TSC- Go from 0 to Air Canada in 5 years or less

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

TheSocialChameleon
Rank 2
Rank 2

TSC- Go from 0 to Air Canada in 5 years or less

Post by TheSocialChameleon »

You are considering a career in aviation. You were inspired by a family member who flew or a spoke to pilot on one of your flights as a kid. Soon it's time to apply to college/university and you are thinking of choosing a career that's different from all your friends. You look up at the sky and see a plane and think I'm going to do THAT for the rest of my life. I know you may even have some self doubt as to whether you can pull it off or even afford a flying education. And even if you did all that, would you ever get a job flying big airplanes and make your family proud.

Well let me help you.

What you need is a strategy. Think of it like a GPS, without one you would be driving aimlessly and get lost. These are the proven strategies to work. But, before you move on you must be willing to ignore the naysayers, the people that convince you otherwise (some maybe on this very forum). Alright let's begin.

Complete your basic training first at a flying club, college or university. The important thing is to take it one step at a time. If you worry about a process too far ahead you will cause yourself frustration. The trick is to celebrate each step of the way and move on to the next to stay motivated.

Year 0-2:
Flight Instruct and build 1000 hours flight time. To speed the timeline further I'd suggest getting your instructor rating prior to graduating.

Year 2-3: Work at the 703/704 operation flying small turbo-prop aircraft that usually seat up to 19 people and build another 500 hours flight time. This brings you to 1500 hours which is the Airline Transport Pilot Licence mark. Now your application will be seen by larger operators.

Year 3-5: Work for a regional airline flying medium size turbo-props/jets that usually seat up to 50 people and build an additional 1500 hours. This brings you to a total of 3000 hours total time and have your entrance ticket to a mainline airline. While working for the regionals you would have started an application with the major carriers and possibly even a flow through agreement.

Year 5: Work for a Mainline Carrier flying big jet aircraft that usually seat 100 or passengers. Making more money than your previous flying jobs and flying much safer aircraft.

That's it. Now let me tell you that some will say that this is too simplistic of an advise. The truth is that it is exactly what it should be. A simple roadmap with a lot of work in between. You will find that at each step of the way if you stop and enjoy the view out your window it really does make it fun. If at any step during the above phases you feel discouraged and wonder when you will get to move on. Take a step back and remember all the things you are grateful for. The human brain is a 20,000 year old device. It is looking for ways to constantly find something wrong. That worked well when we were cavemen as it kept us safe from predators. But, doesn't help in the modern world where we literally are living in the best times of any generation ever.

Put the blinders on, Get your time in, Focus on your goals daily. The view is really something from the top.
---------- ADS -----------

Hate me or Like me. Both days I get paid.
Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: TSC- Go from 0 to Air Canada in 5 years or less

Post by Maynard »

It needs editing:

Year 0-1 Instruct until 500-750 TT
Year 1-2 skip 703, work for 704 flying metro/1900
Year 2-3 Fly at Jazz
Year 3-5 Get hired at AC somewhere in there....

I guess I should write something here.
TheSocialChameleon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Maynard wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:16 am It needs editing:

Year 0-1 Instruct until 500-750 TT
Year 1-2 skip 703, work for 704 flying metro/1900
Year 2-3 Fly at Jazz
Year 3-5 Get hired at AC somewhere in there....
Thank you Maynard I agree. The original post has a realistic 'fudge factor' which I think is also important. Cheers!

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

It is good advice, if I can add: Dont over plan the future, remember to enjoy the journey along the way as you meet all kinds of people and actually learn some lessons. I’ve seen guys get way too frustrated trying to plan their future specially when the “timing” isn’t working out.

A reminder that a bit of luck and timing also helps in this industry.

Rule #1: Treat people as you would like to be treated yourself. It’s a small world, what goes around comes around.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

How many different times can you post this?
Just wondering

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Oversimplified.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

TheSocialChameleon wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:58 am
That's it. Now let me tell you that some will say that this is too simplistic of an advise. The truth is that it is exactly what it should be. A simple roadmap with a lot of work in between. You will find that at each step of the way if you stop and enjoy the view out your window it really does make it fun. If at any step during the above phases you feel discouraged and wonder when you will get to move on. Take a step back and remember all the things you are grateful for. The human brain is a 20,000 year old device. It is looking for ways to constantly find something wrong. That worked well when we were cavemen as it kept us safe from predators. But, doesn't help in the modern world where we literally are living in the best times of any generation ever.

Put the blinders on, Get your time in, Focus on your goals daily. The view is really something from the top.
I have to ask, are you at the top? Was this the path you followed? You sound more like a student pilot than an airline pilot.

To use rough numbers, if I've met a thousand airline pilots, at least 900 of them had a similar plan while they finished up their MIFR. Not to say that what you've mapped out is impossible, things today are certainly moving well, but that plan has maybe been true for 10 of those 1000 pilots.

