Aim to be a zero - Chris Hadfield

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Aim to be a zero - Chris Hadfield

Post by Outlaw58 »

Bunch of guys arguing over quotes from a book they haven't read...

Aim to be a zero is the title of a whole chapter. Might want to consider using some of the time bickering on this topic to actually read the book. Just a suggestion....

---------- ADS -----------

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

+1 adds value according to Hadfield. Can't argue with that.

Zero does not add value nor does it take value away. It's just there.

-1 takes value away.

Aim for zero means don't proclaim yourself as a +1 or you'll automatically be seen as arrogant and a -1. But actually be a +1 and people will recognize it. He's pretty clear about that if you're into context at all.

Tough question Outlaw. Given that this is a book about striving for goals what do you think Chris Hadfield would say to you if you were talking to him right now, be a 0 or be a +1? Filling up space or adding value?

Is it possible you and others have misinterpreted the title of a chapter to mean Hadfield thinks all anybody should aim for is neutral?

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

It would appear Col Hadfield's advice is well needed, but not well heeded.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Last edited by pelmet on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Rockie wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:16 pm
pelmet wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:06 am Come on Rockie, you sound jealous. You are telling us that "he has never done a day in his life"? I suspect he busted his ass getting his qualifications.
Sometimes I wonder if I'm speaking a different dialect of english.
Rockie wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:08 am Why aim for zero? Why not a +1?

I don't think Hadfield would ever say to aim for zero because he never did a day in his life.
This sentence means: Hadfield never aimed for zero a day in his life, his only goal ever was to be a +1.

It is a sentence used to illustrate why previous posters misinterpret his quote as striving for zero. He never did and would never advocate it because in his mind that simply isn't good enough. Get it Pelmet?

How you can misinterpret that as jealousy or anything but what it simply states is beyond me.
I may very well have misinterpreted what Hadfield was saying, but I am bang on when I said you are arrogant(as seen in this and so many of your replies). It amuses me when you actually say that Hadfield is arrogant. He has way more respect than you ever will..... :lol: and maybe even me :lol:

Why are you so jelous of him, he became famous for his accomplishments, not his interrnet angry posts.

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

Rockie wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:59 pm Tough question Outlaw. Given that this is a book about striving for goals what do you think Chris Hadfield would say to you if you were talking to him right now, be a 0 or be a +1? Filling up space or adding value?
I think he'd tell you not to be an asshole. Given that he is much more eloquent than I am, he'd probably say it in such a way that you would thank him for the advice.

Last edited by B208 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Skyhunter »

Pelmet, I am neither a Rockie advocate or detractor, but in all fairness, where did Rockie say Chris was arrogant. I read through twice and don't see him saying that. I have missed things before so maybe I am just too tired after a red eye last night, but I don't believe Rockie said that at all.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Rockie wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:59 pm +1 adds value according to Hadfield. Can't argue with that.

Zero does not add value nor does it take value away. It's just there.

-1 takes value away.

Aim for zero means don't proclaim yourself as a +1 or you'll automatically be seen as arrogant and a -1. But actually be a +1 and people will recognize it. He's pretty clear about that if you're into context at all.

Tough question Outlaw. Given that this is a book about striving for goals what do you think Chris Hadfield would say to you if you were talking to him right now, be a 0 or be a +1? Filling up space or adding value?

Is it possible you and others have misinterpreted the title of a chapter to mean Hadfield thinks all anybody should aim for is neutral?
Beside the point I have met and spoken with Chris Hadfield although it was before the book and before his 6 month mission to the space station.

Back to the point, please please read the book if you insist on commenting it here.

He means exactly what he says: Aim to be a zero! To be a zero means doing what is expected of you and most importantly doing it without mistakes that other team members would have to cover for. That's what he means by cost neutral. Sometimes, people's eagerness to be an asset to any team will lead them to want to do more than what is expected of them.... too often at the expense of doing their own job properly, making them a -1 in their teams' eyes. Aim to be a zero...do your job and concentrate on doing it well without mistakes. When you do that...THEN you will be seen as a +1

Oh and also...read the damn book!

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Read the book...and unlike some here I understood it. Anybody want to address my questions about -1 / 0 / +1?

Pelmet. Where do I say, or imply that I think Hatfield is arrogant? I think your irrational dislike of me is making you see things that aren’t there.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

I haven't read the book, but I did watch the movie:

I was in a Humane Society kennel the other night. I think the dogs in there were engaged in a more coherent and considered conversation than what this thread became.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I was the kid who built a flight simulator out of a few cardboard boxes on the lawn ('come to think of it, its demise was aging aircraft, not a crash, I guess I did okay!). I loved to fly, but never really thought I was particularly good at it. I was just so happy to be given the use of someone's plane in my teens, that I aimed to be a zero, and simply return it in the condition it was lent. It worked. I knew I was not a plus one, and I never had the nerve to pretend I was, I just slinked around the airport learning what I could, and cleaning what owners would let me clean. I was not a plus one.

