TSC- This school will take you to the Airlines

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

TheSocialChameleon
Rank 2
Rank 2

TSC- This school will take you to the Airlines

Post by TheSocialChameleon »

Let's go...

Everything ever worth having in life doesn't come without a lot of effort. Otherwise everyone else would already have it. You go work two jobs just to pay for flight training. You go to university/college and study all those courses needed to acquire your degree. Then after all that is done, you now still have to figure this whole flight training out.
For most of the people I meet, the school portion was the easiest part. The struggle was understanding and developing your skills each step of the way as a pilot. You had to learn navigation, meteorology, systems, crosswind landings, and pass all those damn TC exams. Now that you're finally done basic training whew! You still have to find a job. For myself it took me 2 years after school to even get my first flying flying job. I networked and applied like everyday. Now after 10 years in the business of flying and looking back I wish I had a mentor. Someone to show me a few shortcuts that with a bit of luck, if worked, would save me a few years.

The path of least resistance. Just like water easily flowing down a hill or making friends easily with people you click with. I highly suggest start with your end goal of airline A and working your way back to see if they are affiliated with certain schools/companies. TI have compiled a list of Colleges/Universities and Aviation Companies that have a pilot pathway program in Canada.

The following flying schools offer the path of least resistance to the regionals/major airlines:

Collège Air Richelieu
Algonquin College
Centre québécois de formation aéronautique at Cégep de Chicoutimi
Conestoga College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning
Confederation College
Mount Royal University
Ottawa Aviation Services
Okanagan College
Sault College (Direct entry to Jazz)
Seneca College (Direct entry to Jazz or Sunwing)
University of Waterloo (Direct entry to Jazz or Sunwing)
Western University

Air Cadet League of Canada (Direct entry to Jazz)
Bearskin Airlines (Direct entry to Jazz)
Wasaya Airways (Direct entry to Jazz)
Westjet Encore (Flowthrough guaranteed to Westjet Mainline)
Jazz Aviation (Flowthrough to Air Canada Mainline)
Sky Regional (Flowthrough to Air Canada Mainline)
Air Georgian (Flowthrough to Air Canada Mainline)

Note: You can now build seniority at Jazz with your current operator to then use if successful in passing the Jazz interview standards.

If I have missed anything in this list feel free to add below.
---------- ADS -----------

Hate me or Like me. Both days I get paid.
rk1996
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: TSC- This school will take you to the Airlines

Post by rk1996 »

Hello,

First of all, i really appreciate your help as a "mentor". It is great to see people helping us reaching our dream.

I am 22, and i have always been crazy about aviation. My goal would be to work for a regional (preference for Jazz :rolleyes: ). Currently, i'm finishing my College Diploma in accounting/managment. I'm planning to start an integrated ATPL Program with Collège Air Richelieu, since i live in Québec and they just joined the Jazz Pathways Program, but i'll only be able to start in September 2019. Since the program lasts between 18 and 24 months, i guess i'll be done by 2021/2022, and jeez... that's a LONG TIME. Thus, i have a few questions because it seems like everything changes so fast in the aviation industry and i'm a bit worried... :?

1. Will Jazz still hire a lot of pilot in 2021'ish like they do at the moment, or it will greatly slow down? (I'm wondering if it worth the money...)
2. Some of the listed schools offer Direct Entry to Jazz and some do not. What's the difference as they're all part of the pathways program ?

Thanks in advance :D

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Seems you picked the wrong "mentor"

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

Just like baking a cake! Follow the directions and Martha Stewart is your new name!

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Sorry, I've been out of Air Cadets for a while, but can someone fill me in on the Air Cadet league of Canada's "pilot pathway program" to Jazz?

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

Bede wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:59 pm Sorry, I've been out of Air Cadets for a while, but can someone fill me in on the Air Cadet league of Canada's "pilot pathway program" to Jazz?
Every 2-33 has a secret compartment with a Jazz contract inside. You didn't find it?

