Ws Encore

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Ws Encore

Post by tps8903 »

Lightchop wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:43 pm
goingnowherefast wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:53 pm 3000-5000hr pilots taking an Encore job is depressing because that's apparently the best that pilot feels they can do. A pilot with that experience should be making a lot more money.
Agreed.
Or maybe, just maybe, some people are not motivated by the same things as you.

Not everyone's life is focused on flying the biggest airplane in the shortest time, or making as much money as possible.
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Old fella wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:04 pm
pelmet wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:38 pm
Lightchop wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:42 pm

Hardly, I'm in the seat that pays more at the Canadian regional of my choice.

What's depressing is that they are making they move now... there was a Fly Dubai Captain in a recent GS at Jazz. I always wonder why people with 5000 hours finally made the move to a regional. Waited for a call from mainline that never came?

Maybe Jazz offered him a half decent schedule as compared to flying a 737 at a company that apparently likes to switch guys back and forth between day and night shift in a land far away from home, probably with few blocks of days off to get home. Perhaps he is a high quality candidate who is artificially blocked from AC because he doesn't have what AC really feels makes you qualified for an interview....a degree in any old random subject.
[/quote

I always thought post secondary education was an asset not a hindrance, at least that is my interpretation.
Having a thought process that uses logic and common sense, good judgement, at least average flying skill are the assets asset(or what should be considered the asset). Your blanket statement of a post-secondary education is an asset actually proves the point(of a lack of logic and common sense that is). In rewality, I would say it depends. If it can be related to the piloting job, I would consider it as an asset. Maybe an education in meteorology or aerodynamics, etc. But if it i in something like architecture or geology, I would give the extra points to the guy who skipped that and did a few years of getting flying experience during the same time period(which may be more important anyways depending on the flight experience).

But it appears that the degree guys have gotten in charge of hiring at many airlines and on't like the idea of someone not having to do what they did.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

pelmet wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:39 am
pelmet wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:38 pm

Maybe Jazz offered him a half decent schedule as compared to flying a 737 at a company that apparently likes to switch guys back and forth between day and night shift in a land far away from home, probably with few blocks of days off to get home. Perhaps he is a high quality candidate who is artificially blocked from AC because he doesn't have what AC really feels makes you qualified for an interview....a degree in any old random subject.
[/quote

I always thought post secondary education was an asset not a hindrance, at least that is my interpretation.
Having a thought process that uses logic and common sense, good judgement, at least average flying skill are the assets asset(or what should be considered the asset). Your blanket statement of a post-secondary education is an asset actually proves the point(of a lack of logic and common sense that is). In rewality, I would say it depends. If it can be related to the piloting job, I would consider it as an asset. Maybe an education in meteorology or aerodynamics, etc. But if it i in something like architecture or geology, I would give the extra points to the guy who skipped that and did a few years of getting flying experience during the same time period(which may be more important anyways depending on the flight experience).

But it appears that the degree guys have gotten in charge of hiring at many airlines and on't like the idea of someone not having to do what they did.
I stand by my position in that I believe post secondary education is an asset and it is obvious many airlines have the same view. For those of us who are post secondary educated, work was required in whatever discipline entered and had to meet a requirement ,GPA if you will in order to confer that “piece of paper” after it was all over. They were earned, not given believe me. I bet there are undergraduate degree pilots who pursued Graduate studies while flying at major airlines(aka Air Canada)so I would suggest their “logic and common sense “ has served them well. Although unrelated to the topic but I will say it anyway in that I believe fluency(written and oral) in our other official language is an added asset along with post secondary education. Sadly for me personally that asset I do not possess.

See ya!

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Old fella wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:50 pm
pelmet wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:39 am

I stand by my position in that I believe post secondary education is an asset and it is obvious many airlines have the same view. For those of us who are post secondary educated, work was required in whatever discipline entered and had to meet a requirement ,GPA if you will in order to confer that “piece of paper” after it was all over. They were earned, not given believe me. I bet there are undergraduate degree pilots who pursued Graduate studies while flying at major airlines(aka Air Canada)so I would suggest their “logic and common sense “ has served them well. Although unrelated to the topic but I will say it anyway in that I believe fluency(written and oral) in our other official language is an added asset along with post secondary education. Sadly for me personally that asset I do not possess.

See ya!
Once again, I suggest you use reason and logic and read what I wrote previously. So a standard was met. Once again, that standard doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot for what it takes to be a competent pilot. I think that it would be safe to say that we have all met a few people who we would feel are not the kind of person that would likely have the personality that makes for being a competent pilot but do have a post-secondary education. Perhaps they were very impulsive, have bad judgement or just accident-prone. They may be quite smart and have the degree but it is foolish to think that this by itself equates to a better pilot. However, it can add to the qualification if in the right area.

It can be difficult to tell what the accident rate between pilots who have a degree and pilots that don't have a degree are. But.....we do know that the majors in the US have had the degree requirement for a long, long time. And while the rate of accidents worldwide has gone down dramatically in the last decade, going back in years starting from about 2010 or som there were some really stupid decision-making related accidents in the US at those majors.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

tps8903 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:00 pm
Lightchop wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:43 pm
goingnowherefast wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:53 pm 3000-5000hr pilots taking an Encore job is depressing because that's apparently the best that pilot feels they can do. A pilot with that experience should be making a lot more money.
Agreed.
Or maybe, just maybe, some people are not motivated by the same things as you.

Not everyone's life is focused on flying the biggest airplane in the shortest time, or making as much money as possible.
Some pilots are motivated by flying smaller planes for crap money and working way more?

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

tps8903 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:00 pm Or maybe, just maybe, some people are not motivated by the same things as you.

I agree with you, but none of those people are at Encore. It is the quintessential stepping stone.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Size of the plane doesn't matter. Money, schedule and career growth potential. It's a personal balancing act between all 3. Encore potentially has the 3rd one (depending on negotiations), and not so much of the first two. By 5000 hrs, a pilot typically is much further along in their career than being enticed by the career potential vs pay/schedule that Encore offers. Encore is set up to attract a single 23 year old 1500 hr pilot in today's job market.

Return to “General Comments”