Road Trip for airline position

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Road Trip for airline position

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

Any tips on how to set up chats with chief pilots at airlines ?

5000+ hrs with no offers of employment from the many airlines I have applied at via their online application processes for pilot position.
---------- ADS -----------

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Road Trip for airline position

Post by MrTurbine »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:27 am Any tips on how to set up chats with chief pilots at airlines ?

5000+ hrs with no offers of employment from the many airlines I have applied at via their online application processes.
Chief pilots at 705s will ask you to apply online anyway. They are big companies, so in person hangouts are not a thing. I wouldn’t ruin your chances of getting a job in one of those places by wasting their time.
Try finding an old friend in one of those places that could vouch for you.
Also, 5000+ hours and not getting through an online test in multiple places, could be a sign.
Ps. Good references go a very long way. Who you know, not what you know.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:27 am Any tips on how to set up chats with chief pilots at airlines ?

5000+ hrs with no offers of employment from the many airlines I have applied at via their online application processes for pilot position.
Curious, no offers, but how many interviews? Honestly.

Edit: this was his response:
Hi
No interviews.
I don't have a telephone.
They refuse to do anything over email, that's why I thought stopping by to chat with chief pilots be an option.
Should I hire a lawyer? I don't require a telephone to position. Discrimination is against labour code.
Cheers

So clearly trolling, or refuses on call reserve shifts.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

From one of the Georgian threads:
Roadrunnersmother wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:53 pm Their pay seems fair to me. I would gladly accept an offer of employment however they don't hire higher time candidates.
If you can't hired at GGN with 5000 hours in this climate, something is very, very wrong.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

They probably would like a candidate with a phone. But then again, it's not like a fundamental aspect of being an airline pilot has anything to do with communications, logistics and teamwork, so who knows?!

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

DanWEC wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:15 pm They probably would like a candidate with a phone. But then again, it's not like a fundamental aspect of being an airline pilot has anything to do with communications, logistics and teamwork, so who knows?!
Nah, just threaten them in your cover letter that you are in contact with the labor board. I'm sure they'll hire you right away without a phone.

Would be fun at the end of the interview
"we'll give you a call if we'd like to hire you"
-"but I don't have a phone"
"exactly!"

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

FL007 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:39 am

Curious, no offers, but how many interviews? Honestly.

Edit: this was his response:
Hi
No interviews.
I don't have a telephone.
They refuse to do anything over email, that's why I thought stopping by to chat with chief pilots be an option.
Should I hire a lawyer? I don't require a telephone to position. Discrimination is against labour code.
Cheers

So clearly trolling, or refuses on call reserve shifts.
Who hired him this whole time without a cell phone?
Sad day in the airline industry if people like this are coming out of the woodwork demanding airline jobs

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

[/quote]
Sad day in the airline industry if people like this are coming out of the woodwork demanding airline jobs
[/quote]

Only medevac positions require a telephone.

short bus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by short bus »

Get a phone or get on E I. Your call

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:05 pm
[/quote]

Only medevac positions require a telephone.
[/quote]

I'm pretty confident you're a troll but I'm bored. As I am an airline pilot who finished Being on reserve 3 minutes ago I can confirm that a phone is certainly necessary for an airline job.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

Nicky must have reformatted :roll:

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Time to face it. High time pilots aren't in demand any more. Airlines want kids who live at home. If you do get an interview, they'll second guess complex life decisions you made 15 years ago, and then they'll go an hire a kid who was in diapers 15 years ago. They'll want references from the past 3 aviation jobs you have had, and then they'll go and hire someone who's working their first job. Not just their first flying job, their first ever job.

Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Xonga013 »

co-joe wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:34 am Time to face it. High time pilots aren't in demand any more. Airlines want kids who live at home. If you do get an interview, they'll second guess complex life decisions you made 15 years ago, and then they'll go an hire a kid who was in diapers 15 years ago. They'll want references from the past 3 aviation jobs you have had, and then they'll go and hire someone who's working their first job. Not just their first flying job, their first ever job.
Sad but true.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Xonga013 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:16 am
co-joe wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:34 am Time to face it. High time pilots aren't in demand any more. Airlines want kids who live at home. If you do get an interview, they'll second guess complex life decisions you made 15 years ago, and then they'll go an hire a kid who was in diapers 15 years ago. They'll want references from the past 3 aviation jobs you have had, and then they'll go and hire someone who's working their first job. Not just their first flying job, their first ever job.
Sad but true.
Not really.

