Swoop Blacklist

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Swoop Blacklist

Post by CaptainHaddock »

I keep hearing April start dates, it’s only March 11th right now. Hopefully they haven’t given notice at their old jobs yet. There is still the ULP for a cease and desist hiring a Swoop to be resolved (prior to April I’m guessing), and the definite possability of real negotiations happening now. So we’ll see how it pans out for all the Swoopster hopefuls.
---------- ADS -----------

Billions of Bilious Blue Blistering Barnacles!
mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

CaptainHaddock wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:15 pm I keep hearing April start dates, it’s only March 11th right now. Hopefully they haven’t given notice at their old jobs yet. There is still the ULP for a cease and desist hiring a Swoop to be resolved (prior to April I’m guessing), and the definite possability of real negotiations happening now. So we’ll see how it pans out for all the Swoopster hopefuls.
I hope they did quit their jobs!
It’s no secret how I feel about SR and their pilots, and if it’s in fact true about these 10 Captains joining swoop, it further solidifies they are the dregs of society I knew they were. I hope they quit and then get what is deserved when the cease and desist comes through, about a 96.925% chance ALPA wins.
It could be a win win, SR cancels flights because no captain, then they join the unemployment line, everybody is happy:)
Hey Hans, can you please tell us how hard it is to live on 85,000 a year so these guys have no choice but to join swoop, I can’t wait!

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Certainly a very risky move for the SR captains - but salary isn't always a driving force.

Another factor people need to start considering is not all pilots live near Pearson or Vancouver - cutting the commute alone makes a lot of sense.

Higher salary + same benefits + longer stage lengths + reduced commute = big savings.

Few career operators based at secondary airports.

Food for thought.

S.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

mbav8r wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:14 pm
CaptainHaddock wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:15 pm I keep hearing April start dates, it’s only March 11th right now. Hopefully they haven’t given notice at their old jobs yet. There is still the ULP for a cease and desist hiring a Swoop to be resolved (prior to April I’m guessing), and the definite possability of real negotiations happening now. So we’ll see how it pans out for all the Swoopster hopefuls.
I hope they did quit their jobs!
It’s no secret how I feel about SR and their pilots, and if it’s in fact true about these 10 Captains joining swoop, it further solidifies they are the dregs of society I knew they were. I hope they quit and then get what is deserved when the cease and desist comes through, about a 96.925% chance ALPA wins.
It could be a win win, SR cancels flights because no captain, then they join the unemployment line, everybody is happy:)
Hey Hans, can you please tell us how hard it is to live on 85,000 a year so these guys have no choice but to join swoop, I can’t wait!
Spoken by someone who's company had the lowest paid 757 Captains in North America

Transonic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Transonic »

tbaylx wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:56 am If we're going to make up odds I'd say it more likely 90% chance Swoop launches on schedule in June with or without ALPA.
I would say that statement would be relevant prior to last Thursday, however I strongly suspect the game has changed now with our new CEO.

The BOD intervened in a situation that was going to lead to the inevitable strike vote in May. Not an easy decision as seen by the 5% drop and distress displayed by analysts in the media. looking from the outside, chaotic has been the choice of words.

However, from the inside, the opposite is true. Our previous CEO was overly confident that he could win. He believed it was worthy of the risk as the reward would be recurrent in subsequent negotiations and it would send a strong signal to other employee groups. The BOD had less confidence and felt the risk was to high. Sometime last week, a falling out occurred.

We now have a new CEO who needs to demonstrate fast that he can execute Swoop and avoid a strike over the next 13 weeks.

There is only one way to do that.

BTW, our lowest pilot is #1960ish. Our lowest YYZ 737 CA is #924.

RidersRule
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RidersRule »

WeedPro2000 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:11 am
RidersRule wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:29 pm Wow. Why move sideways (definitely not forwards) from sky to poop when there is a 90% chance poop never gets off the ground?
To be fair, 95% of all statistics cited on the internet are made up on the spot by the poster.
99% of all avcanada posters that post under multiple user names are idiots....🤣

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

It's not the first time I've been in the 1%.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Transonic wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:18 pm
tbaylx wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:56 am If we're going to make up odds I'd say it more likely 90% chance Swoop launches on schedule in June with or without ALPA.
I would say that statement would be relevant prior to last Thursday, however I strongly suspect the game has changed now with our new CEO.

The BOD intervened in a situation that was going to lead to the inevitable strike vote in May. Not an easy decision as seen by the 5% drop and distress displayed by analysts in the media. looking from the outside, chaotic has been the choice of words.

