Why would a scheduled air service be flying VFR in this weather?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Why would a scheduled air service be flying VFR in this weather?

Post by CpnCrunch »

4SM BR VCFG SCT008 BKN015 OVC050

EDIT: While it looks potentially VFR, the problem was that there was an overcast layer at 800ft just beyond the airport, in their flight path (presumably this was the SCT, which can mean up to half the sky is overcast...in this case it was in their flight path and was visible from the airport). The low overcast layer was obscuring low hills, and they were flying through the bottom of this overcast layer in and out of the ragged ceiling.

They took off in this weather in a Navajo, in and out of cloud, and flew VFR at 2000ft. Clouds at destination were higher (FEW007 FEW030 BKN054) but still seems a somewhat odd decision to be flying VFR in these conditions to save a few minutes of time when you have fare paying passengers. I don't think this is a known shitty operator, but it's sometimes hard to keep track.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by CpnCrunch on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
dogfood
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Why would a scheduled air service be flying VFR in this weather?

Post by dogfood »

What was the temperature maybe he didn't want to pick up ice. Maybe it was just a quick flight sometimes it's easier to just stay under it

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

Why wouldn't they, it was legal VFR. Were you a passenger, or watching from the ground? BKN015 is 1500 AGL, and if they flew at 2000 ASL, as long as the ground level is at least 500 ASL, that altitude would have been below the ceiling, not to mention the ceiling measurement is not always exactly accurate. Maybe they didn't have enough fuel for IFR, and maybe they couldn't take enough and be under MTOW.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't see anything wrong with going VFR when it's 1500 and 4. This is a far cry from the 300 and 1 that some operators can do by ops spec, which was discussed here ad nauseum a while back!

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

dogfood wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:56 am What was the temperature maybe he didn't want to pick up ice. Maybe it was just a quick flight sometimes it's easier to just stay under it
Mixed moderate icing above the freezing level (7500ft). If IFR they would have been at 5000ft for an 11 min flight (perhaps 2-4 mins longer if IFR). You could do that safely IFR in a 172 never mind a Navajo.

dogfood
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dogfood »

If it was a 10 min flight I'd be questioning why they went ifr

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

NotDirty! wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:59 am it was legal VFR.
No it wasn't. Read my original post again and you'll see they definitely weren't VFR.
watching from the ground?
Yes.
BKN015 is 1500 AGL, and if they flew at 2000 ASL, as long as the ground level is at least 500 ASL, that altitude would have been below the ceiling, not to mention the ceiling measurement is not always exactly accurate. Maybe they didn't have enough fuel for IFR, and maybe they couldn't take enough and be under MTOW.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't see anything wrong with going VFR when it's 1500 and 4. This is a far cry from the 300 and 1 that some operators can do by ops spec, which was discussed here ad nauseum a while back!
It was broken at 1600ASL. I saw them climbing or level at 1000ASL in an out of cloud 2 mins after takeoff. There was fog below them up to about 400ft, and they were flying in and out of light cloud at 1000ft (presumably the scattered stuff).

BeaverDreamer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeaverDreamer »

Is popping a few "light clouds" VFR really more dangerous than hard IMC just because you didn't file? Often on days with wx similar to what you describe it's much easier to stay VFR below the true ceiling and even inside the lower wisps you can still see ground below and in front. I'd rather pop through them than swerve all over the place with a ho full of pax. All assuming the "IMC" is a few seconds max of course which it often is in these conditions, and it is 100% clear a return to VMC is imminent.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

BeaverDreamer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:54 am Is popping a few "light clouds" VFR really more dangerous than hard IMC just because you didn't file? Often on days with wx similar to what you describe it's much easier to stay VFR below the true ceiling and even inside the lower wisps you can still see ground below and in front. I'd rather pop through them than swerve all over the place with a ho full of pax. All assuming the "IMC" is a few seconds max of course which it often is in these conditions, and it is 100% clear a return to VMC is imminent.
It wouldn't have been "HARD" IFR. In fact they could have filed at 3000ft and likely just been in the clouds for a few mins IFR, rather than flying through the "wisps" VFR. The reason they did it was to save time, which is worrying for me as a potential passenger.

