Need a little help getting a "lift"

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Hockaloogie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Need a little help getting a "lift"

Post by Hockaloogie »

You could have stood out on the highway with your thumb out, and you'd be there by now.
---------- ADS -----------

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

Hockaloogie wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:59 am You could have stood out on the highway with your thumb out, and you'd be there by now.
He gets seasick, can't take the ferry, another excuse.. Lol

172_Captain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172_Captain »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:21 am
Hockaloogie wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:59 am You could have stood out on the highway with your thumb out, and you'd be there by now.
He gets seasick, can't take the ferry, another excuse.. Lol
Lol. Poor princess. I'm beginning to see why he's got financial problems.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

sanjet wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:51 am We are not even in a recession yet.
Just have some patience on that. That flight has departed and enroute here.

Kfarr87
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kfarr87 »

It's not self pity attitude, well not exactly.

I guess it couldn't hurt to tell you a little bit more. I had a job I hated that provided just enough to live on but not enough to ever really get anywhere. I budgeted well enough to live comfortably in that situation. I wanted more from life, the possibility of maybe a house or children or something one day. In my last year of working there some truely tragic events happened to me, I do not wish to talk about. I went through the process of moving and changing jobs. This put me in a position of making less for a time. I purchased a cheap beater car to make it through with the intention of keeping it for 24 months. 14 months in and the car was finished unrepairable. Since I'd started a new better job and didn't have the cash around to buy a decent car I made the decision to finance a new vehicle. In retrospect this was a very poor decision. However at the time it got me a vehicle at a cost barely more than leasing. I made a budget and the car fit in.

I also needed furniture, so some of my savings went there. I perhaps should not have spent the money but I felt it was the adult thing to do.

Then I had an accident and got both a ticket and a large deductible bill. These were obviously not budgeted for.

So when an unplanned event like an impromptu trip comes up in one of the hardest financial months of my life, while I experience medical problems, YES I am not properly prepared for it.

I simply asked for a little help in the hopes that it may be possible and that one of you may be able to look deep inside and remember a time when you weren't rolling in cash or remember what it takes for love.

Thank you

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

Kfarr87 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:24 am It's not self pity attitude, well not exactly.

I guess it couldn't hurt to tell you a little bit more. I had a job I hated that provided just enough to live on but not enough to ever really get anywhere. I budgeted well enough to live comfortably in that situation. I wanted more from life, the possibility of maybe a house or children or something one day. In my last year of working there some truely tragic events happened to me, I do not wish to talk about. I went through the process of moving and changing jobs. This put me in a position of making less for a time. I purchased a cheap beater car to make it through with the intention of keeping it for 24 months. 14 months in and the car was finished unrepairable. Since I'd started a new better job and didn't have the cash around to buy a decent car I made the decision to finance a new vehicle. In retrospect this was a very poor decision. However at the time it got me a vehicle at a cost barely more than leasing. I made a budget and the car fit in.

I also needed furniture, so some of my savings went there. I perhaps should not have spent the money but I felt it was the adult thing to do.

Then I had an accident and got both a ticket and a large deductible bill. These were obviously not budgeted for.

So when an unplanned event like an impromptu trip comes up in one of the hardest financial months of my life, while I experience medical problems, YES I am not properly prepared for it.

I simply asked for a little help in the hopes that it may be possible and that one of you may be able to look deep inside and remember a time when you weren't rolling in cash or remember what it takes for love.

Thank you

A new vehicle is not a need, furniture isn't a need, they are wants. let me guess you bought new furniture instead of going to local 2nd hand shop? You can finance a used car FYI.
Still you aren't saying why your GF won't help you out?
FYI. WestJet yyz to yyt return Jul 10 to 17 is just $500.44.
Around you a homeowner? Appliances can break, etc and cost way more than a ticket to NL. You say you have a budget but yet you can't come up with $500.44. clearly a budget isn't your strong point, people usually budget for travel.
Both you and GF have issues if both of you can't find $500.44 together with working full time jobs.
The positive is you are just like a lot of people in Canada who live beyond their means, most just like to impress the people around them.

jschnurr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jschnurr »

you may be able to look deep inside and remember a time when you weren't rolling in cash
I'll looked back at a time (2011) when my gross income was $24000 ($2000/month), living on my own in a different province than any of my family. I used a lawnchair in my living room, drove a 16yo truck, and didn't have data on my cellphone.

