Aviation/Pilot Resume Writing

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

badmash
Rank 2
Rank 2

Aviation/Pilot Resume Writing

Post by badmash »

I was planning on writing my pilot resume for job applications and was wondering what would be some tips on what to include and what not to include in a pilot resume, being a fresh cpl I dont have much knowledge on the same.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

gooseinbc
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Aviation/Pilot Resume Writing

Post by gooseinbc »

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Aviation/Pilot Resume Writing

Post by Panama Jack »

Honestly and for what it's worth, I have two lines of thought on this.

You can do it yourself following some of the guidelines shown here or in other books or websites- make sure that you look though for resume's specifically for pilots. Embry-Riddle's career services website is a good resource with great examples for pilots and other aviation career professionals:
https://careerservices.erau.edu/resourc ... e-cv-tips/
Keep it one page, keep it simple, neat, and present the information that the employer is looking for and in the order that he is looking for it. Omit stuff that is unimportant, expect maybe near the bottom if you want to do a one-liner for your hobbies and interests. With demand as high as it is, for a first job you probably have a good shot if you meet their qualifications, have a valid license and a heartbeat.

The second thought is that once you have composed your thoughts and qualifications, get someone with real expertise to proof your resume and cover letter. Yes, it may cost you something but think of yourself as a service provider, and this is your marketing. Once you have a format down pat that looks good you can make the minor updates to your times, licenses or ratings, new jobs, etc. as time goes on. This is one well-known Canadian company I have used before over the years and they do a good job; cost is slightly more than renting an airplane for an hour at your local flying school.

https://www.pilotcareercenter.com/Pilot ... esign.aspx

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan

Return to “Employment Forum”