I'm not sure if you fly IFR, but there is never any "swerving all over the place" if you're doing it right.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

That was actually the METAR 30 mins before they took off. The METAR 30 mins after takeoff was "1 1/2SM BR VCFG OVC007". When they took off that 700ft layer was somewhere between scattered and overcast, and was obscuring the tops of the nearby hills (which they were flying alongside). Definitely not little wisps.

dogfood
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dogfood »

Even with that its still vfr I fly 300-1 all the time it ain't that bad

BeaverDreamer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeaverDreamer »

CpnCrunch wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:14 am
BeaverDreamer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:54 am Is popping a few "light clouds" VFR really more dangerous than hard IMC just because you didn't file? Often on days with wx similar to what you describe it's much easier to stay VFR below the true ceiling and even inside the lower wisps you can still see ground below and in front. I'd rather pop through them than swerve all over the place with a ho full of pax. All assuming the "IMC" is a few seconds max of course which it often is in these conditions, and it is 100% clear a return to VMC is imminent.
It wouldn't have been "HARD" IFR. In fact they could have filed at 3000ft and likely just been in the clouds for a few mins IFR, rather than flying through the "wisps" VFR. The reason they did it was to save time, which is worrying for me as a potential passenger.

I'm not sure if you fly IFR, but there is never any "swerving all over the place" if you're doing it right.
I was referring to going VFR and swerving around the wisps as opposed to just popping through them if they're thin/isolated. With that updated METAR it changes things a bit, at 1.5 I would likely file IFR. With the METARs you initially posted for destination and arrival I probably would have gone VFR for such a short trip but it is impossible to say for sure without having been there.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

dogfood wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:06 am If it was a 10 min flight I'd be questioning why they went ifr

That.

I don't see a problem ether, unless this was a 500nm night flight or some something.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

dogfood wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:07 pm Even with that its still vfr I fly 300-1 all the time it ain't that bad
By definition it's not VFR if you're actually in the clouds.

I notice there was a SPECI just after takeoff. Here is the wx:

SPECI .... 071545Z VRB02KT 1 1/2SM BR VCFG OVC007 06/06 A3032
RMK SF8 CIG RAG SLP269=
METAR .... 071500Z 00000KT 4SM BR VCFG SCT008 BKN015 OVC050
06/06 A3032 RMK SF3SC2SC3 SLP269=

Takeoff was at 1533, and conditions were similar to the SPECI. Looks like they had a look at the METAR, thought it looked ok, and didn't realise conditions had deteriorated.

dpm
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dpm »

OK with freight; not OK (morally, at least) with non-pilot pax. They're not capable of understanding the significantly-elevated risk of a flight like this vs other kinds of scheduled operations, even if it will usually turn out OK. A non-crew pilot passenger can evaluate for herself, and give informed consent to going along.

@CYRO
Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

dpm wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:56 pm OK with freight; not OK (morally, at least) with non-pilot pax. They're not capable of understanding the significantly-elevated risk of a flight like this vs other kinds of scheduled operations, even if it will usually turn out OK. A non-crew pilot passenger can evaluate for herself, and give informed consent to going along.
Makes no difference to me what is behind the cockpit.

The most valuable thing on board, is me.

Fly the same way, to the same limits, everytime.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Donald wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:04 pm
dpm wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:56 pm OK with freight; not OK (morally, at least) with non-pilot pax. They're not capable of understanding the significantly-elevated risk of a flight like this vs other kinds of scheduled operations, even if it will usually turn out OK. A non-crew pilot passenger can evaluate for herself, and give informed consent to going along.
Makes no difference to me what is behind the cockpit.

The most valuable thing on board, is me.

Fly the same way, to the same limits, everytime.
^That

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Spoke to CP who spoke to captain. He leveled off at 800ft shortly after takeoff due to the cloud, then climbed to 1500 shortly after and had ground in sight at all times. (I was more concerned about hitting the obscured hills). CP says this captain is consciencious about safety.

I don't know what the pilot saw out the window, but I didn't think it looked suitable for VFR from the ground and I wouldn't be happy with my family flying VFR in a Navajo in those conditions. Anyway, I've given him my 2c and will leave it at that.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

CpnCrunch wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:38 pm Spoke to CP who spoke to captain. He leveled off at 800ft shortly after takeoff due to the cloud, then climbed to 1500 shortly after and had ground in sight at all times. (I was more concerned about hitting the obscured hills). CP says this captain is consciencious about safety.

I don't know what the pilot saw out the window, but I didn't think it looked suitable for VFR from the ground and I wouldn't be happy with my family flying VFR in a Navajo in those conditions. Anyway, I've given him my 2c and will leave it at that.
His biggest decision making problem that I see was entertaining that line of questioning.

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

What the heck is the point of this post? Are you trying to get someone in trouble? Why are you bothered by it so much if it doesn’t involve you? Maybe call up the carrier and talk to the PIC. I see you did. Wow. Can you tell us why this particular flight struck your nerve so hard? I’d of told the CP to tell you to pound sand.

Last edited by Maynard on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I guess I should write something here.
'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

You "spoke to the CP"? Why?

Return to “General Comments”