However, from the inside, the opposite is true. Our previous CEO was overly confident that he could win. He believed it was worthy of the risk as the reward would be recurrent in subsequent negotiations and it would send a strong signal to other employee groups. The BOD had less confidence and felt the risk was to high. Sometime last week, a falling out occurred.

We now have a new CEO who needs to demonstrate fast that he can execute Swoop and avoid a strike over the next 13 weeks.

There is only one way to do that.

BTW, our lowest pilot is #1960ish. Our lowest YYZ 737 CA is #924.
Maybe, but getting a high percentage strike mandate isn't as easy as you may think. It isn't a negotiation panacea and it's a risky game of chicken where no one wins.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Norwegian Air plans to fly between Canada and Europe this summer. I wonder if the 787's will have to get Swooped in order to compete with their prices.

calgaryguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by calgaryguy »

Any truth to the rumour that pilots hired OTS are being offered 2 years salary for their troubles if the Swoop thing doesn't doesn't fly due to the outstanding ULP?

RidersRule
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RidersRule »

calgaryguy wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:03 am Any truth to the rumour that pilots hired OTS are being offered 2 years salary for their troubles if the Swoop thing doesn't doesn't fly due to the outstanding ULP?
According to the latest email from the company it's not true...

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

Where did the two year salary guarantee rumour/info originate from? The earliest source I have is from a communication from the WJ ALPA MEC. Have any hirees at Swoop said anything regarding this? (One smoke signal for NO, two smoke signals for YES)

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

:smt033: :smt033:

Demeter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Demeter »

Just another example of the weekly mec updates not being truthful. You would have thought they would put fact into those notes. Sad really.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

Victory wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:16 am Norwegian Air plans to fly between Canada and Europe this summer. I wonder if the 787's will have to get Swooped in order to compete with their prices.
Swing and a miss. Keep trying slugger, you'll get there eventually.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by #37 »

Demeter wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:39 pm Just another example of the weekly mec updates not being truthful. You would have thought they would put fact into those notes. Sad really.
The note says "We were informed.... If this is true..." It was framed as unconfirmed.
You are looking for a lie that isn't there, then calling it a lie on an external forum.
Then recklessly call it "just another example".
I know basic language arts are not a requirement for WestJet pilots, but you have gone beyond into the malicious.

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

#37 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:32 pm
The note says "We were informed.... If this is true..." It was framed as unconfirmed.
You are looking for a lie that isn't there, then calling it a lie on an external forum.
I know basic language arts are not a requirement for WestJet pilots, but you have gone beyond into the malicious.
So let me get this straight, if I send an email to all WJ pilots that I heard a rumour that pilot H.L. likes to xxxxxxxxxxx in the back of a 1977 full size Chevy van while parked outside of elementary schools, that’s okay because I say “If it’s true”. Doesn’t that seem a tad reckless? For a body representing the pilots at WJ, I think spreading rumo(u)rs seems to be less than professional behaviour.

Can we agree on that? Or do you think it’s okay for the MEC to spread rumo(u)rs?

Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by #37 »

WeedPro2000 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:07 pm
#37 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:32 pm
So let me get this straight, if I send an email to all WJ pilots that I heard a rumour that pilot H.L. likes to xxxxxxxxxxx in the back of a 1977 full size Chevy van while parked outside of elementary schools, that’s okay because I say “If it’s true”. Doesn’t that seem a tad reckless? For a body representing the pilots at WJ, I think spreading rumo(u)rs seems to be less than professional behaviour.

Can we agree on that? Or do you think it’s okay for the MEC to spread rumo(u)rs?
Oh no, that's completely true, except it was a Dodge, and an old folks home.
And yes, I agree. Probably more to the story than meets the eye, but yes, they were informed, and used it as an example, "if true".
Perhaps reckless, perhaps a shot across the bow, perhaps there is now documentation. Nowhere near enough to label untruth. They were quite open that it was unconfirmed, contrary to Demeter's interpretation.

jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

I find the wording interesting in Cam's memo.

As far as offering the two year thing - Cam indicates that they are not. The note did not clarify if they ever did though. If any such offers are rescinded then both stories are true.

Cheers.

JJJ

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

Well they had me convinced! Probably better that that type of info is distributed at the Unity nights and save confirmed information for official MEC documentation. Or post it under à Rumours section.

And if it was a Dodge, did it have a sailboat painting on the side? If so, whatever you were doing was in TM’s van in YQM. Ewww.

Coffee is on me the next time I’m not in a rush.

Return to “WestJet”