Have I just got an Air Canada PFO???

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

DHC7DVR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Have I just got an Air Canada PFO???

Post by DHC7DVR »

Hey Guys,

I did the interview process back in April, and got an email back a few weeks ago that has had me scratching my head to be honest. Not sure of the exact wording, but it goes something like...

“Dear Awesome Dude, thankyou for interviewing with us...blah blah blah.....we are not hiring at the moment, but will be again in the fall of this year, and throughout 2019. However, if you haven’t heard back from us within 12 months, then please assume your application was unsuccessful....blah blah blah...etc..”

My question is.....while that certainly is no offer of employment in any way, is it actually a PFO??? I fully understand that there maybe perfectly good legal reasons as to the ‘flowery language’, and I’m certainly under no illusion that I’m off to ground school at anytime in the foreseeable future, but should I just put AC to one side and get on with enjoying my life as it is now?

Cheers!
---------- ADS -----------

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Have I just got an Air Canada PFO???

Post by altiplano »

I think it's a noncommittal reply... They don't want to leave guys hanging in a pool again... but they wanted to get back to you in the time frame they saif they would when you interviewed...

Take it for what it is, you're in the mix of things... Hope for an offer when groundschools start up again, or reapply/move on with your life if you don't hear back.

But I wouldn't turn down any opportunities waiting on an unsure thing.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

How can you be unsure of the exact wording? It's an email.

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

DHC7DVR wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:51 pm Hey Guys,

I did the interview process back in April, and got an email back a few weeks ago that has had me scratching my head to be honest. Not sure of the exact wording, but it goes something like...

“Dear Awesome Dude, thankyou for interviewing with us...blah blah blah.....we are not hiring at the moment, but will be again in the fall of this year, and throughout 2019. However, if you haven’t heard back from us within 12 months, then please assume your application was unsuccessful....blah blah blah...etc..”

My question is.....while that certainly is no offer of employment in any way, is it actually a PFO??? I fully understand that there maybe perfectly good legal reasons as to the ‘flowery language’, and I’m certainly under no illusion that I’m off to ground school at anytime in the foreseeable future, but should I just put AC to one side and get on with enjoying my life as it is now?

Cheers!
Not a PFO, yet. It’s like they have your application status inactive, but it’s not successful \ unsuccessful yet. They just stopped doing GSs for a few months. It’ll start up again. Just hang tight, but don’t quit your day job. If you are lucky (like a bunch of others I know that are waiting as well), they will pick it back up where you left off in the fall. If they take too long, after 12 months, just reapply and try again, no biggie.

Good luck.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

My PFO ended with something like “we wish you the best of luck with your aviation career” :mrgreen: so I would say they’re just leaving you to guess for now and you can probably reapply.

Let’s Go Brandon
paddy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by paddy »

If your resume reads like you subject line then likely yes.

Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Alcoholism »

paddy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:13 pm If your resume reads like you subject line then likely yes.
From "you" reply, looks like you got one/should've.

paddy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by paddy »

Your write

Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Alcoholism »

:drink:

DHC7DVR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DHC7DVR »

Thanks guys,

Just out of curiosity, how long was the wait between interview..(and the subsequent email)...and a call for a start date and ground school?

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Depending on where you're coming from (express or OTS) and experience, anywhere from 5 to 8 months.

DHC7DVR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DHC7DVR »

Just got a nod from one of my references, that they just got a call from AC yesterday; which I'm going to take as a positive sighn. I was interviewed back in April, and buddies at AC have both said that they understand that ground schools are going to start again in September.

I guess we shall see.....

JLA
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JLA »

DHC7DVR wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:35 pm Just got a nod from one of my references, that they just got a call from AC yesterday; which I'm going to take as a positive sighn. I was interviewed back in April, and buddies at AC have both said that they understand that ground schools are going to start again in September.

I guess we shall see.....
Have you heard from Air Canada for a GS offer?

DHC7DVR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DHC7DVR »

Got the call!!

GS on the 1st Oct. (I've got to say that the formula pay is going to be a SERIOUS hit though...still agonizing over that)...

Anyone in the know have any idea what types will be on offer on the October GS???

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

DHC7DVR wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:11 am Got the call!!

GS on the 1st Oct. (I've got to say that the formula pay is going to be a SERIOUS hit though...still agonizing over that)...

Anyone in the know have any idea what types will be on offer on the October GS???
The "Formula pay" is not the main problem... it's the 4 year "Flat pay" that's excessively poor. We seriously need to address it... practically new hires are going into the right seat of the 777 & 330 now for $60 or $80 an hour while our colleagues to the South pay double that rate by year 2 in a narrowbody... one of many things...

anyway...Congrats! Despite that initial pay problem you'll have a great career here.

I'd expect mostly YYZ, mostly mainline, 320 FO, 737 FO, 767 FO, maybe 777 RP on offer... you might see a few LCC 320 FO spots too.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

altiplano wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:35 am
DHC7DVR wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:11 am Got the call!!

The "Formula pay" is not the main problem... it's the 4 year "Flat pay" that's excessively poor. We seriously need to address it... practically new hires are going into the right seat of the 777 & 330 now for $60 or $80 an hour while our colleagues to the South pay double that rate by year 2 in a narrowbody... one of many things...

anyway...Congrats! Despite that initial pay problem you'll have a great career here.

I'd expect mostly YYZ, mostly mainline, 320 FO, 737 FO, 767 FO, maybe 777 RP on offer... you might see a few LCC 320 FO spots too.
It'll be quite interesting to see what they actually raise the wages to, should they in fact depart from the 4-year flat pay.

While not having any direct evidence to support my bold statement, I believe it is one of the driving factors in smaller part to the wage stagnation and suppression in the industry.

How can companies like Westjet, Morningstar, Cargojet, Sunwing and Transat justify paying North American market wages for flight crew, when the ONLY legacy carrier in Canada won't?

And justifying - not that you did altiplano, but I feel others will - through the short roll of the dice to captaincy on a reserve schedule for the next 2-5 years on the burrito or bus, doesn't equate to nulling out the many that have to endure the 4 year flat pay.

Interesting times to come.

S.

Return to “Employment Forum”