Everyday at WJ : union busting

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Everyday at WJ : union busting

Post by goingnowherefast »

Im still waiting for an answer from Realitychex as to why, if everybody has so much to loose, why is it only the pilots are being offered reduced pay rates? If it's so critical to the success of Swoop and WJ, shouldn't everybody be getting "swooped" equally?

I'd venture to guess it's got nothing to do with pay and is just union busting in disguise.
---------- ADS -----------

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

goingnowherefast wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:47 pm I'd venture to guess it's got nothing to do with pay and is just union busting in disguise.
All the dedicated Swoop employees are compensated at Swoop rates and conditions, not just pilots. A search on WestNet using “swoop” as a keyword will show who they are.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Mechanics? Management? Dispatchers?

I'm not a WJ employee, so can't look it up. Just a confused outsider who doesn't understand why WJ is treating their pilots like crap.

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

goingnowherefast wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:18 pm Mechanics? Management? Dispatchers?
Those within WestJet can take a look, it doesn’t concern those outside.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

The way WJ is going with this and the pilot shortage, there will be less and less within WJ.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

Emotions aside for a moment, I think what Realitychex was trying to impress upon, is that management's responsibility has grown with the airline size, whereas the responsibilities of a B737's pilots, as great as they may be, are still similar. There is validity to that as one is paid for one's responsibility. Add to that, It is likely that management at Swoop would also be at "Swoop" rates, whatever percentage of Westjet that works out to be. It is unlikely that Swoop CEO for instance makes the same as Westjet CEO, because he likely reports to him.

And if ALPA is promising/seeking a substantial increase, would it not be good strategy to agree to Swoop for now, focus on improving Westjet's B737 and B787 compensation, and then in time try to regroup and bring in Swoop folks and reconnect allowing longer LOAs for Encore people and junior B737 FOs who benefit from the higher pay and experience at Swoop on a 2-3 year LOA? One cannot expect to win every battle and the war too!...raising shields...! :)

GAF
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GAF »

In other words, and without wanting to sound contrite, the job of flying a 737 around North America hasn't changed much. It carries the same level of technical expertise and responsibility as it always has.

I will need to disagree with this comment. When I started with WS we never went East of ywg. Our planes didn't fly RNP approaches or departures. We didnt fly ETOPS. We didn't fly from JFK to YYC to Yellowknife, back to Calgary, to Orlando, and on to Toronto all in a 4 day pairing. The route structure is much more complicated. With no area of operations all pilots are expected to know everything about every airport. Flying a -200 between Calgary, Vancouver, Kelowna, Edmonton and Winnipeg was much different than what is required of the WS pilots today. The job is much more different than "15" years ago, like you said. Much more complicated.

Flyingsquirrelsuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flyingsquirrelsuck »

cloak wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:45 pm Emotions aside for a moment, I think what Realitychex was trying to impress upon, is that management's responsibility has grown with the airline size, whereas the responsibilities of a B737's pilots, as great as they may be, are still similar. There is validity to that as one is paid for one's responsibility. Add to that, It is likely that management at Swoop would also be at "Swoop" rates, whatever percentage of Westjet that works out to be. It is unlikely that Swoop CEO for instance makes the same as Westjet CEO, because he likely reports to him.

And if ALPA is promising/seeking a substantial increase, would it not be good strategy to agree to Swoop for now, focus on improving Westjet's B737 and B787 compensation, and then in time try to regroup and bring in Swoop folks and reconnect allowing longer LOAs for Encore people and junior B737 FOs who benefit from the higher pay and experience at Swoop on a 2-3 year LOA? One cannot expect to win every battle and the war too!...raising shields...! :)
How in the world would a pilot group ever see a better contract if an alter ego airline is started within the same company flying the same aircraft with pilots working for 40% less money.

Do you think management will pay a higher price to the original pilot group? Absolutely not my friend.

Agreeing to let Swoop fly is a danger to WJ pilots futures

pigboat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pigboat »

Notes from the side lines.

Management SHOULD be concerned about doing so much damage to their relationships with their pilots. The damage can last for ten years or more! If the WJ pilots loose the resolve to be dedicated employees and become only out for themselves, it becomes a long and expensive road to come back from.

They are using Swoop in one last desperate attempt to cheapen the pilot group.( both in wages and working conditions) They refuse to understand that after a fifty year surplus of qualified pilots that it has come to an abrupt END!

Pilots have choices! Some are voting with their feet and going to A.C. and elsewhere.

Be prepared to vote with your feet and strike if you must. Anyone that has had to go that route will tell you that it is a last resort BUT your pilots must be prepared to take it to the wall if pushed into it! The long term damage to the employee/management relationship can last a very long time. On strike the Company will loose 25 million a day, or more, and that has a sharp way of bringing both parties together in finding an EQUITABLE solution.

A strike is good for no one. BUT. sometimes it gets forced upon you. Swoop and all it stands for is destructive to the whole pilot group. If you stick together, you will defeat this attack.

Regards.

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

GAF wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:18 pm In other words, and without wanting to sound contrite, the job of flying a 737 around North America hasn't changed much. It carries the same level of technical expertise and responsibility as it always has.

