Another op bites the dust Island Express Air Suspended

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

dlongo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Another op bites the dust Island Express Air Suspended

Post by dlongo »

---------- ADS -----------

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Another op bites the dust Island Express Air Suspended

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

“It’s nothing that’s not fixable.”

Pretty cavalier attitude to have, no?

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

“It’s nothing that’s not fixable.”

upnatem
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by upnatem »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:34 pm “It’s nothing that’s not fixable.”

What's cavalier about a company saying that TC's findings are being addressed, the operation improved and going back on line soon? That's the approach every aviation takes when there are findings by TC either through an audit or an incident/accident.

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

Maybe just a coincidence that an operator with a well documented history of illegal operations ended up in such a situation?

Or...

I wouldn't get in an airplane with that paint scheme. Would you?

I see no reason why the PIC should ever operate an aircraft for hire again. Indeed, I did cast the first stone.

On the heels of Dryden II? Are Canadians really that dumb when it comes to winter ops? Laughing stock now.

Unless of course it is found to have been a perfectly serviceable aircraft that departed within all legal parameters and it was just an unlucky day that brought things to an end in the raspberry bushes.

I have my doubts that this event will teach us anything new.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

upnatem wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:40 pm
PostmasterGeneral wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:34 pm “It’s nothing that’s not fixable.”

What's cavalier about a company saying that TC's findings are being addressed, the operation improved and going back on line soon? That's the approach every aviation takes when there are findings by TC either through an audit or an incident/accident.
If it's fixable, why wasn't it fixed before a whole planeload had their lives put at risk?

Huh?

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

I really cannot for the life of me, understand the number of government employees who used to fly with this two bit operator.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

By flying for sketchy operators, you learn all the tricks and know what to look for.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

It just may be an unfounded scuttlebutt but I heard that it is easier to get your OC back if you surrender it as opposed to having TC suspend it. May also be less lawyer time.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

It's just unfortunate that Transport Canada surveillance and enforcement wasn't able to nip the issues in the bud before the occurrence that resulted in a smoking hole and a body count. After all, isn't the role of the regulator and Government to suspect the unsuspecting public? Surely the issues were known before an accident occurred.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
jakester
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jakester »

a conspiracy of sorts exists in that operation from the top down and has for years, low time pilots flying poorly maintained aircraft with known deficiencies to save money but this isn't something new but a planned move that incorporates TC budget shortage by money hungry owners willing to place the travelling public at risk

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

It's just unfortunate that Transport Canada surveillance and enforcement wasn't able to nip the issues in the bud before the occurrence that resulted in a smoking hole and a body count. After all, isn't the role of the regulator and Government to suspect the unsuspecting public? Surely the issues were known before an accident occurred.

---------- AD

I believe TC did their level best to stop this before it happened. Unfortunately, they are restrained in what they can do. And like any company that may be skirting the regulations and safety, it takes a gang of pilots willing to join in to function.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
YVRLTN
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YVRLTN »

GXPE flew into YYJ yesterday using its tail # as a callsign, still with the same IAX titles though - someone managed to circumvent the grounding somehow?

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Looks like they must be trying to get back up and running - couple of job ads posted today.

YVRLTN
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YVRLTN »

Got their AOC back yesterday.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

I was perusing the CADORs regional reports, and I found two separate reports of Island Express aircraft having engine problems within a week. Obviously they haven't got their act together, at least with regards to maintenance.
"A Island Express Air Inc. Piper PA-31-350 (C-FVVS/IAX304) from Abbotsford, BC (CYXX) to Victoria International, BC (CYYJ) was 12NM Southwest of CYXX when the pilot declared an emergency and a return to the CYXX due to high oil pressure, which led to the shutting down of the right engine. The aircraft landed safely on Runway 19 at 2334Z. No operational impact."
"Shortly after departure from Runway 03, an Island Express Air Piper PA-31 (IAX305) from Victoria Int'l, BC (CYYJ) to Nanaimo Airport, BC (CYCD) reported engine issues. The aircraft returned to land Runway 09 safely with aircraft rescue and fire fighting (ARFF) standing by. No impact on operations."

YVRLTN
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YVRLTN »

They are operating scheds to Qualicum now from YVR

Return to “General Comments”