If you are an egg farmer and you can't find any laying hens to buy, would you buy a bunch of roosters, or a bunch of unsexed chicks?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Don't agree - plenty of jobs for experienced Type Rated Pilots globally.

When I get called to discuss employment it isn't by some HR type. The last employment call I had was from the A330 Chief Pilot - he said there were no vacancies on the A340 and would I be interested in a position on the A330 fleet? When I called back a few days later to explain that I had decided to take another job I was told to "Contact us if you need a job"

My last interview was a 20 minute informal chat followed by a visual circuit in the Simulator. This was on a Friday. Ground school started on Monday.

The only road trips I've done is to attend interviews/selection. All applications are online these days.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

I must have missed the part in the original poster's comments where he mentioned he is an experienced captain with a widebody type rating. (Hint: he didn't.) If he had said he's A330 rated and has command experience I would be more surprised he hasn't found employment. Glad it's worked out for you and all, but your personal experience (or mine) is hardly relevant to the OP's situation.

The comment you replied to doesn't claim there aren't plenty of jobs, only that experience is less in demand than it was. Hard to dispute that when you look how most recruiting offers are structured now: lower experience requirements, lower pay, higher bonds. But I'm not sure I could call some of those NTR job ads I've seen with the massive bonds "opportunities", more like indentured servitude.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

complexintentions wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:22 am I must have missed the part in the original poster's comments where he mentioned he is an experienced captain with a widebody type rating. (Hint: he didn't.) If he had said he's A330 rated and has command experience I would be more surprised he hasn't found employment. Glad it's worked out for you and all, but your personal experience (or mine) is hardly relevant to the OP's situation.

The comment you replied to doesn't claim there aren't plenty of jobs, only that experience is less in demand than it was. Hard to dispute that when you look how most recruiting offers are structured now: lower experience requirements, lower pay, higher bonds. But I'm not sure I could call some of those NTR job ads I've seen with the massive bonds "opportunities", more like indentured servitude.
@complex

The discussion is about Airline experience requirements with a statement that high time Pilots are not in demand. I disputed that with a few examples from my recent past.

I get hired because of the qualifications I bring to the table including experience - been like that for the last 19 years.

I'm guessing that you got hired at your present job for the same reason.

No argument about some of the NTR job ads - they're a disgrace.

For the OP:-

The Emirates Recruiting Team is rolling through Canada in July - I believe these are open days. Just show up with your documents.

From the ad:-
In response to the airline's expansion, we have made some changes to our requirements, which are designed to improve job security, and create more opportunities for pilots with Emirates, which will enhance career progression prospects.

If you have

- experience flying multi-engine, multi-crew, turboprop and/or jet aircraft, including business jets weighing at least 10 tonnes
- a valid ICAO ATPL (or USA equivalent) with an unrestricted class one medical certificate *Pilots with Frozen ATPL type rated on Airbus or Boeing can be invited for the selection on the proviso that they obtain a full ATPL prior to joining
- English language fluency to ICAO English Level 4 or above
- flown at least 150 hours within the last 12 months on an aircraft with MTOW ≥ 10T
Can't believe how low the requirements have become!

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Eric Janson wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:35 am
Don't agree - plenty of jobs for experienced Type Rated Pilots globally.

When I get called to discuss employment it isn't by some HR type. The last employment call I had was from the A330 Chief Pilot - he said there were no vacancies on the A340 and would I be interested in a position on the A330 fleet? When I called back a few days later to explain that I had decided to take another job I was told to "Contact us if you need a job"

My last interview was a 20 minute informal chat followed by a visual circuit in the Simulator. This was on a Friday. Ground school started on Monday.

The only road trips I've done is to attend interviews/selection. All applications are online these days.

You currently fly the A340. It is my favourite looking airplane always admired it as a graceful aircraft with its four engines, probably a joy to fly as well. I remember a few years back flying a TC C550 from YOW to YYR and one passed by us over Labrador, believe it was a -600 series with the bigger engines, can’t remember the airline. Had I had my iPhone 8(unheard of then) it would have made a stunning picture for me anyway.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Old fella wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:17 am You currently fly the A340. It is my favourite looking airplane always admired it as a graceful aircraft with its four engines, probably a joy to fly as well. I remember a few years back flying a TC C550 from YOW to YYR and one passed by us over Labrador, believe it was a -600 series with the bigger engines, can’t remember the airline. Had I had my iPhone 8(unheard of then) it would have made a stunning picture for me anyway.
Specially for you - a photo by somebody with a camera who knows how to use it.

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/phot ... -a340-500/

I was flying - and yes they're a pleasure to fly.

Back to the topic.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”