What's the situation like at YBW?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: What's the situation like at YBW?

Post by final28 »

Fly Right no longer exists. CFC now has two twins, not sure if the second one is online yet, they just bought it.
Apparently both schools are losing instructors at a fairly rapid pace to the airlines.
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Yeah sorry if that sounded rude Simon. It was meant to be tongue in cheek. Nobody has ever heard of a 6 month wait for an instructor. I doubt it was this bad even in 1939.

Fact is though lots of instructors have trouble getting by in the winter because it's so slow, and come summer everyone expects to be able to walk up and take a plane for the weekend or get the sunday afternoon slot. It's not just the schools, YBW tower cuts the circuit off at something like 6 aircraft an hour now, it's crazy. I did some flying at the club 2 years ago and I was blown away by how tough to get a booking it was.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

They were busy last year. I only had to wait two weeks for rental checks. Bummer but that's how it was.

I have not talked with them this year but I'll report back if I do.

blowtorch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by blowtorch »

final28 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:05 am Fly Right no longer exists.
What happened to this school? I got my PPL there way back when they were known as Peacock Aero.

yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yhz41 »

blowtorch wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:51 pm
final28 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:05 am Fly Right no longer exists.
What happened to this school? I got my PPL there way back when they were known as Peacock Aero.
Got sold to CFC but also not CFC.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Edit: this information was incorrect as my later post explained, I went down to The Calgary Flying Club in person and due to some cancellations, I was scheduled for a renter's check on a 172 within just a few days.

They are certainly busy but the 100+ person wait list is to start flight training for a new Private Pilots License.

Sorry for my part in spreading miss information. While I often post silly things, I would like to post accurate information regarding this sort of content.

I just got off the phone and the nice fellow did not give a time frame but the wait list for renter's check on C-172 is around 100 people.

Last edited by Beefitarian on Tue May 01, 2018 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I thought 100 person wait list for a renter's check did not make sense so I went down this morning in person to try to find out what was really going on.

It is actually a 100 person wait list for flight training.

Renter's check is dependent on availability of a plane and instructor. Typically a couple of weeks but I booked one for Tuesday because there was a cancellation.

Phew.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Beefitarian wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:54 pm .....but I booked one for Tuesday because there was a cancellation.
Getting yourself ready for the flight to Wisconsin in July?

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
Arceus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Arceus »

Just emailed CFC and they said approximately it will take 8 months -1 year to get through the whole list so I'd consider going to a different airport to get your training done if you're on a time crunch.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

5x5 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:51 am
Beefitarian wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:54 pm .....but I booked one for Tuesday because there was a cancellation.
Getting yourself ready for the flight to Wisconsin in July?
No. I'm probably not going this year. If I do it will be with a full load of children and canines so we would pull our summer home again.

Also I'm just hoping to up my flying to > 4 hours for 2018.

I have to admit, I like your thinking. In the unlikely event I ended up getting and staying current a few years from now maybe.

LTR123
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LTR123 »

Interesting.

Bonesaw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bonesaw »

I just saw on Facebook that Sky Wings is doing a Accelerated PPL course this summer starting July 9th and is 6 to 8 Weeks. There Facebook page is Flying With Sky Wings Aviation.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I enjoyed renting from SkyWings in Okatoks then High River. I like Red Deer but that's a big commute from cow town. I would move there though. I almost bought a house in Sptingbrook.

I'm back to the Calgary Flying Club at YBW. I'm happy there, I have not spent .5 waiting to take off lately so that's bonus.

Some dual in August then again last Tuesday. Booked for a third flight in a couple of weeks.

They are retaining instructors, so that is good, but the wait list to start a PPL course is still pretty long.

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

There is also Calgary Flight Training Centre up in Olds. They have DA20s, nice airport.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

True and I would have tried their DA 40 if they would have answered the phone.

I know I'm some weird dinosaur using a telephone to try and talk to a person but...

Oldguystrtn2fly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oldguystrtn2fly »

pianokeys wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:55 am There is also Calgary Flight Training Centre up in Olds. They have DA20s, nice airport.
The rental rates at this school put training expenses well out of reach for most. They are extremely proud of their DA20’s

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

Oldguystrtn2fly wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:04 pm
pianokeys wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:55 am There is also Calgary Flight Training Centre up in Olds. They have DA20s, nice airport.
The rental rates at this school put training expenses well out of reach for most. They are extremely proud of their DA20’s
I wonder what their prices are now? They were steep a few years ago, 160 an hour I think. CFC was $140 an hour for a 172.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

pianokeys wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:42 am
“Rental rate” for the Katana according to their website is $299/hr!!!

I can’t imagine what they’d want for the twin!

I wonder what their prices are now? They were steep a few years ago, 160 an hour I think. CFC was $140 an hour for a 172.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

Calgary-Okotoks Flying School in Okotoks just started up. As of two weeks ago, they were waiting TC approval...

They're on Facebook...

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:21 am
pianokeys wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:42 am

“Rental rate” for the Katana according to their website is $299/hr!!!

I can’t imagine what they’d want for the twin!

LOL $299!? Seems like someone is trying to purposefully run it in to the ground.

Return to “Flight Training”