50 hour float coarses

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

Ahramin are you saying my PhD in Basket weaving doesn't mean anything?
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I am saying a PhD in anything does not impart wisdom. I should have my math PhD in several years (hopefully). All that means is that i can do math. Just like a PhD in basket weaving says that you can weave baskets. :)

So i do not think that someone with a dozen diplomas should consider themselves safely out of reach of being stupid.

groo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by groo »

I think that the whole 50 hour courses came out of float companies asking for more than the 7 hour minimum. They meant 300 hours swamping not paying for another 50 hours with an instructor. Good for them for cashing in on on the winfall.

However. My experience is that the 185 requitements are much more than 50 hours (probably more like 400) in a twin otter or swamping on a s/otter or beaver and then an internal transfer to a 185.

Before you look for a float job, look carefully at the minimums, it's a season, not a course.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Groo :

Do you think that 50 hours with an experienced sea plane pilot has no value?

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
smartass
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by smartass »

I guess the days when going on your first solo in 3 hours weren't such a bad idea then. If it only takes 7 hours to learn how to fly a float plane, then I guess we were right in handing out Air Force wings as soon as the plane came back all intact. Why not scrap all this 200hr commercial crap and let whoever makes it back get a licence.

Groo for your information an insurance company won't even insure a private float plane for a pilot with less then 15 hours. It's not the commercial operators setting these time restraints, its the insurance companies. 50 hours is the minimum insureable requirement for a commercial operator on floats. This is due to 7 hour float plane pilots continually swimming to shore and wanting a new airplane so they can go flying again.

I'd like to see all of you seven hour promoters pile into your average float plane and then take a flight out on the west coast. It wouldn't be long before your opinion would be wiped clear off this planet. I would never volunteer to fly in a float plane without dual controls with a pilot under 15hours and to let him take my plane and go flying on his own with my customers??? At least 50 and judging by the present requirements of other operators and insurance companies basing requirements on crumpled heaps of metal, between 250 and 500 to start in a limited capacity.

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Flybynight, my experience is that the surest way to ruin a good bush pilot is to give him an Instrument Rating. I have seen it many times. I would suggest to any aspiring pilot to take the money that they would spend on a Multi/IFR and rent a Float Plane and fly the shit out of it and get as many hours on floats as you can.

My experience also tells me a Cessna 185 is the hardest and most dangerous bush plane you will ever fly. I have always said that they should start a new pilot on a Beaver and when he gets enough experience move him to the 185.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

CLguy :

It has always been thus in aviation, if nothing else we would have less insurance claims if float pilots started on the Beaver.

Cat.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”