2018 Pilot Hiring

Discuss topics related to Sunwing.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, Sulako, North Shore

Post Reply
DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by DHC-1 Jockey » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:29 pm

goleafsgo wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:02 am
Is there single day pairings offered at the temporary winter bases?
I believe there's a mix at all bases (single day and multi day pairings.)

Keep in mind that the winter and summer temporary bases are bid on several times per year. There are people who have been at a temporary base for years (by choice), so if your seniority holds it, it is essentially a permanent base. There are pilots who have flown exclusively out of YVR (for example) for many years. But, the company can terminate the temporary bases and you'll be forced back to YYZ or YUL.
---------- ADS -----------
  

nohojob
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:27 am

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by nohojob » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:23 am

Somebody corrects me if I am wrong. But typically, there are more layovers out of the western bases because they have longer flights. As for the eastern bases it is pretty easy to get day turns even with a low seniority according to my experience anyway.
---------- ADS -----------
  

jd832
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:37 am

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by jd832 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:59 pm

Upgrades went very junior this time around. Most junior captain awards were late 2017 hires.
---------- ADS -----------
  

whipline
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 571
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:40 am

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by whipline » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:37 pm

In fact the upgrade slots weren’t filled. Which might mean direct entry Captains.

Whip
---------- ADS -----------
  

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 410
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:46 am

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by skypirate88 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:40 pm

whipline wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:37 pm
In fact the upgrade slots weren’t filled. Which might mean direct entry Captains.

Whip
Why didn't they get filled? What are the requirements to upgrade? Seems strange they couldn't fill the seats
---------- ADS -----------
  
A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere

whipline
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 571
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:40 am

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by whipline » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Good question. I suspect it’s a bit of senior FO’s not wanting to have a “bad” schedule and getting last choice of deployed bases and all the hiring that’s taken place in the last few years.

Senior FO’s make equivalent of 130-150g and pick their schedules. I’d give it a second thought as well. Lifestyle definitely holds value.

Whip
---------- ADS -----------
  

cloak
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:08 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by cloak » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:04 pm

That's great news for Sunwing and its pilots to have good opportunities and appreciate experience in this pilot market.
---------- ADS -----------
  

jd832
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:37 am

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by jd832 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:13 pm

There are plenty of qualified FO's, but like one poster said, they didn't want to give up their senior FO schedules. Also some didn't think their seniority would hold it so they didn't even bid for the upgrade. I'm sure management is going to get a flood of emails from FO's who were under the impression that it would be another two years or so. With that said, you should always bid if you want it and never assume. 391 out of 399 was awarded upgrade. Talk about a Hail Mary pass of a bid. I'm sure his heart skipped a beat when he saw the award.
---------- ADS -----------
  

John Wick
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:14 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by John Wick » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:01 am

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if it's a good idea to apply to Sunwing with less than the minimums posted on the website. I'm currently at 800 TT and I know it's not even close but I just thought I would drop my application and keep updating it every so often. I heard a lot of great things and really want to work for them. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!
---------- ADS -----------
  

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:35 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by FL007 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:39 am

John Wick wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:01 am
Hi Everyone, I was wondering if it's a good idea to apply to Sunwing with less than the minimums posted on the website. I'm currently at 800 TT and I know it's not even close but I just thought I would drop my application and keep updating it every so often. I heard a lot of great things and really want to work for them. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!
Why not?
---------- ADS -----------
  

jd832
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:37 am

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by jd832 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:18 am

John Wick wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:01 am
Hi Everyone, I was wondering if it's a good idea to apply to Sunwing with less than the minimums posted on the website. I'm currently at 800 TT and I know it's not even close but I just thought I would drop my application and keep updating it every so often. I heard a lot of great things and really want to work for them. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