I think you're setting young pilots up for disappointment with these posts, the airline industry is full of ups and downs, 704 carriers aren't always desperate for 1000 hour instructors, regional airlines have only hired 1500 hour pilots in two periods in the 30 years they've existed in Canada, and 3000 hours is well below what most new hire airline pilots walk in the door with.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

"Get a job flying big airplane and make your family proud".

Sounds like you're about 18. With all the answers.

And this is the dumbest reason of all to ever do anything. If I'd listened to my family I'd still be in a dead end job.

Choose your career carefully.

TheSocialChameleon
Rank 2
Rank 2

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:34 pm "Get a job flying big airplane and make your family proud".

And this is the dumbest reason of all to ever do anything. If I'd listened to my family I'd still be in a dead end job.

rookiepilot I see where you're coming from. You've applied and didn't get in, maybe through no fault of your own, but due to a university degree requirement at the the majors as a way of just reducing the large number of applications they get. Luck also plays a small factor, very small, but it does help. That being said I also think it's important to evaluate and pass judgement on the whole story rather than nitpick one line like the media ofter does. Anything taken out of context can even make Gandhi look bad. I can offer you more proof in a private message. This is just me, but when I read someone's post and understand the intent behind it, it makes it acceptable. The original post has been written to help and encourage new comers in aviation. That is the target audience, it will 100% relate to them. But, it may not relate to you. So, perhaps justmove on and see if you can find another one on here that helps you brother.

Loner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loner »

Oh boy...a generation of “push buttons with a degree”
To make mommy and daddy proud...how cute

skybluetrek
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skybluetrek »

TheSocialChameleon wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:49 am
rookiepilot wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:34 pm "Get a job flying big airplane and make your family proud".

rookiepilot I see where you're coming from. You've applied and didn't get in, maybe through no fault of your own, but due to a university degree requirement at the the majors as a way of just reducing the large number of applications they get. Luck also plays a small factor, very small, but it does help. That being said I also think it's important to evaluate and pass judgement on the whole story rather than nitpick one line like the media ofter does. Anything taken out of context can even make Gandhi look bad. I can offer you more proof in a private message. This is just me, but when I read someone's post and understand the intent behind it, it makes it acceptable. The original post has been written to help and encourage new comers in aviation. That is the target audience, it will 100% relate to them. But, it may not relate to you. So, perhaps justmove on and see if you can find another one on here that helps you brother.

Attachments
d60ecfc3ed2857ba2e06a717c05e0182.jpg
d60ecfc3ed2857ba2e06a717c05e0182.jpg (164.24 KiB) Viewed 3230 times
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Loner wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:08 am Oh boy...a generation of “push buttons with a degree”
To make mommy and daddy proud...how cute
Yep. And that basement must be furnished in shag................ :roll:

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Weird shit going on with this guy...

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

I don't understand this post... or it's purpose. Seriously the ONLY part of the pilot career plan that seems to be an issue for people is the "Complete your basic training first at a flying club, college or university. " part. Going from zero to Group 1 is the hardest part by far and most DEFINITELY where young pilots drop-out, and you haven't really offered any advise for that. There's nothing original or useful in your post which a person with our education level could not figure out on their own.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
TheSocialChameleon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Update: Add 2+ years at the Express Carrier Level. Now I'm being facetious ;)

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

As evidenced on what I see here from replies to posts; it’s a wonder anyone would ever want to work as a pilot. What a bunch of mean spirited nasty posters.

Last edited by Kejidog on Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

Yes I agree totally there can be some really nasty comments made on this site.

But this is a public online forum were people interact and say their piece, not always with good manners. It reminds one of various bars and drinking places. You can have have high class fancy bars where people are well dressed and sophisticated, or you can have low class watering holes where people are rough and obnoxious and regularly getting into fights and thrown out the front door by bouncers onto the sidewalk. And everything in between.

This aviation forum site can sometimes be a little on the rough side, while others such as PPRUNE seem to be more sophisticated and exemplify better manners. Not sure why that is but it is helpful to be reminded when rudeness is setting in and maybe that can help us all to be more respectful of the differing opinions others often have from our own and of everyone's right to express their views without being insulted.

Oldguystrtn2fly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oldguystrtn2fly »

I think that when posters respond to complete BS posts, they are actually providing a service to the naive. When those who have no clue come here for knowledge and read a post like the OP has written, the responses either validate or refute the OP and that lets the person not in the know begin the process of learning.

This OP could be “how to be a movie star in two easy steps”
1- become god looking
2- get a part in a major motion picture.

Great advice? Not really...

Have a great day

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Keith...Is that you?

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

trey kule wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:33 pm Keith...Is that you?
No doubt.

Return to “Flight Training”