But in hindsight, I must have been a plus 0.3, and in the company of some 0.2's, because people with planes were willing to lend them to me, and soon after, asking me to crew them. I think somewhere along the line, while the 0.2's were growing to be 0.3's, I must have blundered into a 0.4, 'cause I was given some pretty interesting tasks flying planes. A few 0.9's I admired ceased flying for various reasons, and I guess my 0.4 was good enough to take over what they had started.

Now, I'm delighted to look at my senior years as a pilot as maybe a 0.1, just fly for myself, and get the thing home safely, that'll do. I'll leave the fighting for plus one ness to the pilots who present themselves in all capitals! I have learned that I don't need to be a plus one, and I have nothing to prove in life now. The people with the really interesting jobs in flying, or anything else, are just looking for the person who's a solid 0.1 better than the rest of the crowd (who might really be -0.1's). To be seen as 0.1 better, you just have to be safe, conscientious, and not annoy your seniors and employer. Maybe you were already seen as a 0.9, and that last 0.1 makes you a plus one, but don't try to tell anyone that - just be happy someone lets you fly their plane!

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

PilotDAR wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:21 pm I was the kid who built a flight simulator out of a few cardboard boxes on the lawn ('come to think of it, its demise was aging aircraft, not a crash, I guess I did okay!). I loved to fly, but never really thought I was particularly good at it. I was just so happy to be given the use of someone's plane in my teens, that I aimed to be a zero, and simply return it in the condition it was lent. It worked. I knew I was not a plus one, and I never had the nerve to pretend I was, I just slinked around the airport learning what I could, and cleaning what owners would let me clean. I was not a plus one.

But in hindsight, I must have been a plus 0.3, and in the company of some 0.2's, because people with planes were willing to lend them to me, and soon after, asking me to crew them. I think somewhere along the line, while the 0.2's were growing to be 0.3's, I must have blundered into a 0.4, 'cause I was given some pretty interesting tasks flying planes. A few 0.9's I admired ceased flying for various reasons, and I guess my 0.4 was good enough to take over what they had started.

Now, I'm delighted to look at my senior years as a pilot as maybe a 0.1, just fly for myself, and get the thing home safely, that'll do. I'll leave the fighting for plus one ness to the pilots who present themselves in all capitals! I have learned that I don't need to be a plus one, and I have nothing to prove in life now. The people with the really interesting jobs in flying, or anything else, are just looking for the person who's a solid 0.1 better than the rest of the crowd (who might really be -0.1's). To be seen as 0.1 better, you just have to be safe, conscientious, and not annoy your seniors and employer. Maybe you were already seen as a 0.9, and that last 0.1 makes you a plus one, but don't try to tell anyone that - just be happy someone lets you fly their plane!
You're a plus one in my books.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Rockie wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:23 pm Read the book...and unlike some here I understood it. Anybody want to address my questions about -1 / 0 / +1?
I think he'd say it's more important to not be the -1 than to be the +1 and go from there.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Rockie wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:23 pm Read the book...and unlike some here I understood it. Anybody want to address my questions about -1 / 0 / +1?

Pelmet. Where do I say, or imply that I think Hatfield is arrogant?
Maybe I am seeing things.........Perhaps I misinterpreted your meaning and I think that is why B208 said earlier that you just corrected Hadfield. It looks like the statement could be interpreted two different ways("....he never did a day in his life" followed by "what he says in this quote....... It comes off as arrogant"). Posts should be written more clearly or less open to misinterpretation. But, I will assume that (a) You meant that he was talking about arrogance (b) not that Hadfield is arrogant (c) I misread or misinterpreted you post for whatever reason but mainly because it is very poorly written) (d) Based on that will apologize and (e) delete my previous posts (f) hope you write things clearly in the future.
Rockie wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:08 am Why aim for zero? Why not a +1?

I don't think Hadfield would ever say to aim for zero because he never did a day in his life.

What he says in this quote is to not proclaim you are a +1 one. It comes off as arrogant.

Last edited by pelmet on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Definitely don’t be a -1.

At least be a zero so you’re not actively impeding progress.

But I’ll ask the simple non-contentious question again that caused all the internet outrage. Why aim for zero, why not a +1? The effort alone puts you above zero.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I sold Chris Hadfield a a copy of the CFS and a Toronto VTA a couple of years ago. I wonder what that makes me.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

photofly wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:58 am I sold Chris Hadfield a a copy of the CFS and a Toronto VTA a couple of years ago. I wonder what that makes me.
..a cashier? :smt040 (Sorry, couldn't resist)

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Ha. That would be promotion.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

I am your father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:58 am I sold Chris Hadfield a a copy of the CFS and a Toronto VTA a couple of years ago. I wonder what that makes me.
Did his rocket fly through Canadian airspace?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship

Return to “General Comments”