I will need to disagree with this comment. When I started with WS we never went East of ywg. Our planes didn't fly RNP approaches or departures. We didnt fly ETOPS. We didn't fly from JFK to YYC to Yellowknife, back to Calgary, to Orlando, and on to Toronto all in a 4 day pairing. The route structure is much more complicated. With no area of operations all pilots are expected to know everything about every airport. Flying a -200 between Calgary, Vancouver, Kelowna, Edmonton and Winnipeg was much different than what is required of the WS pilots today. The job is much more different than "15" years ago, like you said. Much more complicated.
Adding to the list of things that have changed:

1) We don't do dive and drive NDB approaches anymore.
2) We have EGPWS technology
3) We have CPDLC on some routes/aircraft, with more to come
4) We don't need to manually calculate thrust/takeoff speed requirements from charts
5) We don't need to enter enroute winds manually from paper flight plans, it is now a simple upload
6) We don't need to enter the flight plan route manually anymore, it is now a simple uplink
7) We don't need to carry and update paper Jeppesen approach manuals (indeed all company documents, COM/FOM etc) anymore, we have an iPad with all documents
8) We can trade or drop shifts. Easily. Online.
9) We have two online means of verifying our schedules and modifications
10) Most pilots are wearing noise cancelling headsets (some with BT technology allowing music to be listened to, so I'm told)
11) McCafe
12) Lavs on the NG are nicer than the on Classic
13) I hear that it is easier to pick up OT than what it was when I started in 2003, when it was VERY challenging to do so.
14) No requirement now to report for duty at the hangar, in Calgary, to start all pairings
15) No requirement to show up at the airport (report, no earlier than 3 hours prior to the flight to check in for standby travel

The job isn't appreciably harder now than what it was 15 years ago. It is easier and safer, with the exception of multiple time zone travel creating challenging sleep cycles.

GAF
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GAF »

Oh I forgot to add one more very important item. Some of the people we have had to fly with for multiple days makes the job very challenging.

Flyingsquirrelsuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

WeedPro2000 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:44 am
GAF wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:18 pm In other words, and without wanting to sound contrite, the job of flying a 737 around North America hasn't changed much. It carries the same level of technical expertise and responsibility as it always has.

4) We don't need to manually calculate thrust/takeoff speed requirements from charts
5) We don't need to enter enroute winds manually from paper flight plans, it is now a simple upload
6) We don't need to enter the flight plan route manually anymore, it is now a simple uplink
7) We don't need to carry and update paper Jeppesen approach manuals (indeed all company documents, COM/FOM etc) anymore, we have an iPad with all documents
10) Most pilots are wearing noise cancelling headsets (some with BT technology allowing music to be listened to, so I'm told)
11) McCafe
13) I hear that it is easier to pick up OT than what it was when I started in 2003, when it was VERY challenging to do so.
14) No requirement now to report for duty at the hangar, in Calgary, to start all pairings
15) No requirement to show up at the airport (report, no earlier than 3 hours prior to the flight to check in for standby travel

The job isn't appreciably harder now than what it was 15 years ago. It is easier and safer, with the exception of multiple time zone travel creating challenging sleep cycles.
Another strong post by John. Fantastic!

Yet againing needs to have his voice heard, and using an example of “McCafe” as a “Win” for our pilot group.

Superstar!

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

I’m a self-centred, narcisstic egomaniac, prone to bouts of megalomania, who suffers from an insufferable desire to be heard, and who has been under a lifelong need to talk about himself and while simultaneously ignoring the needs of others.

And, truth be told, those are my good qualities.

Now, what was your point?

Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by #37 »

WeedPro2000 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:54 am I’m a self-centred, narcisstic egomaniac, prone to bouts of megalomania, who suffers from an insufferable desire to be heard, and who has been under a lifelong need to talk about himself and while simultaneously ignoring the needs of others.

Ha ha, that made me laugh. Definition of a pilot right there!!!!

Flyingsquirrelsuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

WeedPro2000 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:54 am I’m a self-centred, narcisstic egomaniac, prone to bouts of megalomania, who suffers from an insufferable desire to be heard, and who has been under a lifelong need to talk about himself and while simultaneously ignoring the needs of others.

Yup. Speechless

Flyingsquirrelsuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

#37 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:02 am

Ha ha, that made me laugh. Definition of a pilot right there!!!!
Most pilots I know are not like John. They care about the people they work with

Demeter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Demeter »

Flyingsquirrelsuck wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:13 am

11) McCafe

Yet againing needs to have his voice heard, and using an example of “McCafe” as a “Win” for our pilot group.

Superstar!
Give it a break squirrel
I'd like to see things from your point of view but I can't seem to get my head that far up my ass.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

That is a fair assesment, the flying in some ways is more complex and draws more on the skills of the pilots. As another poster shared, in some ways it has become more streamlined to compensate for the added complexity. But regardless, how has the compensation changed from those days that you mentioned?

Flyingsquirrelsuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Demeter wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:59 pm
Flyingsquirrelsuck wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:13 am

11) McCafe

Superstar!
Give it a break squirrel
I'd like to see things from your point of view but I can't seem to get my head that far up my ass.
Stay classy bud. I’m just trying to stand up for pilots.

Yourself?

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

Holy cripes, if you can’t see that the McCafe thing was a light hearted remark, levity shall we say, than you are holding on much too tight. That or you are just trying too darn hard to throw poo at me, which I don’t really mind, you know, poo flinging. Poo fetish joins the list of my good qualities...

With reference to an RNP approach, it’s easier rather than harder than an NDB approach, so let’s call that one a win for the pilots.

Return to “WestJet”