Gross: +$2000
Deductions: -$388
Apartment: -$675
Student Loan: -$191
Parking/Gas/Insurance: -$153
Phone/Internet: -$97
Food/personal: -$430
Charity: -$80
Remaining at end of month: +$180.

I was able to fly home every 3 months to see my family. I suppose I could have made a Gofundme, but I didn't think I needed to. I hope that anyone reading this will see that, in most cases, you make your own fate. It's all about priorities and what is important in life.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

jschnurr wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:34 pm
you may be able to look deep inside and remember a time when you weren't rolling in cash
I'll looked back at a time (2011) when my gross income was $24000 ($2000/month), living on my own in a different province than any of my family. I used a lawnchair in my living room, drove a 16yo truck, and didn't have data on my cellphone.

Gross: +$2000
Deductions: -$388
Apartment: -$675
Student Loan: -$191
Parking/Gas/Insurance: -$153
Phone/Internet: -$97
Food/personal: -$430
Charity: -$80
Remaining at end of month: +$180.

I was able to fly home every 3 months to see my family. I suppose I could have made a Gofundme, but I didn't think I needed to. I hope that anyone reading this will see that, in most cases, you make your own fate. It's all about priorities and what is important in life.
Charity -- on that income.
Very cool. Respect.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

A hitch hiking experience could be quite an interesting story for the rest of your life. I wonder if any car rental locations have had a car dropped off that needs to be returned. A backpack with camping gear will make the overnight free. The GF will be impressed at what you were willing to do to see her.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I once needed a "lift" to Halifax to pickup a car....I posted an ad on Kijiji offering vehicle transportation for the cost of fuel from Toronto area. Within 2 days I had the keys of a minivan in my hand that belonged to a doctor that took a job out there. He packed all his belongings into the van and took an airplane. His wife was originally going to drive, but decided it was too far. He was going to pay $1000 to have it shipped by train. It benefited both of us!

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
172_Captain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172_Captain »

Kfarr87 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:24 am So when an unplanned event like an impromptu trip comes up in one of the hardest financial months of my life, while I experience medical problems, YES I am not properly prepared for it.
Here’s a novel suggestion, maybe you don’t go and see her? She’s gone for 9 weeks. Say thanks but unable. Keep a photo of her in your wallet and Skype with her everyday. You seem to be forgetting that you don’t have to travel.

Anyway, I’m starting to thing this whole thing isn’t real and everyone in here is just getting trolled right now.

jschnurr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jschnurr »

172_Captain wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:51 pm I’m starting to thing this whole thing isn’t real and everyone in here is just getting trolled right now.
That is quite possible. Look at the other posts by kfarr87, whose name is "Keith" in another thread. I have fond memories of another avcanada user with the same name. :roll:

Kfarr87
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kfarr87 »

pelmet wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:22 pm A hitch hiking experience could be quite an interesting story for the rest of your life. I wonder if any car rental locations have had a car dropped off that needs to be returned. A backpack with camping gear will make the overnight free. The GF will be impressed at what you were willing to do to see her.
This is actually a very great idea. I hadn't thought of this.

I did consider driving as it os only like 24 hrs away. I added up fuel costs and they would have been comparable to airline ticket costs.

