Emirates

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Emirates

Post by complexintentions »

One of the best parts of being Expat is the chance to really experience other cultures. Not spend all your time with other Expats.
Oh yeah, you're just like a local all right, making 1000X the salary of the average worker in (for example, your previous gig) SE Asia. Just a regular joe. You're really experiencing that culture, sure, sure. Just at a higher pay grade, amiright? (fist bump)

Sorry, but being proficient with chopsticks does NOT mean you're really "embracing the culture". Marry a local, learn the language, raise your family there, support her whole village, and spend the rest of your life in your adopted country - THAT's really experiencing "other cultures". Not buying a scooter and knowing where the best biryani is to be found.

So spare us the 'Seven Years in Tibet' schtick, please. You're still a mercenary wearing local clothes no matter how you phrase it. Nothing wrong with that, but the sanctimonious "I'm so authentic" expats are just as annoying as the black Range Rover wannabe rockstars.

As far as "experiencing" other cultures, you will most certainly meet people from the largest number of different ones in Dubai than pretty much anywhere else on the planet. I'm presently working where my name is almost always the only westerner on the customs declaration. On an EK flight, you'd regularly have 20 crewmembers with 20 different passports. Guess which layover is more enjoyable? If you get your jollies being the token white guy that's fine, but if variety is the spice of life, a monoculture expat job is pretty bland by comparison. (And, while we're still with food metaphors, Dear God, EK is a smorgasbord... :twisted: )

As to Dubai and Emirates, I've pretty much given up even attempting to describe it. Spent just under a decade there, the last 6 1/2 in the left seat of the B777. But I'm constantly told "how it is" by people whose experience is limited to:

- their trips there
- their "friends who all say the same thing"
- what they see on tv.

So really, what's the point? Everyone's an expert in their own little Facebook echo chamber. I just shrug and laugh. :mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

complexintentions wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:12 am
One of the best parts of being Expat is the chance to really experience other cultures. Not spend all your time with other Expats.
Oh yeah, you're just like a local all right, making 1000X the salary of the average worker in (for example, your previous gig) SE Asia. Just a regular joe. You're really experiencing that culture, sure, sure. Just at a higher pay grade, amiright? (fist bump)

Sorry, but being proficient with chopsticks does NOT mean you're really "embracing the culture". Marry a local, learn the language, raise your family there, support her whole village, and spend the rest of your life in your adopted country - THAT's really experiencing "other cultures". Not buying a scooter and knowing where the best biryani is to be found.

So spare us the 'Seven Years in Tibet' schtick, please. You're still a mercenary wearing local clothes no matter how you phrase it. Nothing wrong with that, but the sanctimonious "I'm so authentic" expats are just as annoying as the black Range Rover wannabe rockstars.

As far as "experiencing" other cultures, you will most certainly meet people from the largest number of different ones in Dubai than pretty much anywhere else on the planet. I'm presently working where my name is almost always the only westerner on the customs declaration. On an EK flight, you'd regularly have 20 crewmembers with 20 different passports. Guess which layover is more enjoyable? If you get your jollies being the token white guy that's fine, but if variety is the spice of life, a monoculture expat job is pretty bland by comparison. (And, while we're still with food metaphors, Dear God, EK is a smorgasbord... :twisted: )

As to Dubai and Emirates, I've pretty much given up even attempting to describe it. Spent just under a decade there, the last 6 1/2 in the left seat of the B777. But I'm constantly told "how it is" by people whose experience is limited to:

- their trips there
- their "friends who all say the same thing"
- what they see on tv.

So really, what's the point? Everyone's an expert in their own little Facebook echo chamber. I just shrug and laugh. :mrgreen:
In your lengthy dissertation, you didn’t mention you are earning your living like the rest of us have/did. You are just doing it in a manner that best suites your ultimate goal(s) in life and needless to say, you are making a very good living. Nothing wrong with that as it requires sacrifice and hard work on your part , commendable for sure. In the end though, the race is long and it is only with yourself.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

Anyone think we’re gonna see any improvements in pay or work conditions at EK given the increasing experienced pilot shortage?

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

Don't forget at EK there is currently a 5 year/45000USD bond if you decide to go.

Not sure what it is a the Etihad but I'm sure it's not that high....

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

Mig29 wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:05 pm Don't forget at EK there is currently a 5 year/45000USD bond if you decide to go.

And honestly, who can say what the situation is going to be like in the Middle East 5 years from now? Even 2 years...

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Boreas wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:35 pm
Mig29 wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:05 pm Don't forget at EK there is currently a 5 year/45000USD bond if you decide to go.

