Is it worth it anymore? ( salaries ?)

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Is it worth it anymore? ( salaries ?)

Post by Black_Tusk »

If you want to be successful in this industry, you need to do more than sit at home and wait for a phone call. Hitting the road, making connections and networking is by far the best way to progress yourself in this job. Every job interview I've ever had was thanks to a connection.
---------- ADS -----------

Tanker299
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tanker299 »

Your right that may infer that. I personally never enjoyed flying a bus. I hated the terminal even more and commuting with a crash pad... F that ( living with a bunch of old men on there 2nd or 3rd wife jumping into little bunk beds and not cleaning up after themselves was great picture of the future that may lay ahead). The only way I could go back is if my pairing could start in my home city and end there. Even if it was deadheads both ways. Personally would rather not be forced to do transboder, never had a problem but America scares me right now. Overcrowded dirty buildings where people lose there ability to be civil. You can feel the tension and hotels.... my bed is way better.

Is it worth it compared to years ago. Absolutely and if you like the lifestyle you can have a long career. Not many young people getting out of school can get a job they could be at for 40 years. Really have not seen this since the 70s when CP air hired right out of schools. I got to meet a few of those guys on my travels and for most it was not worth it, 40 years is a long time to be at one place. Some would just show up at the float bases after retiring and want a job. But being 50-60 years old they could not do the manual labour required or would be unwilling. But were quick to say this is awesome flying don't give it up to quickly if at all.

Would I like the opportunity to have been able to use this system how it is, yes. This is where I feel the real opportunity lies. Get some supervised time, build a base of skills then move over into a single pilot gig in a light aircraft going to remote places or some two crew gravel op. Have a leg to stand on when you get there. Not saying you won't have to do some extra duties but you might not have to do the washes the bosses car or baby sit the kids type BS work. If you find a place that give you a good lifestyle then you stay and if not you can go back to the 705 world with a deeper well of knowledge and experience. Then when you retire you don't need to be like what if I had tried that. I'm glad I dipped my toe into the airline sea but it was just not for me.

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Montado, where in the Country do you work? I'm not saying you screwed up, or did anything wrong, but 7 years and making 40k, somethings up.
7 Years, depending on progression should have you in the left seat of a 704, or at least driving a caravan single pilot if the airline wasn't/isn't your gig. Most Metro/1900/kingair/pilatus captains start around 55-60K, Caravan around 60K. Even left seat Navajo would have to make more than 40? (i hope?) I also gave up pay for lifestyle, 3 kids later, and I never made less than 40k for more than 1 or 2 years... (passing an upgrade to keep the schedule for said kids...)

I guess I should write something here.
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

With how much the stock market has fluctuated this week I’d say no one knows. Another financial recession could lead to 2 years of no one hiring

Return to “Employment Forum”