What type of flying are you doing right now?
---------- ADS -----------
  

John Wick
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:14 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by John Wick » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:10 am

jd832 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:18 am
John Wick wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:01 am
Hi Everyone, I was wondering if it's a good idea to apply to Sunwing with less than the minimums posted on the website. I'm currently at 800 TT and I know it's not even close but I just thought I would drop my application and keep updating it every so often. I heard a lot of great things and really want to work for them. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

What type of flying are you doing right now?
I'm currently instructing PPL,CPL,MIFR. Should be at 1000 TT with 50 hours Multi, by the end of the summer.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Jollyflyer
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:15 am

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by Jollyflyer » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:24 am

For Hiring under 2000. Would a pilot with 1200TT, and a light business jet type rating. Expect to get an interview call ? Flying experience is active charter flying. To USA, Canada, and Carribean.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Outlaw58
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 267
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:49 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by Outlaw58 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:24 am

...
---------- ADS -----------
  
Last edited by Outlaw58 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Outlaw58
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 267
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:49 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by Outlaw58 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:26 am

...
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
daedalusx
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:51 am

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by daedalusx » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:37 pm

Anyone got called for July GS yet ?
---------- ADS -----------
  
In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"

FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:25 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by FighterPilot » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:13 pm

What about those who applied last week when the newest ad came out. Any phone calls/emails for an interview?
---------- ADS -----------
  

TT1900
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 8:19 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by TT1900 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:48 pm

Jollyflyer wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:24 am
For Hiring under 2000. Would a pilot with 1200TT, and a light business jet type rating. Expect to get an interview call ? Flying experience is active charter flying. To USA, Canada, and Carribean.
Only one way to find out. FWIW, several people I used to work with have received interviews below the requirements posted and about 50% of that group received offers.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Spitfire0511
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:16 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by Spitfire0511 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:25 pm

Any news on the July ground school?
---------- ADS -----------
  

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by DHC-1 Jockey » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:44 pm

Spitfire0511 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:25 pm
Any news on the July ground school?
The July schedule shows 9 new hires for YYZ starting July 23rd, but no names are listed yet. I've heard that the first course or two will be cadets. Since they require a longer line-indoc period, they are started first to ensure that they get their hours in before the winter season starts.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Spitfire0511
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:16 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by Spitfire0511 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:04 pm

DHC-1 Jockey wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:44 pm
Spitfire0511 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:25 pm
Any news on the July ground school?
The July schedule shows 9 new hires for YYZ starting July 23rd, but no names are listed yet. I've heard that the first course or two will be cadets. Since they require a longer line-indoc period, they are started first to ensure that they get their hours in before the winter season starts.
Thanks DHC-1 Jockey, that means that the heavy of the new hiring will most likely start on August/September?
---------- ADS -----------
  

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by DHC-1 Jockey » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:07 pm

Spitfire0511 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:04 pm
That means that the heavy of the new hiring will most likely start on August/September?
I would think so. There were new-hire groundschools that started in December 2017 and January 2018, so I'd think courses of 10ish new-hires every month until at least December 2018. That's all subject to change at any time though based on requirements.
---------- ADS -----------
  

JetA Burner
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:14 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by JetA Burner » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:48 pm

No word on what they're doing with those of us that were pooled from December 2017 interviews? I hear some reference checks have been completed for some.

I suppose 10 July will be the tell all, if 23 July is the start date. Fingers crossed. The silence is killing us!
---------- ADS -----------
  

Spitfire0511
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:16 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by Spitfire0511 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:25 am

JetA Burner wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:48 pm
No word on what they're doing with those of us that were pooled from December 2017 interviews? I hear some reference checks have been completed for some.

I suppose 10 July will be the tell all, if 23 July is the start date. Fingers crossed. The silence is killing us!
Same here, I turned down two great job opportunities since I got the "good email" from Sunwing since I didn't want to go anywhere else.
---------- ADS -----------
  

garfield
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:35 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by garfield » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:45 am

They still hire cadets? They are short of applications from experienced people or what?
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “Sunwing”