And honestly, who can say what the situation is going to be like in the Middle East 5 years from now? Even 2 years...
So, you advocate that people should stop living and make plans, shelter at home, in case something bad happens?!

Going for the deck at corner
Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

Ummm, no don't "stop living"... :rolleyes:

Just don't jump head-first into a 5 year / $45 000 bond that might trap you in the Middle East. Oil isn't what it was 10 years ago and it never will.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

complexintentions wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:12 am

@Complex

You're reading an awful lot into my posts - there's a difference between experiencing the culture and embracing the culture.

As Expat I'm obviously not a local nor will I ever be one - it's about respecting their way of doing things and learning how to live as a guest in their country. That does require a lot of flexibility - it's not for everyone.

At the end of the day I'm just a guy trying to make the best of his situation - I'm assuming that's the same for you?

My colleague flying with me at the moment is a former Emirates Pilot - his comments on the current situation in Dubai/Emirates are similar to what I have posted.

Just wondering - would you recommend Dubai/Emirates to your friends?

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

If Emirates were parking billions of dollars of aircraft solely due to pilot staffing shortfalls then they would have already considered offshore basing in order to attract more candidates. They are not and have not.

The deal in the desert is what it is. Works well for some, not for others.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

Boreas wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:33 am Oil isn't what it was 10 years ago and it never will.
Just curious but; What are you basing that on?

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

Mach1 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:46 pm
Boreas wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:33 am Oil isn't what it was 10 years ago and it never will.
Haha, are you from Alberta by any chance? Did that hit a nerve?

The writing is on the wall and the Saudis know it. Wasn't there a coup attempt a couple of weeks ago in Riyadh that they're trying to cover up?

iamnomaverick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by iamnomaverick »

Boreas wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:06 pm

The writing is on the wall and the Saudis know it. Wasn't there a coup attempt a couple of weeks ago in Riyadh that they're trying to cover up?
Boreas, The UAE is not as dependant on oil (specially the Emirate of Dubai) as you may think... The new Dubai was built to be the Hong Kong of the Middle East/new Hong Kong so it is heavenly reliant on free trade, tourism and transportation (both commercial goods/transiting merchandise and private). Over two third of the world’s population live between Asia and Africa so naturally they are trying to take advantage of their strategic location to become a hub for trade between the two continents. A lot of major companies have either headquarters or branches here and business is booming regardless of oil prices.

As for Emirates parking airplanes, I think it’s all about optimizing their routes right now, the code share with Flydubai has proven to be a huge success for both companies as it means they can optimize their networks to serve both businesses and help them grow...I think we will all hear more on this soon.

I know this first hand, they have MANY applicants coming to Dubai for Interviews and not many pass from what I have seen so they are not as desperate as you may think.

iamnomaverick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by iamnomaverick »

Boreas, The UAE is not as dependant on oil (specially the Emirate of Dubai) as you may think... The new Dubai was built to be the Hong Kong of the Middle East/new Hong Kong so it is heavely reliant on free trade, tourism and transportation (both commercial goods/transiting merchandise and private). Over two third of the world’s population live between Asia and Africa so naturally they are trying to take advantage of their strategic location to become a hub for trade between the two continents. A lot of major companies have either headquarters or branches here and business is booming regardless of oil prices.

As for Emirates parking airplanes, I think it’s all about optimizing their routes right now, the code share with Flydubai has proven to be a huge success for both companies as it means they can optimize their networks to serve both businesses and help them grow...I think we will all hear more on this soon.

I know this first hand, they have MANY applicants coming to Dubai for Interviews and not many pass from what I have seen so they are not as desperate as you may think.

square
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by square »

This may be a dumb question, but can you bring your dog? Seems like walking would be terrible and you wouldn't have a yard to ignore him in, and that he'd die in the yard. Especially with a active breed, for example the most active breed you can find.

What is life like for a expat dog in Dubai?

And, secondly, does he need a passport?

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

Boreas wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:06 pm Haha, are you from Alberta by any chance? Did that hit a nerve?

You didn't answer my question.

You seem to lack a fundamental understanding of the world around you. All synthetics in this world from your iPhone, to the power insulators for electric transmission, to your clothes are all made from oil byproducts. This will be a complicated and long process to get off the oil based economy. No nerves need be hit, I am just curious upon what you are basing your opinion? Rather than a glib answer from a eco-pamphlet you read once, try answering the question.

