Hangar Tax Assessments CYYJ

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Hangar Tax Assessments CYYJ

Post by AirFrame »

Further update: Reports are coming in from across the province of massive increases, and many have launched appeals following COPA's mailout.
---------- ADS -----------

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Good for the owners - although the appeals process is a joke with BC Assessment.

You appeal, eventually get a phone call from them where they try to talk you out of it by telling you that you either won't get a reduction, or threaten that they may even realize that your property is "undervalued" and increase your assessment.

When you still won't back down, they let you know that there are appeal panels that meet at inconvenient times for anyone working (usually the middle of a weekday), and these kangaroo courts with zero accountability to anyone can do whatever the hell they want.

All you can do is go in with tons of evidence that shows the true value of hangars, selling values for comparable hangars works well (and if you can prove that yours has been assessed in some asinine manner - compared to others with similar sizes, or even better is showing discrepancies when it comes to the valuing of square footage of X versus Y, etc...). Good luck.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

I think if *all* the hangar owners go through the appeal process with accurate figures, you'll be more likely to get a reassessment.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

For comparison, my 2018 Property Assessment Notice on my Vernon hangar indicated that my assessment went up 6 percent...

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Schooner69A wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:56 pm For comparison, my 2018 Property Assessment Notice on my Vernon hangar indicated that my assessment went up 6 percent...
Schooner69A, is your hangar classified "Busines or Other" or "Industrial Warehouse"? If so, the taxes you pay at the end of the day are a lot higher than they would be if it were classified residential or recreational. With COPA circling around the issue with the possibility of bringing the big guns along to fight it, now may be the time to fight your assessment on Classification alone... Assuming you're happy with the assessed value.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

CpnCrunch wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:41 pm I think if *all* the hangar owners go through the appeal process with accurate figures, you'll be more likely to get a reassessment.
The assessor I spoke to said to me that regardless of any numbers we bring them, they have to take into consideration all properties that they deem "comparable". Which means despite actual selling prices of units in our complex or others, we would be valued based on the open market value of "comparable" commercial space elsewhere on and off the airport.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

AirFrame wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:54 am
CpnCrunch wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:41 pm I think if *all* the hangar owners go through the appeal process with accurate figures, you'll be more likely to get a reassessment.
The assessor I spoke to said to me that regardless of any numbers we bring them, they have to take into consideration all properties that they deem "comparable". Which means despite actual selling prices of units in our complex or others, we would be valued based on the open market value of "comparable" commercial space elsewhere on and off the airport.
But if you give them a lot of data for hangar sales/rental figures, and they all agree, that's pretty compelling evidence that hangars shouldn't be assessed the same as a factory or Tim Hortons franchise.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

7ECA wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:43 pm Good for the owners - although the appeals process is a joke with BC Assessment.

You appeal, eventually get a phone call from them where they try to talk you out of it by telling you that you either won't get a reduction, or threaten that they may even realize that your property is "undervalued" and increase your assessment.

When you still won't back down, they let you know that there are appeal panels that meet at inconvenient times for anyone working (usually the middle of a weekday), and these kangaroo courts with zero accountability to anyone can do whatever the hell they want.
This is a common theme expressed by many people who have dealt with BC Assessment in the past, it seems. However! Once you have gone through the appeal with their panel, you can pay $100 to have it heard by a judge. Once you've paid that $100 and shown that you're not interested in their kangaroo court results, they will start negotiating in earnest, because they DO NOT WANT to have anything put before a judge.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

Our hangars are listed as "Business" which is obviously a tax ploy of some sort seeing as they're all used to house private aircraft.

J

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Schooner69A wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:20 pm Our hangars are listed as "Business" which is obviously a tax ploy of some sort seeing as they're all used to house private aircraft.
Not quite... They are assessed in a category called "Business and Other". Yes, businesses are in that category, but our hangars are classified as "Other". ie., they don't have a category for Hangars. And as BC Assessment will tell you, they have nothing to do with taxation... Just assessment. Taxation is the municipality.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

I should have said that it was the City of Vernon that insists we are "Business"...?

Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Human Factor »

Quick question: What is the monthly "pad fee" payable to VAA for owning a hangar at YYJ? I heard something in the neighbourhood of $900 for a basic t-hangar but couldn't get confirmation.

Will fix airplanes for food.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

AirFrame wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:58 am
7ECA wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:43 pm Good for the owners - although the appeals process is a joke with BC Assessment.

This is a common theme expressed by many people who have dealt with BC Assessment in the past, it seems. However! Once you have gone through the appeal with their panel, you can pay $100 to have it heard by a judge. Once you've paid that $100 and shown that you're not interested in their kangaroo court results, they will start negotiating in earnest, because they DO NOT WANT to have anything put before a judge.
That is interesting information.

Unfortunately all governments are broke because of their own incompetence. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more of this.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

AirFrame wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:58 am

That is interesting information.

Unfortunately all governments are broke because of their own incompetence. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more of this.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Human Factor wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:57 pm Quick question: What is the monthly "pad fee" payable to VAA for owning a hangar at YYJ? I heard something in the neighbourhood of $900 for a basic t-hangar but couldn't get confirmation.
Do you mean the lease rate?

Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Human Factor »

AirFrame wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:35 am
Human Factor wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:57 pm Quick question: What is the monthly "pad fee" payable to VAA for owning a hangar at YYJ? I heard something in the neighbourhood of $900 for a basic t-hangar but couldn't get confirmation.
Yes. I couldn't formulate the right wording (brain fart) so channeled my inner Trailer Park Boy and came up with "pad fee". :wink:

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Human Factor wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:52 am
AirFrame wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:35 am
Yes. I couldn't formulate the right wording (brain fart) so channeled my inner Trailer Park Boy and came up with "pad fee". :wink:
$900 is way off. It's just over $200/mo on the north side, or about $2500/yr.

Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Human Factor »

AirFrame wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:41 am
$900 is way off. It's just over $200/mo on the north side, or about $2500/yr.
Thank you, that's considerably more reasonable.

I remember seeing one for sale in the Viscount Center a few years ago for around $85-90K and I thought that the listing said that the monthly assessment was $900. I could have read that wrong, or perhaps it was an annual assessment? It doesn't really matter now.

I think that was the last time that I saw a hangar available for sale, seems they don't come up very often.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

The price for a hangar at Viscount is accurate. They're a little nicer (and a fair bit newer) than many of the hangars on the north side. I don't know what their monthly assessments are, but $900 seems high to me. Note that $200/mo is just for the lease. With all costs included (maintenance, insurance, etc) the monthly cost is around $300 on the north side (at least at our complex).

Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Human Factor »

AirFrame wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:26 am The price for a hangar at Viscount is accurate. They're a little nicer (and a fair bit newer) than many of the hangars on the north side. I don't know what their monthly assessments are, but $900 seems high to me. Note that $200/mo is just for the lease. With all costs included (maintenance, insurance, etc) the monthly cost is around $300 on the north side (at least at our complex).
Any vacancies?

Return to “General Comments”