probably never actually worked the said field ether.

I'll take the word of a man who's actually done the work with a "lesser" degree over that of a double PHD academic.

BTW some of the most comfy living people I know went to 2 year or under trade school and started their own business, one guy has like 8-10 welding trucks rolling around job sites, he spot checks their work, bids jobs, but spends most of his time skydiving, tossing money around and living life up, like me he has a few toys, nice house, all paid for free and clear, most of the PHDs I know around here are renters.
In my field (computer science), most professors had industry partnerships, worked as consultants in the industry, and so on. I'm not sure where you're getting this information.

When young kids read this forum, possibly for guidance, are we wanting to leave the impression that post-secondary education is useless? Is that what you would teach your children?
The fact remains, regardless of whether you believe it to be right or wrong, that Air Canada, the Canadian military, and every major U.S. airline believes that pilots should have a university education.

I REALLY hope kids do read this, I NEVER said I was against education, I just think it's an investment and needs to demonstrate a good return. I also think it's straight stupid to think that a for profit school is the only place one can get a education, and looking down on the trades is very very foolish, especially if you want to lay it out on the table and measure, because most academics will come up quite short.

Last edited by SuperchargedRS on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

I am well aware that companies like Air Canada give points for a degree but I personally have never had any desire to fly for an airline for the simple reason it is not the kind of flying I would want to do, it is far to structured in the paint by numbers mindset and far to boring.

By the way I learned I did not like airline flying from having done it and also was in management in airline flying.

For sure if you make it to command in a large airline the pay is quite good and generally speaking so is the security of employment.

However I personally would be bored to death if that was what I had to do day after day.

Conversely there are other kinds of flying that also pays very well and the security is as good as the services you offer.

Tail-Chaser
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tail-Chaser »

SuperchargedRS wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:20 pm
What grammar and spelling errors on a message board, maybe you're on the wrong board, perhaps a spelling board would be better for you, also perhaps you have tiny hands, I'm a male and have larger hands, so typing on a iPhone isn't always easy, forgive me if I lack your feminine features or care for things which in this setting don't mean a damn.
Such wit.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

Hi have a degree in skibumology... does that count for extra points?

I'm sure it has made me a better pilot in my 20+ years of flying machines.

Return to “General Comments”