Kfarr87
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kfarr87 »

JasonE wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:18 pm I once needed a "lift" to Halifax to pickup a car....I posted an ad on Kijiji offering vehicle transportation for the cost of fuel from Toronto area. Within 2 days I had the keys of a minivan in my hand that belonged to a doctor that took a job out there. He packed all his belongings into the van and took an airplane. His wife was originally going to drive, but decided it was too far. He was going to pay $1000 to have it shipped by train. It benefited both of us!
I will try this, it actually sounds like it could work out well. Thank you

Kfarr87
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kfarr87 »

jschnurr wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:40 pm
172_Captain wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:51 pm I’m starting to thing this whole thing isn’t real and everyone in here is just getting trolled right now.
That is quite possible. Look at the other posts by kfarr87, whose name is "Keith" in another thread. I have fond memories of another avcanada user with the same name. :roll:
I actually am not infact trolling.
I have 3 current post threads. 1) where I was looking for work and willing to relocate anywhere for a reasonable income. 2) This same thread on the wrong board with no replys. 3) This thread.

I definitely understand other people's perspectives on this issue, and I do regret several life choices I have made. That being said I really am in a bit of a life mess, maybe it is one of my own making, but it is in fact real.

I was hoping for a little assistance, some of the posts here are really good ideas, while others are more like attacks on my character.

I fail to see how my original ask was such a horrible thing. If a aircraft is mostly empty, being relocated for some heavy maintenance, etc, etc, and there is some free space, having me aboard would only cost fuel.

I was hoping someone here was in the know about this kind of thing and would help me if able. That's really all I asked.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

Kfarr87 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:28 am I definitely understand other people's perspectives on this issue, and I do regret several life choices I have made. That being said I really am in a bit of a life mess, maybe it is one of my own making, but it is in fact real.

I was hoping for a little assistance, some of the posts here are really good ideas, while others are more like attacks on my character.

I fail to see how my original ask was such a horrible thing. If a aircraft is mostly empty, being relocated for some heavy maintenance, etc, etc, and there is some free space, having me aboard would only cost fuel.

I was hoping someone here was in the know about this kind of thing and would help me if able. That's really all I asked.
I'm sorry things are tough for you right now, and people indeed have been pretty hard on you. I think maybe they have forgotten that when we are young we sometimes make poor life decisions that cause us grief,and even though some of the problems may be of our own doing (like your poor choice with the car), some are not (like medical issues). Regardless of whether or not we dug the hole ourselves, it's still dark and discouraging at the bottom, and I hope you will be through your troubles soon and can be at peace with where you are at in the meantime.

I know that being away from your girlfriend for 9 weeks feels really long, but for may people, this is actually their routine work rotation. I work with a group of people who are posted away from their families (including many with small children) for anywhere from 8-12 weeks at a time - 12 home, 12 weeks away, year in and year out. Some of the people here who have been hardest on you may have experienced that, or may be doing it now. In a mature and loving relationship, it's not really fun, but it's not the end of the world. With cheap/free long distance, facetime, skype, e-mail, etc, it's certainly a lot easier to do now that a few decades ago.

I think that one thing you also don't realize, is that for those here who are pilots, we sometimes get bombarded with requests from not only family and friends, but passing acquaintances, and would you believe sometimes even strangers we've just met to "hey, if you have a spare seat/buddy pass" and it gets old really fast. It's sometimes grating that someone who would never give us the time of day or may not even know us at all would like something from us that often isn't even ours to give. But if it was/is, wouldn't you think we'd like to take our families or friends along? I agree that it's nice to help people, but when I make an offer to someone, that feels like helping; when someone I don't even know requests a rare commodity of mine, that feels like being used. I don't mean to be harsh on you, but I do want to help you understand where some of the animosity is coming from.

bring me the horizon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bring me the horizon »

If the simpsons have taught me anything, it's that anything is plausible.

https://youtu.be/S9kA-xOTZUc?t=1m46s

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

There is also the issue of responsibility should you be injured or killed in an accident.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Sorry. I still see this thread like this: (one of many)

https://www.gofundme.com/Helpmecompletingmytraining

When there are so many stories like this.

https://www.gofundme.com/wesoamo-childcancer-fund

Yeah I wonder which one I would rather help.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

The answer is no. The long explanations of why not aren't necessary.

Return to “General Comments”