Best place for multi IFR training??

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

PittsPilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Best place for multi IFR training??

Post by PittsPilot »

Hello

I am currently a free lance commercial pilot student, which I am almost finished, so I am looking at moving onto the next step in my training aka a multi and IFR rating. I am located in southern Ontario ( about 45 min north of Toronto) and in search of what is the best options to complete this training. Anyone's opinion and experiences are appreciated.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

dodgeram2500
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Best place for multi IFR training??

Post by dodgeram2500 »

When I got my CPL from Confed 10+ years ago, everyone seemed to go to Cornwall for MIFR. http://www.cornwallaviation.com/

shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by shamrock104 »

I would avoid Cornwall, PM me

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

shamrock104 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:56 am I would avoid Cornwall, PM me
Perhaps it's you and not Cornwall?

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Cornwall will have you in and out 2-3 weeks depending on weather.

shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by shamrock104 »

Dont be such a bitch Cpn Crunch lol, maybe it is me, time to see my therapist.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

shamrock104 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:20 pm Dont be such a bitch Cpn Crunch lol, maybe it is me, time to see my therapist.
You're the one who screwed me when I tried to do my night rating with you, and I hear that you have a habit of renting FTU planes to do freelance instruction.

So yes, when you come on here complaining about an FTU that has a good reputation I'll automatically assume that it might be your problem rather than the FTU.

Did you ever become a legit flight instructor?

shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by shamrock104 »

Cpn Crunch, take it easy there little guy. Maybe got out the wrong side of the bed this morning, did we??????

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

CpnCrunch wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:26 am
shamrock104 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:56 am I would avoid Cornwall, PM me
Perhaps it's you and not Cornwall?
Would have to agree

Anon1234
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Anon1234 »

Wow! Well this thread got dramatic real fast. I know some people who have gone through Cornwall and if you want to get the ratings done quick and economically. It's a good place. A bunch of my friends finished in less than a week and for less than $4K. From some stories it sounds like they just train you to pass the flight test they know you'll get. Ie: These 2 exact approaches cause that's all they ever ask. (all places do that to some extent though since it's so expensive per hr).

Bravomike33
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bravomike33 »

Hello,

Cornwall Aviation for your ME IFR

Come with your Inrat Done will be better.

Follow the Syllyabus
Study Everyday and Ask to pratice some cross country planning
Stay with some good classmates as a target. ( group of 3/5 is was good for me )

3 PA44, the maintenance is well done and quick
2 red birds

I did my ME IFR during the Christmas hollyday and the extrem cold. Good experience.
That it!
Peace

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Is the quality of the training good, or is it just a puppy mill? Do they still teach NDBs, procedure turns, etc.

I have no idea myself, but the answers are important.

AppleOTP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AppleOTP »

Did my renewal at cornwall in the redbird. They're all good people, but if you go with a "holier than thou" attitude, they'll pick up on it real quick.

I know 3 porter captains, and two jazz FOs that went there for renewals before they got on at 705s.

The school wouldn't still be in business if they didn't know what they were doing, and Glenn is on staff examiner, no trying to book weeks in advance just to get weathered out.

Nowherefast - to answer your question, I THINK I did an ndb approach back when I got my initial (...~8 years ago?) but they've gone to ILS / RNAV style. Also, it should be noted no more 'step down', it's all constant descent.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

goingnowherefast wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:32 am Is the quality of the training good, or is it just a puppy mill? Do they still teach NDBs, procedure turns, etc.

I have no idea myself, but the answers are important.
Based on rumours: no. Even NDB interceptions are getting rare these days. Not just at Cornwall by the way, other places as well.

Must be interesting to see the medevac captains fly ndb approaches when the gps craps out up north...

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
OneYonge
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by OneYonge »

At cornwall, if you already have a Group 3 IFR rating, you could upgrade to Group 1 MIFR in less than a week..

However, if you don't have any ratings yet...they will not offer the option of getting a Group 3 on a single engine first...then converting to multi....because that would screw up the training and actually cost you more.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

[/quote]

Based on rumours: no. Even NDB interceptions are getting rare these days. Not just at Cornwall by the way, other places as well.

Must be interesting to see the medevac captains fly ndb approaches when the gps craps out up north...
[/quote]

Really? It’s a non event as it should be.

Regards,
TPC

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Yeah, really. We're not breaking out at 200 and 1/2 on an NDB. At least not us, anyways.

If I taught 'real world' IFR the way it is in the real world most would be pretty disappointed. I think I got 1.7 actual this last month and maybe 4 approaches in 14 days of flying.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:06 pm

It is a non event, if you've done it before. If you are used to flying everytying with a GPS overlay or ILS, and then your GPS craps out and you only have an NDB approach available, I'm pretty sure it will be a memorable event. You can divert to a place with an ILS of course, but if you are going to fly the NDB approach, I'd highly recommend you do it at least once before you need it.

To stay within all the limits while tracking an NDB bearing for the first time in your life: interesting.

I've flown with an FO who didn't know how to fly towards an NDB without the GPS. Let alone fly an NDB approach. He had the hours to be a medevac captain if he wanted to. That's scary.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

digits_ wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:36 pm
TeePeeCreeper wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:06 pm

It is a non event, if you've done it before. If you are used to flying everytying with a GPS overlay or ILS, and then your GPS craps out and you only have an NDB approach available, I'm pretty sure it will be a memorable event. You can divert to a place with an ILS of course, but if you are going to fly the NDB approach, I'd highly recommend you do it at least once before you need it.

To stay within all the limits while tracking an NDB bearing for the first time in your life: interesting.

I've flown with an FO who didn't know how to fly towards an NDB without the GPS. Let alone fly an NDB approach. He had the hours to be a medevac captain if he wanted to. That's scary.
Agreed.

Me thinks that until all NDB’s are decommissioned that flying an NDB approach on “raw data” should be taught and that one’s first “encounter” with one be with an instructor or training Captain during initial hire...

All the best,
TPC

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

A close friend of mine told me about his recent experience flying as a medevac FO in Ontario last year. He mentioned that one time they had to do a full procedure NDB approach and the captain was like, "Gee I haven't done one of these in a long time. You want to give it a shot?" ..he was pretty surprised to hear that.

I make it a point to give my students a lot of practice with Full Procedure NDB approaches and the Dreaded DME ARC using the CDFA without the use of the GPS as a reference, plus tracking and holding with an NDB in strong winds both in the aircraft and in the simulator. As I like to say to my students, "If you know how to do the hard thing, you can definitely do the easy thing."

I'm not in Ontario though, so I have no idea what school to recommend, sorry!

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."

Return to “Flight Training”