Last edited by Mach1 on Sun May 06, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
square
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by square »

Boreas wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:06 pmHaha, are you from Alberta by any chance? Did that hit a nerve?

The arrests were done by the crown Prince, he's already in power, he's consolidating it. That's about Saudi money and power, not oil.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

iamnomaverick wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 12:00 pm

Boreas, The UAE is not as dependant on oil (specially the Emirate of Dubai) as you may think... The new Dubai was built to be the Hong Kong of the Middle East/new Hong Kong so it is heavely reliant on free trade, tourism and transportation (both commercial goods/transiting merchandise and private). Over two third of the world’s population live between Asia and Africa so naturally they are trying to take advantage of their strategic location to become a hub for trade between the two continents. A lot of major companies have either headquarters or branches here and business is booming regardless of oil prices.

More then 85% of the UAE's GDP is oil based, that qualifies as heavily dependent on oil regardless of one emirate's attempts to diversify.

Dubai itself may not have much revenue from petroleum hence why they are trying to invent themselves into something other than a petroleum state, but the area as a whole will live and die based on oil prices and revenue for the foreseeable future. The UAE only relevant as a business center because of their relative political stability compared to their neighbours and oil.

iamnomaverick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by iamnomaverick »

square wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 5:29 pm This may be a dumb question, but can you bring your dog? Seems like walking would be terrible and you wouldn't have a yard to ignore him in, and that he'd die in the yard. Especially with a active breed, for example the most active breed you can find.

What is life like for a expat dog in Dubai?

And, secondly, does he need a passport?
Yes you can, a friend of mine just brought his dog from Alberta. It is a lengthy and expensive process from what I understand(blood tests that take a a while, vet check up/clearance, must be shipped as cargo). I am not sure how they fare here in the summer but I see a lot of expats with dogs (and sadly a lot of dogs are left behind after their expat owners abandon them and move back). If you are actually coming then I can ask for you.

iamnomaverick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by iamnomaverick »

tbaylx wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 6:18 am
Boreas wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:06 pm Haha, are you from Alberta by any chance? Did that hit a nerve?

More then 85% of the UAE's GDP is oil based, that qualifies as heavily dependent on oil regardless of one emirate's attempts to diversify.

Dubai itself may not have much revenue from petroleum hence why they are trying to invent themselves into something other than a petroleum state, but the area as a whole will live and die based on oil prices and revenue for the foreseeable future. The UAE only relevant as a business center because of their relative political stability compared to their neighbours and oil.
Just curious where you got that figure from as I wasn't able to find it. Regardless, I think Dubai has been successful in diversifying its economy.

In any case the whole thread was in regards to Emirates and if it is worth it to come here. A question I struggled with myself before coming here...
Every one's situation is different, money is not everything so if you are happy making 50K a year as a professional airline pilot then be it, it is your life, your choice and no one can judge you for it. Hell I may have stayed too if I wasn't in my mid 30s and needed to actually feel like I am getting ahead. I think everyone agrees the pay for airline pilots in Canada is a joke.
I remember having a discussion with the Uber driver on my way to work one day just to find out that he made more money than me...I have friends who went to trade schools for 6 months to a year right after highschool and they have been making six figures for years while I was slugging it up north loading/washing/cleaning crap(literally) and eating Kraft dinner so I can one day make it to the "big league".

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

iamnomaverick wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 10:37 am
tbaylx wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 6:18 am

Just curious where you got that figure from as I wasn't able to find it. Regardless, I think Dubai has been successful in diversifying its economy.

In any case the whole thread was in regards to Emirates and if it is worth it to come here. A question I struggled with myself before coming here...
Every one's situation is different, money is not everything so if you are happy making 50K a year as a professional airline pilot then be it, it is your life, your choice and no one can judge you for it. Hell I may have stayed too if I wasn't in my mid 30s and needed to actually feel like I am getting ahead. I think everyone agrees the pay for airline pilots in Canada is a joke.
I remember having a discussion with the Uber driver on my way to work one day just to find out that he made more money than me...I have friends who went to trade schools for 6 months to a year right after highschool and they have been making six figures for years while I was slugging it up north loading/washing/cleaning crap(literally) and eating Kraft dinner so I can one day make it to the "big league".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_o ... b_Emirates

Yup the pay is better as an expat. Eventually that isn't enough for most and you want to come home, except then you get to start as an FO at the bottom of the seniority system again fro $50k a year, or you get trapped into staying because you can't afford to come home and then you become a pissed off expat bitching over beers at Barasti while all the pilots who just moved there tell you how great things are. Its the circle of expat life.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”