AppleOTP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AppleOTP »

rk1996 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:36 am
1. Will Jazz still hire a lot of pilot in 2021'ish like they do at the moment, or it will greatly slow down? (I'm wondering if it worth the money...)
2. Some of the listed schools offer Direct Entry to Jazz and some do not. What's the difference as they're all part of the pathways program ?

Thanks in advance :D
1) Everyone has asked this (not specifically jazz, but the "when will the music stop?") I stepped out of aviation for a while because I didn't have 1500hrs and my ATP, so I wasn't worthy to apply to a right seat king air job... look at it now.

2) Short answer, don't know, but inquire with the schools directly. People online, as a general rule, are full of themselves. They may accidentally mislead you, or their intentions could be deliberate.

Just because someone has a "Direct", like OAS -> Porter / Jazz / GGN / TransWest - look at their phrasing, it is not a guaranteed JOB, it's an interview. Anyone that has been in aviation longer than a day knows that you can interview and interview, but until you sign, and fly your checkride, it's not a "done deal".

I'm not trying to dissuade you, I'm just trying to give you information, do with it what you will.

AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AvifiskAlly »

TheSocialChameleon wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:58 am Let's go...

Everything ever worth having in life doesn't come without a lot of effort. Otherwise everyone else would already have it. You go work two jobs just to pay for flight training. You go to university/college and study all those courses needed to acquire your degree. Then after all that is done, you now still have to figure this whole flight training out.
For most of the people I meet, the school portion was the easiest part. The struggle was understanding and developing your skills each step of the way as a pilot. You had to learn navigation, meteorology, systems, crosswind landings, and pass all those damn TC exams. Now that you're finally done basic training whew! You still have to find a job. For myself it took me 2 years after school to even get my first flying flying job. I networked and applied like everyday. Now after 10 years in the business of flying and looking back I wish I had a mentor. Someone to show me a few shortcuts that with a bit of luck, if worked, would save me a few years.

The path of least resistance. Just like water easily flowing down a hill or making friends easily with people you click with. I highly suggest start with your end goal of airline A and working your way back to see if they are affiliated with certain schools/companies. TI have compiled a list of Colleges/Universities and Aviation Companies that have a pilot pathway program in Canada.

The following flying schools offer the path of least resistance to the regionals/major airlines:

Collège Air Richelieu
Algonquin College
Centre québécois de formation aéronautique at Cégep de Chicoutimi
Conestoga College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning
Confederation College
Mount Royal University
Ottawa Aviation Services
Okanagan College
Sault College (Direct entry to Jazz)
Seneca College (Direct entry to Jazz or Sunwing)
University of Waterloo (Direct entry to Jazz or Sunwing)
Western University

Air Cadet League of Canada (Direct entry to Jazz)
Bearskin Airlines (Direct entry to Jazz)
Wasaya Airways (Direct entry to Jazz)
Westjet Encore (Flowthrough guaranteed to Westjet Mainline)
Jazz Aviation (Flowthrough to Air Canada Mainline)
Sky Regional (Flowthrough to Air Canada Mainline)
Air Georgian (Flowthrough to Air Canada Mainline)

Note: You can now build seniority at Jazz with your current operator to then use if successful in passing the Jazz interview standards.

If I have missed anything in this list feel free to add below.

Haven't you missed tieing in the largest program in Canada - Air Georgian SOAR - AKA the "Air Canada Pilot Mill" H*ll Georgian is even paying for Instructor ratings in some of these programs. I'd continue to do your research as some of the info you posted looks pretty out of date. http://www.airgeorgian.ca/soar/soar-partners/

Also no discussion would be complete without including MFC and the new ownership by EIC and all the associated carries.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

I wouldn't focus on just one Airline - there are no guarantees you will ever be hired.

Apply to all and take the job that's offered first.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business

Return to “Flight Training”